Like Tree0Likes

Htm Ss-24 Or Other Lake Cats

Old 02-16-2004, 07:32 PM
25 Eagle

The HTM is a very fast hull but I don't think they turn real well.

Old 02-16-2004, 08:23 PM
Registered

As a past HTM SS24 owner I feel compelled to offer you my .02. First off you will not find a faster hull in this size catagory. The HTM will out plane, out accelerate and out run anything out there. Cornering is not the HTM's best feature, but they don't corner all that bad. They do require a whole bunch of seat time to learn the ins and the outs of getting it to corner well. They are very sensitive to trim and deceleration and exceleration throughout the corner. As for creature comforts, the HTM is also by far way ahead of any other boats in its class. Even the lower deck SS24 has a very nice under deck area and tons of storage. The SR24 which is the taller deck is huge underneath and has a couple more features the the SS24. Both have tons of storage as well and the rigging is very clean. The biggest factor when considering a boat in this size range is where do you plan on using it most? What type of water conditions can you expect. The HTM thrives on flat to 2' chop, put once it starts getting rough you better hold on. In my opinion you can't go wrong with the HTM, but if you are going to be boating in rougher conditions I would look at the Talon for sure. The Talon has less creature comforts, but runs hard in the chop. Please feel free to ask me any questions and I will be happy to answer them for you.
Old 02-16-2004, 08:36 PM
Registered

My Boats: 2004 28 Skater / 300x's

Post your question on Hotboat.net, there are a lot of people on that board that own cats in the size range you are looking at.

I have owned an Eliminator, and two DCB cats in that size range. Both build quality boats, but the DCB's are rigged better among other things.
Old 02-17-2004, 04:33 AM
Registered

Eliminator 26' if it was my dollar
Old 02-17-2004, 07:12 AM
Registered

My Boats: boatless.......

I'm in favor of the American Offshore myself of course.

Don
Old 02-17-2004, 09:26 AM
Official OSO boat whore
Charter Member
Trade Score: (2)

My Boats: 8' row boat

If you really want the boat to run, the Eliminator 26' will take much more power than the 25. I'm not sure why, but that seems to be the trend. The 26 does have the F-16 canopys which look a lot better than the new 25 deck. Yes, the old 25 deck is still available (my personal choice). The Eliminator will also give you some really nice in gel graphics. Be forwarned-I have personally seen some Eliminators that were very sloppily rigged. Supposedly they have 2 shops that do their rigging. One does impeccible work, the other very sloppy work. I don't know which one does which.

MN-The HTM has a totally different bottom from the Talon. The AO, Firehawk and Howard (?), and proably a couple others all decended from the Talon. They all have a full center pod that's a little deeper than the outer sponsons. This was done to get the boat to corner flat, maybe even lean in a scooch. I believe the 25' Elim is slightly above the sponsons so it will tend to lean to the outside.
Old 02-17-2004, 10:31 AM
Registered

The HTM will have a more harsh ride in rough water. The Eliminator will be faster and ride softer in the rough. Who actually uses those tiny cabins in any boat?? I run a 25' Warlock that is awesome in the rough water and runs 100 mph. 24 Skater (used) is another choice for O/B power. The west coast builders have a lot of selections these days. HTM is low on my list. Looks pregnant, rough ride and needs a ton of hp to run fast.
Old 02-17-2004, 11:00 AM
WALKIN THE DOG

Hey Randall,

Hope this will help. Have been in both @ speeds 100+. The SR24/SS24 is definitely the fastest of the field. I own a 26 daytona and for ride, you can't beat it. I really think you need to evaluate where you will be using the boat the most and the conditions of the water. All of the boats you mentioned have ther good points and bad including mine. I live on a freshwater lake, my buddy with the htm also lives there. I almost bought a HTM before I bought my daytona. He talked me out of it because of the day to day ride. 90% of our boating is on lakes, but we do go to the river once in a while and it can get rough. My buddy hates the rough stuff in his HTM. For a great ride and good speed you can't beat the daytona, cuts the water great and rides flatter than most of the others. For stock power, my neighbor has a 26 daytona just like mine, stock 525 runs 80+.

Good Luck

Old 02-17-2004, 11:25 AM
Charter Member #737
Charter Member

My Boats: 28 Apache

Speed wise the HTM should be the fastest with the same hp. Mine ran 87(radar) with 500hp(dyno) and low 90's(speedo) with a 540 with around 550hp to 600hp.
A friend told me my boat was like a motor strapped to a piece of plywood.
Old 02-17-2004, 11:44 AM
Registered

My Boats: '97 Scarb Thunder, '06 Formula 330ss for sale

I've got 3 yrs seat time in my 25' Daytona- 4 sale (shameless plug) It was my first performance boat and real easy to get used to. Great bang for the buck and quality built/rigged (I guess Mira Loma is the "right" factory)

boat listed in OSO classifieds