Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Whats Safer at 120  -  V or Cat >

Whats Safer at 120 - V or Cat

Notices
View Poll Results: What would you feel safer in at 120 MPH
Deep V - i.e. (Outerlimits,Cig Maximus,Fountain)
37.78%
Cat - i.e (Skater, MTI,Spectre,Nor Tech)
62.22%
Voters: 315. You may not vote on this poll

Whats Safer at 120 - V or Cat

Old 02-04-2004, 12:21 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Shane: that covers another question I wondered about, my fear of blowing over is not stemmed from the few cats I've been in because they were all in calm water. Its from the vee's in big water that occasionally launch bow up to the point that I have felt that if I was in an air entrapment hull it would have gone the other way. Do cats balanced properly not fly bow high like that due to hull design, balance etc.? My boat flies fairly level, but there have been a few times in unpredictable seas where she'll stand up unless trimmed way down.
Old 02-04-2004, 12:28 PM
Registered

I starting the hot air popcorn machine.......
I thought I heard the machine kick on.

This is some good info being posted here....keep it going
Old 02-04-2004, 12:36 PM
Registered

I think I'll refrain from this discusssion since:
A) My budget has only allowed me to own a cat that runs under 110mph.
B) My budget has only allowed me to own a V that runs under 80mph.
C) T2x just gave his input
D) I just figured out who KiloKat is.
E) All of the above.
The answer is "E"
Gary

Last edited by Gary Anderson; 02-04-2004 at 12:40 PM.
Old 02-04-2004, 12:47 PM
Registered

Robyw1, The salt flats are a long way from the east side of VA. There is an old airport in NC. where they do speed runs for world records. My buddies Busa went 191 with no motor work done. I perfer to Roadrace on a track, but a $1000 drag race will get me on the street or drag strip.
As far as top end top speed it's not hard to get a car like yours to go real fast maybe faster than a Busa or ZX12, but for you to beat me on a GSXR1000 or R1 in a 1/4 mile dead stop drag race, It won't happen I have seen the video and heard the people (Supra people) say they do it and let me tell you the guys in the Video CAN'T RIDE I don't care who they say they are or who they have beat.
A friend of mine Jason Miller his dad owns Maryland Internatinal Raceway he has a stock wheel base just lowerd pipe and remap, he runs mid 8's in the 1/4 I have seen him many times give Supras that run high 9's low 10's 2cars and the kick and still be brake lighting them at the end.
So if you want to come up to NC. maybe we can hook up and play, top speed isn't what I say the Supras can't beat the bikes at but it would be fun to play, I just don't think any car is as fast as the big sportbikes from a stop.
Old 02-04-2004, 01:02 PM
Registered

top fuel
Old 02-04-2004, 01:29 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
Default How long a v keep those speeds

before the envelope closes. is it greater than the Cat?

Originally posted by Lapse of Reason
We just lost Chris Parker last week because of that.
Just a side note Lapse and I leave it at that. Chris did not blow over....

"With the sincerest respect for those affected by any boating accident, I would like to address a couple of questions posted here. Most accidents involving cats do not involve a blowover. Rather, they can land wrong (sponson first), hook, then rollover."

Thanks KiloKat.

Maximus

This Discussion should be centered on weather the risk charateristics of a single Hull Vs Twin hull boat lean one way or the other.

Once a V starts to Chine at 120-130 is it possible to recover? Seems to me she could hook just as quick as a cat

Last edited by Maximus; 02-04-2004 at 01:33 PM.
Old 02-04-2004, 01:55 PM
Registered

Originally posted by JUST ONCE
Shane: that covers another question I wondered about, my fear of blowing over is not stemmed from the few cats I've been in because they were all in calm water. Its from the vee's in big water that occasionally launch bow up to the point that I have felt that if I was in an air entrapment hull it would have gone the other way. Do cats balanced properly not fly bow high like that due to hull design, balance etc.? My boat flies fairly level, but there have been a few times in unpredictable seas where she'll stand up unless trimmed way down.
Just once,
Typically a cat that is balanced and trimmed properly will be less prone to "kiting" than a vee. Again so much of this is dependent upon the operator having experience and knowing what they are doing. When watching the smaller boats run in race situations i.e. Factory 1, watch how often these 25-30 foot vee bottoms fly bow high. I am not saying that this is something "every F1 boat" does etc., but frequently you will see them fly as such. Then look at the 28 Skaters and 30 Spectres and 30 AMT's running in "S" class. Note there consistant angle of attack. It is consistantly flat. I am not belittling vees or F1 boats, nor am I speaking in a derogatory fashion about them. It is simply inherent in their nature. The ever present "chine walk" is also something of great concern as has been mentioned here. ALL vees do it at some point or another. Each boat simply has a different threshold. Certainly there are "rogue" waves that both a cat and a vee may hit that will catch you off guard and send any boat bow high. However, this is not the norm.
Old 02-04-2004, 01:55 PM
Registered

Originally posted by JUST ONCE
Cat or V, if the boat is setup properly then they will not fly bow high. The big air thread should be renamed "What happens when you don't set up a boat properly." As for trimming Skaters, neutral is where it's at.
Attached Thumbnails Whats Safer at 120  -  V or Cat-tellium.jpg  
Old 02-04-2004, 02:06 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

• Jan. 12 — Los Angeles County Sheriff’s officials locate the body of Ken Lane, 41, of La Canada as dive team members search for the bodies of three men who are feared dead after the boat they were riding in flipped and capsized on Castaic Lake. Sheriff officials said they believe the boat was traveling approximately 80 mph around 2 p.m. on the upper lake when it flipped and sank some 240 feet. This was a new cat that was being tested.
Old 02-04-2004, 02:07 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Pop... pop popopopopop.... popcorn getting hot!

Quick Reply: Whats Safer at 120 - V or Cat

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.