Notices

Chaulky gel-coat

Old 06-08-2005, 09:46 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Chaulky gel-coat

There are many componds that will work great. Buffing a boat with gel coat is way easier than buffing a car. Veecat is right about auto detailers mostly they dont know anything about buffing. They use very light compounds with tons of silicones and waxes in them. They just cover the dead paint up. Not take it off. The trick is in the buffer and how you use it. Use a high speed heavy duty buffer with a wool wheel. Not the orbital kind! (They are for waxing at best) Work in small areas at a time. Apply slight pressure to the buffer and work slow and build a little heat. Don't worry about buffing though the geal coat its very thick. If you have to you can even wet sand before buffing using 1000 grit.

Russ
Old 06-08-2005, 09:58 PM
Banned

The aqua buff worked great on 17 year old blue gel that has been in the Florida sun. We used 2000 after the 1000. I just have to talk Deb into doing the hull too, which also is blue gel.
Old 06-08-2005, 09:59 PM
Registered

Cuda, your the one who told me about the Aqua-Buff....Thanks much...Fred
Old 06-09-2005, 06:39 AM
CBPBA's Walmart Greeter
VIP Member

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

Cuda,

Deb is a boating gal who also runs a rotary buffer to polish the boat?!?!? Where does one find such a woman????

Good thread and advice, I'll be buffing out my transom next week, it's all chalk.

-----------------------------------------

CHESAPEAKE BAY POWER BOAT ASSOCIATION
'http://www.cbpba.com'

"Experience is something you don't have until just after you need it."
Old 06-11-2005, 01:51 PM
Registered

Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts

I figured out the trick to Aqua-Buff, just keep doing it over and over and over and over until it shines. It will work eventually. It seems to go much better without the water. The stuff is so wet anyhow, like melted ice cream, that as long as you buff it out promptly, it seems to be wet enough on its own. Starting to look good. I did collinite wax on one side and mcquires wax on the other after two coats of teflon and the buffing of course.
Old 06-12-2005, 07:19 AM
Registered

Maguires makes a kit called Heavy Oxidation Remover. Best thing I have ever found. The seperate parts have been mentioned above, but it was said you have to buy the heavy oxidation remover, color restorer and polish separately but you can by it in a kit at Boat U.S. or West Marine or some place like that cheaper as a kit. Me and a friend did a boat where we had no access to power so we did it by hand it the boat looked fantastic.