Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Disappointed with the quality of some of the boats at the show... >

Disappointed with the quality of some of the boats at the show...

Notices

Disappointed with the quality of some of the boats at the show...

Old 02-17-2004, 04:12 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sweet rides, But I wasn't impressed with the finish on them as well. I only hope that is NOT what gets delivered to the paying customers? For teh money that gets paid out on them, I just expected a 100% finish
Old 02-17-2004, 04:33 PM
TeamSonic42

Didnt make Miami, but the Cigs at the AC Boat show were top notch ! Their fit/finish/Paint blew the OL away.

The OL in AC did have some blemishes and the accomodations were not what I would have expected from a $600k+ boat. I would buy a Cig before an OL. OL has a great product, but way over priced in my opinion. I have much more room & ammenities than the OL, in my 42 Sonic. Dont care for the zipper doors or storage compartments on the OL, I think it looks kinda cheezy vs. sliding or closing doors. And some of the color schemes in the carpeting & paint looked like chit, but to each their own.

Old 02-17-2004, 10:11 PM
Rob
VIP Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I figure that most of the paint jobs take so long to do that the owners and builders are tired of waiting on them they say they don't want to take the boat back and they keep if for weeks or months to fix it. It sounds like the norm on paint jobs taking a long time .

You would think they would wet sand out the runs in the clear .a boat show you would think they would bring out the very best finished product. even better that you would get under normal production.

I have seen some bad paint jobs from the factory. if I was a boat manufacture I would be embarrassed . they say its just a gellcoat void under the paint .

When you can see it from 5 feet away its a bad flaw

This all seems to be the norm for all the marine industry as a hole

The Only Time You Have To Much Ammo Is When Your Swimming Or On Fire.
Old 02-17-2004, 11:24 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That Blue Lighting Company has a contract to slap several boats together for the Navy.Can you Believe it??
Old 02-18-2004, 12:27 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

I wasn't at Miami but the same things applied at the L.A. show, the best there were Daves Custom Boats and MTI.

Caleb
Old 02-18-2004, 01:14 AM
kwb
Registered

Default what did everyone else think of the hustler?

I didn't spend a lot of time looking at the Miami show - but was kinda impressed with the hustler. The hardware (latches and stuff) were great quality. The layout of the boat seemed very well thought out.... Nice quality from the breif peek I had at it...

It had Viper V10's and arneson drives - I would love to drive that boat - probably a huge rooster tail!!!!!

Cigarette was the show stopper in my opinion - amazing boats - they have taken it to the next level - congrats Neil and Skip!!!! and all the guys at cig....
Old 02-18-2004, 07:21 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by TeamSonic42
Didnt make Miami, but the Cigs at the AC Boat show were top notch ! Their fit/finish/Paint blew the OL away.

The OL in AC did have some blemishes and the accomodations were not what I would have expected from a $600k+ boat. I would buy a Cig before an OL. OL has a great product, but way over priced in my opinion. I have much more room & ammenities than the OL, in my 42 Sonic. Dont care for the zipper doors or storage compartments on the OL, I think it looks kinda cheezy vs. sliding or closing doors. And some of the color schemes in the carpeting & paint looked like chit, but to each their own.
Yeah ... the zipper doors don't always "look" the best ... but they are used out of necessity and functionallity rather than "esthetics" (great word)

They aren't in the way when open ... and they dont SHATTER INTO A MILLION FRIGGIN PIECES when you take a BIG run in the **** !!! That water gets pretty HARD at the numbers those boats are running at .
Old 02-18-2004, 08:00 AM
Platinum Member
Charter Member

Originally posted by Too Old
You could always buy a white one.
Which is exactly what I would do if buying new after what I saw at the show. Even when the paint jobs were acceptable 5-footers (orange peel being the most common flaw), the wavy sides and print-through on many detracted from the paint application.

Exceptions- Hustler, MTI, Formula, and the perennial 'near-zero-flaw' boat, Powerplay.
Jim
Old 02-18-2004, 08:02 AM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I am not trying to make any excuses for the builders but one thought is that most of these boats probably will go back to the factory to be finished after the show. I know that the boat you guys may have seen us popping out of the mold last week was at a show this weekend!!! That is fast for such a small operation. The point is that a lot of these boats were probably rushed to be finished for the show and will likely go back to the builders for true finishing. Just a thought. I am glad that some companies seem to be doing well and VERY supprised to see Formula mentioned witht he likes of Cig. and OL!!!! I always knew they make great boats but to be mentioned with the above is good for them.

Jon
Old 02-18-2004, 08:25 AM
Rob
VIP Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

One thing to think about on the print thru see the glass thru the gell coat . the more gell coat adds weight . if the OL was the new epoxy I dought if its going to be a smooth surface . I looked at a new 40 Skater at Lake Cumberland and it was rough .In the gell who could see the matting on the sides.

This does not excuse the paint jobs.runs and orange peel just need to be wet sanded out. I bet most of the painters don't have the oven bake down draft paint booths like the car guys. There would be no way to keep trash out of it.

wet sand and buff would be alot of labor$$$$

The Only Time You Have To Much Ammo Is When Your Swimming Or On Fire.

Quick Reply: Disappointed with the quality of some of the boats at the show...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.