Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
I just got my membership renewal e-mail . >

I just got my membership renewal e-mail .

Notices

I just got my membership renewal e-mail .

Old 02-26-2004, 09:34 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

oh if so then sorry. I just don't want anybody here to think that I'm ungrateful for what I've gotten from OSO. Before I came here I knew nothing, I still don't actually haha, but I'm a lot better off from where I was. This site has provided me with a lot of good info over the years and yeah I guess it is time that I finally became a "paying" member. Lets face the facts here......when I have a prob....I post it in the tech and usually I have an answer quickly that gets me back on my feet, where else can I get that? I surely don't have the $$ to start a boating site, and I know that this one costs a pretty penny to keep up....so if becoming a member will help that cause, then I'm all for it and I guess thats what I need to do. I know a lot of people say that the pics and uncensored section are really why you should join....but for me, the history, knowledge, and overall love of performance boating is what makes me proud to be here. I obviously just took unecessary offense to people thinking I'm ungrateful just because I haven't payed yet. Sorry Chris for "venting" I just want to make the point known that I am very repectful and grateful for everyone here.
Old 02-26-2004, 09:51 AM
Registered

Originally posted by epeek
If you can't afford 50 bucks,how the
hell can you afford a perfomence boat? And further
more,OSO is a business, you cant fault anyone for
making a profit. Go Steve,I hope you make millions!
I'm real happy for those of you who are doing well financially. I'd guess there are quite a few of us who are living on a shoestring and supporting our old crappy boats by making other sacrifices. Many of us HAVE to work on our own boats, whether we like it or not. Have I gotten value from this site? sure. Did I gladly pay the $25 for it when it happened? yup. Did I donate to the HTM crash and various other causes? yup. Do I spend $50 drinking? You bet. But, paying for a web site right now is one of the expenses I wont spend until I have an engine back together. My priorities have to go to my boat first. I seem to remember a thread long ago on incomes but Id wager that a lot of us fit the "scraping by as best we can" bill. If this site evolves to only include the 6 figure and above crowd, so be it.
Old 02-26-2004, 10:08 AM
Registered

Boss,,, Sorry,, I was totally joking,,,, I started this darn thread,, remember.... Just being sarcastic about some of the people around here who need to get over themselves..

Last edited by Chris232; 02-26-2004 at 10:54 AM.
Old 02-26-2004, 10:26 AM
Registered
Gold Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I look at this site as a "dynamic owners / service manual" for performance boating... It is always full of the info that you need and if not you just ask and BAM, someone has it. I paid $35 for a service manual for an 8hp. OB that I have on the back of a 12' aluminum boat. This is a package that is not to be taken lightly either, that 8hp pushes this thing along to a solid 14mph - GPS verified - with two people in it! My point? That manual allowed me to fully tear down and rebuild that motor last winter and now it runs better than new! (I was going to punch out the cylinders and slip some 502 pistons into it, but there just wasn't enough meat in the cylinder walls...) Anyway, I searched the web for the info I needed and couldn't find it, so I bought the book and - yada yada.

So, scale it up a bit and you have a boat - good money in it and like to work on it - where do you go for that hard to find info? There are more people on this board, like Too Old that are a wealth of info, no doubt due to his age and his 20 yr. old shoes! Want some history on your boat or another model - ask T2x, or Brownie, if they don't have it - no one does!! So, I guess you can look at this as a place that if you feel you can get your $50 worth, you pony up, if not... that's ok too.

Like they say at AMEX, "membership has it's privileges". At OSO - it's the same...
Old 02-26-2004, 11:42 AM
Registered

DoTheMath - I agree...there's no way I'll find any of this info anywhere else. Members like TooOld and especially T2x have posted some stuff that is mind boggling. I don't even have a manual for my boat.....point blank...OSO is my manual.

I've been freeloading too long...I guess it's time for me to pony up for "real" membership. I've gotten a lot of help from people that could have said, he' s not even a paying member why should I help him, but they did anyway.

formula31 - I'm in that group of scrapping by, the money I'm more then likely going to put towards membership was meant for my oil change kit that I need bad. It's going for a good purpose though....heck this site costs money to keep up and continue improving. And if my $$ helps to further that and keep it going...I'm all for it.
Old 02-26-2004, 12:02 PM
Mr. Demeanor

Heres an example already of the problem I see. I took this cut and paste from www.**********.com

appreciate the info. Looks as if I am the winner of a 87 carrera 8meter, 27'. Has twin mag 350's 12 hrs on rebuilds, new 3 man bolsters.....
Boat to run in Tampa. Now all I need is someone to show me
the area waterways. Just moved here from Lake Lanier, Atlanta.
There was a post on OSO, someone has orig sales brochure and pics. but I'm not a member. Cant get-em.

I really think giving maybe 25 free posts to include starting new threads would at least give new people the exposure to the site. Think of it as bait

Old 02-26-2004, 12:57 PM
Registered

Well, in eight months of being a member I've learned more and got more help and information about boats and boating related topics then i ever would have anywhere else. Since me and most other people here enjoy spending as much time as possible on our boats, I would say the registration fee is some of the best money i've ever spent. When it comes time for me to re-register i'll gladly pay the $50, Thanks for the great site OSO!!
Old 02-26-2004, 01:22 PM
Mr. Demeanor

Nobody had said it isnt worth the money. Some have said money is tight right now and you have to pick and choose. Everyone should respect that.

Old 02-26-2004, 01:24 PM
Registered

This has to be one of the best threads I've seen on this sight. Starts as b*tching, moaning and groaning......some GOOD, honest discussion follows.....and we ultimately hold on to two of our family members. Way to go OSO....I knew you could do it.......
Old 02-26-2004, 01:28 PM
Registered

I'll have my gold star soon prepare me a seat at the table, I'm moving up gents.

Quick Reply: I just got my membership renewal e-mail .

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.