Notices

Dumb sellers

Old 02-22-2004, 12:30 PM
mlitefan

Good luck on the search bud. Anything in particular you are looking at?

I went to the Richmond boat show yesterday. This has to be the worst boat show in the country...unless you are looking for pontoon or fishing boats.

One 35 Fountain...I Baja 25 Outlaw, 272 and Baja H2X.

I can't believe I allowed myself to go again.

Old 02-22-2004, 12:34 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just looking right now. Hey Philly doesn't even have a boat show anymore.
Old 02-22-2004, 12:37 PM
Member #2 ....Jeeezz
Charter Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I bought my latest boat from 3000 miles away without ever seeing it in person ... I did my homework ... got pics ... asked plenty of questions ... and worked through a respected dealer/broker, Phil at Lip-ship Performance. I may have paid a small premium for using a broker but it has paid for itself many times over through customer service, assistance with the financing headache and taking care of the little things that were not quite right.

I also bought a Cafe Racer from 3000 miles away from a private party. Again, with a lot of homework, picture and conversations, I felt comfortable flying to do a final sea trial. The seller was a Cigarette enthusiast and took really good care of me for the day I was there. I closed the deal right then and there.

There are many ways to buy a used boat and just as many ways to get screwed. Every situation is not going to work the way you think it should. The private party world is not to be taken lightly, protect yourself with as much research as possible and don't start crying when things aren't as expected.

As far as selling nightmares ... I've been there too

G
Old 02-22-2004, 12:38 PM
mlitefan

One of these days I am going to go to a real boat show. Maybe I can swing Miami next year.

Good luck on the search...

Old 02-22-2004, 12:39 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

I'm gonna do my best to See Miami next year
Old 02-22-2004, 12:56 PM
Member #2 ....Jeeezz
Charter Member

Originally posted by Baja Fresh
I hate the ads that have no price but then say "serious inquiries only" !

How are you going to be serious if you don't know what they are asking?
If you are a serious buyer, it doesn't matter. You should already know the market value ... you are not going to pay more because the seller list it for more than you think it's worth. If the seller is serious, he'll sell it for a reasonable offer. It may be the boat of your dreams that you passed because the seller didn't list a price.

I think all the hate comes from shoppers who have no boat in particular that they are looking for. With the price listed, you get all the calls, but you have to educate the buyer about the boat for them to learn that boat is not really for them.

I consider a serious buyer, one who already knows what model boat they are going to buy. If a seller only wants to work with that kind of buyer, that's his choice. If a seller want to list a price and entertain all potential buyers, figuring he can convince the buyer that his is the boat for them, that's their choice.

G

Last edited by cigarette1; 02-22-2004 at 01:06 PM.
Old 02-22-2004, 01:12 PM
Member #2 ....Jeeezz
Charter Member

Come on .... I know someone is out there ready to blast my post out the water

G
Old 02-22-2004, 01:23 PM
Registered

Received 482 Likes on 162 Posts

Originally posted by Too Old
Tell me where you want it delivered.
Tell ME where you want this delivered!

LS JR.
Attached Thumbnails Dumb sellers-rightside2.jpg  
Old 02-22-2004, 06:13 PM
Registered

Originally posted by cigarette1
If you are a serious buyer, it doesn't matter. You should already know the market value ... you are not going to pay more because the seller list it for more than you think it's worth. If the seller is serious, he'll sell it for a reasonable offer. It may be the boat of your dreams that you passed because the seller didn't list a price.

I think all the hate comes from shoppers who have no boat in particular that they are looking for. With the price listed, you get all the calls, but you have to educate the buyer about the boat for them to learn that boat is not really for them.

I consider a serious buyer, one who already knows what model boat they are going to buy. If a seller only wants to work with that kind of buyer, that's his choice. If a seller want to list a price and entertain all potential buyers, figuring he can convince the buyer that his is the boat for them, that's their choice.

G
It doesn't matter anyway if you list the price... post pictures.... give a detailed description of the boat... you will always get the morons that ask the same questions... how much... what color is it... even if it is stated in the ad.... too much...
Old 02-22-2004, 06:34 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey CAPO71, I think your e-mail might be screwed up. Might be that these guys are trying to e-mail but your not getting them. When you e-mailed me I replied within a couple hours but you never recieved them. I have had several e-mails from people about my boat and they all recieved my reply with no problem. Not trying to defend them, Just don't see how someone would spend the money for an add and not want to sell. Or maybe my computer sucks, I'm no computer wizard.