View Poll Results: What would you feel safer in at 120 MPH
Deep V - i.e. (Outerlimits,Cig Maximus,Fountain)
37.78%
Cat - i.e (Skater, MTI,Spectre,Nor Tech)
62.22%
Voters: 315. You may not vote on this poll

Like Tree0Likes

Whats Safer at 120 - V or Cat

Old 02-04-2004, 03:08 PM
Registered

My Boats: boatless

Thanks, good info
Old 02-04-2004, 03:16 PM
T2x
Allergic to Nonsense
Platinum Member

My Boats: 1966 !8' Switzer Wing "Miss Diablo" 1968 Switzer Wing "Dust'n the Wind 2",, 1960 Powercat 15C , 1977 17' Molinari w/Evinrude CCC

Quote:
Originally posted by SS930
And the driving ability it takes to run that boat at those speeds....
All things being equal it takes less skill and effort to drive a cat at 100 ....than a vee at 100....but it takes a lot of skill to drive 100...... regardless of the boat design.

T2x
Old 02-04-2004, 03:56 PM
Registered

My Boats: 1998 Wellcraft 22' Scarab

Quote:
Originally posted by Lapse of Reason
Robyw1, The salt flats are a long way from the east side of VA. There is an old airport in NC. where they do speed runs for world records. My buddies Busa went 191 with no motor work done. I perfer to Roadrace on a track, but a $1000 drag race will get me on the street or drag strip.
As far as top end top speed it's not hard to get a car like yours to go real fast maybe faster than a Busa or ZX12, but for you to beat me on a GSXR1000 or R1 in a 1/4 mile dead stop drag race, It won't happen I have seen the video and heard the people (Supra people) say they do it and let me tell you the guys in the Video CAN'T RIDE I don't care who they say they are or who they have beat.
A friend of mine Jason Miller his dad owns Maryland Internatinal Raceway he has a stock wheel base just lowerd pipe and remap, he runs mid 8's in the 1/4 I have seen him many times give Supras that run high 9's low 10's 2cars and the kick and still be brake lighting them at the end.
So if you want to come up to NC. maybe we can hook up and play, top speed isn't what I say the Supras can't beat the bikes at but it would be fun to play, I just don't think any car is as fast as the big sportbikes from a stop.

I fully admit you will have me in the 1/4 mile since mine only runs low 10s at 150-MPH. The fastest Supra in the 1/4 is 8:90 at 163. Here is a video link.

http://highboost.com/movies/TitanRace/titan890a.mpeg

Roby
Old 02-04-2004, 03:56 PM
Registered

My Boats: 98 NORTECH 5000V

The report said Chris hit a wake caught air and started flipping. I wasn't there so the report is all I had.
Old 02-04-2004, 04:00 PM
Registered

My Boats: 1998 Wellcraft 22' Scarab

Oh, to everyone, I'm sorry for hijacking this thread. I will post no more here.

Roby
Old 02-04-2004, 04:01 PM
Registered

My Boats: 98 NORTECH 5000V

The Fastest Supra will lose to the fastest 600cc sportbike I have seen in drag race then, It's lowerd, streched, and on NOS but the motor is stock.
Old 02-04-2004, 04:27 PM
WickedWon

Default Face It

Nobody who's been in both in excess of 100mph has any question about big cats being more stable ( and safer ) at big speeds The point is moot, as a matter of fact my big problem ( and I think for some others) is loosing touch with the speed at which you are traveling. Sitting down behind quarter canopies ( and with less pounding) I lose touch and have to force myself to focus, it's kinda surreal.
I do feel that the difference between a 36' and a 40'+ cat is substantial in the rough. After many hours of running next to and watching the smaller ones( under 39') trying to run in the rough( not pretty), I've literally slowed down so as not to tempt them into a problem.
Why don't I own a cat ? Cause there is more to boating than just going fast, and the sensations that I grew up with and look forward to when I push the throttles forward just aren't there for me, go figure...

T2x The crash in Baltimore and the sinking of my boat, Dramamine, was not a result of chine walking, Mr. Lily and his new driver ( John Morris) simply hooked in the turn and ran over Bruce and Jeff. I will say that the 1999 Pier 57 Fountain had one of the nastiest chine walks ever, that thing "tested" Art regularly.

Jim

Old 02-04-2004, 05:18 PM
T2x
Allergic to Nonsense
Platinum Member

My Boats: 1966 !8' Switzer Wing "Miss Diablo" 1968 Switzer Wing "Dust'n the Wind 2",, 1960 Powercat 15C , 1977 17' Molinari w/Evinrude CCC
Default Re: Face It

Quote:
Originally posted by WickedWon
T2x The crash in Baltimore and the sinking of my boat, Dramamine, was not a result of chine walking, Mr. Lily and his new driver ( John Morris) simply hooked in the turn and ran over Bruce and Jeff. I will say that the 1999 Pier 57 Fountain had one of the nastiest chine walks ever, that thing "tested" Art regularly.

Jim
Jim:

Having flown over that boat, in a helicopter..that day... and............ commented on TV that the rookie John Morris could not get the chine walk out of the hull for the entire race leading up to the crash...... and........ having predicted to our cameraman and pilot...to stay on that boat..... because....... I knew 2 laps before the accident that it was definitely going over.....I have to disagree with you and state that, at the very least, chine walking contributed to the hook and roll that ended with the "t-boning" you mentioned.

I always enjoyed your boat....and covered it and your team favorably...... but this was a case of the other boat wobbling all over the course on the ragged edge.

regards:

Rich
Old 02-04-2004, 05:41 PM
Official OSO boat whore
Charter Member
Trade Score: (2)

My Boats: 8' row boat

Quote:
Originally posted by Reed Jensen
• Jan. 12 — Los Angeles County Sheriff’s officials locate the body of Ken Lane, 41, of La Canada as dive team members search for the bodies of three men who are feared dead after the boat they were riding in flipped and capsized on Castaic Lake. Sheriff officials said they believe the boat was traveling approximately 80 mph around 2 p.m. on the upper lake when it flipped and sank some 240 feet. This was a new cat that was being tested.

Reed-are you talking about the HTM crash? I believe you are. If so, then that was manufacturer error-not a cat/v hull issue. The boat spun because of a gimble failure. They were putting way too much hp through a bravo and it simply broke.
Old 02-04-2004, 05:47 PM
Registered

Quote:
Originally posted by Cord
Reed-are you talking about the HTM crash? I believe you are. If so, then that was manufacturer error-not a cat/v hull issue. The boat spun because of a gimble failure. They were putting way too much hp through a bravo and it simply broke.
Yes... that is the crash that I'm talking about.. I never heard why it crashed... only knew it was a cat... thanks for the info.. Where did you learn of the reason? I live right here in LA and kept my eyes open for any news and never saw any...Furthermore... would the same end result have happened if the failure was on a vee? I don't think so due to the fact that the engines aren't so far apart. There is a joke amongst pilots.... the purpose of having twin engines on an airplane is so that the running engine can power you directly to the crash site of the failed engine!

Last edited by Reed Jensen; 02-04-2004 at 05:50 PM.