Notices

Chaulky gel-coat

Old 03-08-2004, 06:45 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by marinetrans
It should work good w/ my new Milwaukee polisher.
I, err, Debbie has the same polisher.
Attached Thumbnails Chaulky gel-coat-jgriffbuff3.jpg  
Old 03-17-2005, 02:32 PM
Registered

Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Re: Chaulky gel-coat

What model Milwaukee polisher is that??
Old 03-17-2005, 03:26 PM
21 and 42 footers
Platinum Member

Received 119 Likes on 61 Posts

I just used collinite wax to finish off the Formula. It goes on easy, kinda hard to get off, but looks like it will last a summer of washings. Took 2 coats and shines like nothing I've used before.
Although I will be trying aqua-buff next time I tackle a chalky boat.
Old 03-17-2005, 11:47 PM
Registered

A lot of elbow grease
Compound, whatever kind you like to work with and a good buffer and pad. No matter what you use it takes time and patience to make it look great. The compound makes a lasting like new shine, not the wax. The wax protects after the shine is achieved. Shortcuts as in pledge, baby oil, ect. work for real short periods of time. Used car dealers have a multitude of patches that work very temporarilly. Most guy's that detail cars are not good on boats. They are worried about burning thru the paint as on a car. Gelcoat needs aggressive pad work almost like sanding to make the shine come back. Think of it as sanding thru the bad or faded gelcoat to get to the shiny part. Your compound is sanding for you. Even with a good polisher it a lot of elbow grease. The good is the that the shine lasts and you created it.
VeeCat
Old 03-18-2005, 06:47 AM
Registered

I must be doing something wrong (?) as I tried Aquabuff but didn't think it did much of anything. 3M Microcut worked much better.

-Greg
Old 06-08-2005, 08:25 PM
Registered

Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts

I just tried Aquabuff 1000. It works ok, no miracles. Definitely need a rotary polisher with wool pad, I tried it with an orbiting Porter Cable and it did absolutely nothing. Two passes with Aquabuff 1000 using a rotary polisher & wool pad and I can still see some chaulk, and it was not bad at all to begin with, very minor chaulk. It is better but far less improved than I expected. I am sure better can be found.
Old 06-08-2005, 08:31 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Pismo10
I just tried Aquabuff 1000. It works ok, no miracles. Definitely need a rotary polisher with wool pad, I tried it with an orbiting Porter Cable and it did absolutely nothing. Two passes with Aquabuff 1000 using a rotary polisher & wool pad and I can still see some chaulk, and it was not bad at all to begin with, very minor chaulk. It is better but far less improved than I expected. I am sure better can be found.
Did you keep it wet? The secret is to use LOTS of water. At least that's what Deb tells me.
Old 06-08-2005, 08:41 PM
Registered

Try Meguiers #67 (?) One Step Compound. I used it on my boat a couple weeks ago and was much happier with it than I was with the Aquabuff.

-Greg
Old 06-08-2005, 09:31 PM
Registered

Received 94 Likes on 22 Posts

for something a little more commercially available try Meguires #44 colour restorer or the heavier cut version.......followed up by #45 boat/rv polish .....then Meguires #?? Pure Wax.......its a three step process so you gotta buy three bottles and use a rotary buffer to apply it ....... I had A LEAF get under my cover on the deck of my boat then it rained for like a month.....I had an actual imprint of a brown leaf on the white deck of my boat!!!!!....as plain as day ......I thought I was into re gelling .......this 3 step process not only got it out completly but made the whole boat look absolutly beautiful.....a deep "foot thick" shine that makes 15yr old gel look as good as anything around.....I am super impressed with this product and will stick with it and reccomend it to anyone I can......doug
Old 06-08-2005, 09:43 PM
Registered

I used the Aqua-Buff on my 85 Excalibur Hawk 40 following the instructions...If I remember correctly they said to use a rotary buffer with a wool pad and to spin it 2500rpm's, as Cuda said it requires the water mist....it worked better than any other thing I used including Starbrite color restorer, 3m microfinishing compoud, 3m oxidation remover....and more....the boat shined better than it ever did and the gel seems to be sooo much smoother and a year later it still shines and I did the whole boat with just one $9.99 tub....I love the stuff....Fred

Last edited by fred; 06-08-2005 at 09:46 PM.

Quick Reply: Chaulky gel-coat

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.