Notices

Catalina Island Ski Race

Old 03-02-2004, 05:20 AM
Jason J

Default Catalina Island Ski Race

Gday from Australia,

My name is Jason Jezewski and I am interested in competing in this years Catalina Island Ski race in California. I am 29yrs old and would like to enter Senior or Open men and would be confident of finishing highly in the overall placings. I ski at State and National level here in Australia. I would appreciate if anyone was looking for a skier for the event to contact me asap as I would like to arrange flights etc. I am able to provide more information upon request.
Regards,
Jason Jezewski
[email protected]

Old 03-02-2004, 08:49 AM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

Jason, check out www.scopeinfo.com

Those are the Southern California Boys (and girls, nummy! ), and several of them participate in the race.
Old 03-02-2004, 10:52 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Try this link

Old 03-02-2004, 12:31 PM
Registered

I've never pulled anyone.......the start seems nerve-racking!!! Pull a skier at 80MPH with a boat 25 feet to your port and another 25 feedt to your starboard racing against 100 other boats for a 1/4 mile breakwater opening abut 2 miles away. Whoa!
Old 03-02-2004, 12:45 PM
Registered

Nort,

Scott at DSM was trying to talk me into pulling a skier two years ago, but I was not liking the idea of mounting a ski pole on the boat.
Old 03-02-2004, 01:23 PM
Registered

Chris-

I'm sure there are lots of options. Lu Lyall made some fancy thingy, not sure how DMAN does it, and I think others tie off to a cleat!!!

Old 03-02-2004, 01:53 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

If you are not pulling one of the few skiers vying for the overall win then just pull from the rear cleats with a harness. No big deal. I think Marty won last year with his rope attached this way.

It is a little better to pull from a higher location since it helps keep the rope out of the water. Sometimes when the rope get's in the water it can suck down and stay in. It's a weird feeling when it happens. Some of the new ropes don't do it as much.

Do the race, you will like it although driving the start is hairy, it's much worse skiing :-)
Old 03-02-2004, 01:53 PM
Registered

We pulled a Novice skier in 2002 and the start gets pretty crazy.. Imagine a poker run start with every boat towing a skier... Once you get out of the breakwater things spread out and then you just have the waves to deal with... Fun stuff in a 29' boat..
Attached Thumbnails Catalina Island Ski Race-p8120253.jpg  
Old 03-02-2004, 01:54 PM
Charter Member #9/ Moderator
Charter Member

Originally posted by PhantomChaos
I've never pulled anyone.......the start seems nerve-racking!!! Pull a skier at 80MPH with a boat 25 feet to your port and another 25 feedt to your starboard racing against 100 other boats for a 1/4 mile breakwater opening abut 2 miles away. Whoa!
Nort,

More like HOLY CHIT!!!!
Old 03-02-2004, 02:22 PM
My EX got the Sleekcraft
Platinum Member

Anyone got some good aerial overhead photos of the start?? They should be chilling....

Quick Reply: Catalina Island Ski Race

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.