Notices

Lake Murray

Old 02-15-2004, 10:00 AM
Registered

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Lake Murray

Does anyone know the story for Lake Murray this summer? Are they planning on bringing the water level up at any point????
Old 02-15-2004, 11:57 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Funny you should ask here is a summary directly from Tommy Boozer who is over the lake:

They had originally told contractors working on lake dredging (around docks) to complete their work by March 1st. Now they have moved that date back to May 1st.
The project is significantly behind schedule (due to both weather and construction problems), and they had a press conference last Thursday to announce that. Most of what is in this note, was covered in the press conference (I think).
They are going to try to raise the lake to 347 ft (about a 2 ft increase) immediately. They will hold it at this level until probably July, and then ask FERC (Federal Energy Regulatory Commission) for permission to begin raising it to 358 feet.
Two things will determine how fast the lake gets to 358 feet. Obviously, rainfall amounts both locally and in the Upstate, but of at least equal importance is they have to do it in stages to allow the dam to re-saturate.
Assuming normal rainfall amounts, and barring a Tropical Storm, he doubts we will see it much above the 347 foot mark, this summer.
They are required to maintain a certain amount of fixed outfall (letting water out of the lake) to maintain the effluent discharge permits for several industries located downstream on the Saluda, e.g. Honeywell and others. They must maintain sufficient waterflow to provide dilution and mixing for these permitted effluents. This cancels out some of the rainfall that people would expect to raise lake levels.
Once they obtain FERC permission to raise the lake, it will take SCE&G lake management personnel about 3 weeks to survey the docks on the lake, and determine which ones will likely be "free-floating" when the lake rises, and notify those property owners of appropriate action required on their parts.
Lake management personnel also have to relocate several hundred navigational bouys on the lake. This may also impact the schedule, to maintain safe boating on the lake, during the refill.
There is no SCANA or SCE&G website that has an up-to-date schedule of the Dam Construction Project. They view the project timeline as dynamic and ever changing, and so will use press conferences to communicate updates to the schedule.
Realistically, we may not see Lake Murray at the 358 foot level until the summer of 2005, unless several construction delays are made-up, and we get significant rainfalls, e.g. a Tropical Storm or two.

That is a summary directly from the "horses mouth". I can already tell the lake is rising some but it will not be "full" this summer. I have extremely deep water so my dock will be fine this summer. As far as boating it should be fine because we boated last year without any major problems just minor inconveniences.

One thing of note: Lake Murray Marina (Dockside restaurant) is being torn down to build a 256 unit condominium tower. Now Lighthouse marina (Rusty Anchor and Quarterdeck) will REALLY be packed.
Old 02-15-2004, 12:11 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That pretty much sums it up.

My biggest concern is all of the floating debris that will be on the lake as the water comes back up. This summer will be more dangerous than last summer in my opinion.
Old 02-15-2004, 12:28 PM
Registered

"Once they obtain FERC permission to raise the lake, it will take SCE&G lake management personnel about 3 weeks to survey the docks on the lake, and determine which ones will likely be "free-floating" when the lake rises, and notify those property owners of appropriate action required on their parts."

Ha, they obviously don't do this on Lanier. When the water comes up a couple of feet there is flotation, logs, crap all over. When Lanier came up big time there were floating docks all over the dang lake. I towed several to the shoreline and wasted some good lines tying them up.

I think "free-floating" dockowners oughta get their butts fined or something. You own it, you're responsible for it. Someone hits it at night it's your problem.
Old 02-15-2004, 12:31 PM
Registered

I sure wish you had better news. I was waiting for you to Chime in on this subject. We will still spend some time on the Lake this summer regardless and just hope for the best. I had not given much thought to debris in the lake when it is filled, but you are exactly right.

What are the names of the Condo's??

Need a summer fix??
Join us March 12th, 13th and 14th in St.Petersburg, FL at Shell Island. Should be a blast. Average March temps are in the 80's.

We will tow down there Thursday afternoon (March 11)
Old 02-15-2004, 03:19 PM
Registered

Originally posted by ospreyproduction
I sure wish you had better news. I was waiting for you to Chime in on this subject. We will still spend some time on the Lake this summer regardless and just hope for the best. I had not given much thought to debris in the lake when it is filled, but you are exactly right.

What are the names of the Condo's??

Need a summer fix??
Join us March 12th, 13th and 14th in St.Petersburg, FL at Shell Island. Should be a blast. Average March temps are in the 80's.

We will tow down there Thursday afternoon (March 11)
I wish there was better news also...this has really sucked but hopefully nothing like this will be required again in my lifetime. Good thing was I only bought 1 boat while it was down ...now it's getting closer to time for a bigger purchase

I am not sure what the name of the condo's are going to be...but I'm sure it will be full of a bunch of blue hairs b*tchin about loud boats

I think a few of us may be going to SML in March again this year...hopefully a better weather forecast awaits us

Let me know when you come to Murray this year and I will buy you a beer...I have plenty of dock space now...well, I'm almost finished
Old 02-15-2004, 06:20 PM
Registered

I will let you know when we get up there. I would imagine sometime in late April.