21.31%
Big Inch NA
27.87%
Voters: 61. You may not vote on this poll

Supercharge or Turbocharge

Old 02-04-2004, 04:05 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Super chargers have their own oil supply for the gears.. Turbos have to have engine oil plumbed to them. Then if you shut down while they are hot... you coke up the center sections. Turbochargers are perfect for airplanes. Lots of cooling air and constant engine rpm's. As the air gets thinner the turbo works better than a supercharger. A Turbo is more efficient because it captures the wasted energy going down the exhaust pipe. The big drawback that I experienced was the corrosion, the heat, and the turbo lag. If your boat is going to be cruising at a steady speed all the time on fresh water... such as crossing one of the great lakes.. and you aren't coming on and off the throttles.. they work great... But if you want to be able to blast up the face of a wave... throttle back ... and then slam the sticks down on the backside of the wave... go with the superchargers. MY .02 worth.
Old 02-04-2004, 04:09 PM
Registered

Originally posted by KH0302
Why give away 10% crank HP to a blower pully?

TURBO!

Reed, it sounds like you were running lean if you had that much heat to mess up exhaust studs.
..... The problem wasn't so much from heat... as it was from electrolysis... The aluminum manifolds had welded themselves to the studs.
Old 02-04-2004, 04:18 PM
Official OSO boat whore
Charter Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Turbos in a closed engine boat are a real hassel. The exhaust must be stainless or it will crack. I believe the coasties will require it to be water jacketed. They won't accept a system with thermal wrap. That'll put the custom exhaust alone around $7k! A blower can be used with stock manifolds for around $1500. A boat also can not rev like a car, so turbo lag when planing can be a significant issue.
Old 02-04-2004, 04:34 PM
Registered

I agree with what others are saying here. Supercharge it. Lot less hassle from what I've witnessed. That little Scarab should fly when your done.....I need to do the same thing to my Hammer.
Old 02-04-2004, 04:57 PM
Registered

Originally posted by Cord
Turbos in a closed engine boat are a real hassel. The exhaust must be stainless or it will crack. I believe the coasties will require it to be water jacketed. They won't accept a system with thermal wrap. That'll put the custom exhaust alone around $7k! A blower can be used with stock manifolds for around $1500. A boat also can not rev like a car, so turbo lag when planing can be a significant issue.
That is another issue unto it's self... when you have to water jacket the exhaust... you lose the heat from the expanding gasses and the turbo becomes less efficient. I can remember a few years ago Chev racing dept was trying to adapt a big block with sleeves down to the size of a small block... and run multiple turbos with heat wrap.... I think they weren't allowed to run... and they also had such development problems they pulled the plug on the project. Any one else remember the story?
Old 02-04-2004, 05:18 PM
The Illustrious One
Charter Member

One main thing you have to remember is that a turbo puts a constant blue flame into the engine manifold.
Old 02-04-2004, 05:21 PM
speel chekk this fokker!
Charter Member

if you lauch alot you have to throttle back to keep from killign yoru engien and drive (if you go fully airborne) and withat turbo when you thorrlte back the loose exhuast pressure and boost. Then when you land and power back up you have have to wait for eth turbos to spool up again.
Old 02-04-2004, 05:55 PM
Registered

The technological advances in the turbocharger/EFI industry in the last year have been more than the last five combined. My personal turbo exp. is with big bore Suzuki 1300s. I had one that made 305hp at the rear wheel, bike was scary. That was in 2001. Now, the same guy who I bought my turbo from can build you a 500lb. bike with 575hp at the rear wheel---streetable. It's all in the 'tronics---and most of these are intercooled.
IMHO putting an intercooler in a boat would be a necessary mechanical challenge, seems to me you'd have to completely shroud it with a fan(s) to get the heat out of the boat. If one could do that, using an air cooled(fans) intercooler or getting kinky with a dry ice system, on a big block with strong rods, a lot of horsepower can be made.

Aug. 2003 issue of Chevy High Performance mag has a vette with a twin turbo intercooled 400 sbc making 1300hp on pump gas, daily driver. SICK.
Old 02-04-2004, 05:58 PM
Registered

And if you could build an efficient intercooler system, you wouldn't have to use foot wide slow spool monster wheels that make boocoo heat. And no blue flame down the gullet...
Old 02-04-2004, 06:30 PM
Registered

How do you figure an intercooler will help with the blue flame effect... all the intercooler does is help keep the detonation under control by cooling the intake charge..... The more you stuff into the cylinder... the more that comes out the exhaust and pushes that much more into the cylinders until the waste gate opens or the turbo is limited by the size of the nozzle, and your statement. "getting kinky with a dry ice system" Part of NOT going with turbos is so that you DO NOT have to get all kinky with tricks. Who wants to stop at the dry ice plant to go boating? Some people want reliable horsepower with out having to resort to voodoo efforts.

Quick Reply: Supercharge or Turbocharge

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.