Like Tree0Likes

Ft. Myers Race cancelled?

Reply
Old 03-17-2004, 04:15 PM
  #41
T2x
Allergic to Nonsense
Platinum Member
 
T2x's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Granite Quarry, NC
My Boats: 1966 !8' Switzer Wing "Miss Diablo" 1968 Switzer Wing "Dust'n the Wind 2",, 1960 Powercat 15C , 1977 17' Molinari w/Evinrude CCC
Posts: 5,004
Default Re: Re: Re: That sucks.

Quote:
Originally posted by Shane
EXACTLY! Same thing I said all last summer and got ridiculed for it! Thanks T2x, hope to see you soon.
I'm not speaking to you until you destroy those Pennzoil pictures.

T2x
T2x is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2004, 04:28 PM
  #42
Registered
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Jupiter, Fl
My Boats: 2000 24 Pantera
Posts: 3,660
Default

I can give a sh it about TV as long as I can race where the rules are fair and enforced, and the competition is intense. I am not a blind follower of the APBA, I was in Orlando as a skeptic and heard what they had to say and liked it. I was all ready to jump ship and race SBI exclusively. Now I will do a little of both.
It has been my experience both in APBA Offshore, snd racing APBA inboard that their rules, regs, infrastructure, and history are head and shoulders above the rest. The weakness has been in the leadership(I have only been involved for 4 years) with offshore.
If the new regime is the real deal, the foundation for success is there.
ScottB is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2004, 04:44 PM
  #43
Charter Member #1093
Charter Member
 
SteveDavid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Lighthouse Point & Ocean Reef FL
My Boats: 2003 60' SeaRay, 2014 30' Concept CC
Posts: 660
Default

Friends,

First, thank you to Too old, T2x and those of you who have supported me. The following is my perspective, and not an official position APBA. I write this from the heart, and quite honestly with much sorrow. The irony of our sport's downward spiral, is that we have brought it on ourselves, and we are accelerating the demise every day. It is not Sea Turtles, or Manatees or Tourist Development Councils cancelling races. It's our history if internal warfare, essentially us eating our young and
making us distasteful to host sites, sponsors, competitors and fans.
This very day, there is one organization going after existing and former APBA sites and sponsors and portraying APBA Offshore in the least favorable light. They believe they are doing the right thing, yet how right are we in the eyes of our consitituent interests when we simply change shirts and logos and smear the very organization we belonged to last year? What picture of our sport do we put in the minds of TV, City Commissions, Sponsors, etc. when we are more fractured than humpty dumpty?

Many are saying that when the dust settles, we'll somehow come together. However, as we fractrure further, with regions and clubs each going their own way, will the pieces, if ever assembled, fit back together? Our problems are not of an external nature.

I don't have the answers. What I will do, and promise to each of you, is that I'll be fair, and straight as your referee when you participate at an APBA event. We'll break bread, we'll work together, we'll seek solutions, we'll try as best as we can to do the right thing.

Hope to see each of you in St. Cloud.

Steve
SteveDavid is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2004, 04:46 PM
  #44
Charter Member #71
Charter Member
 
DanB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Merritt Is., FL
My Boats: 1993 Cig
Posts: 919
Default

"after the initials LLC are finally removed from the APBA's testes....."
I personally think that is the answer to the majority of the problems.
Steve...I know you'll do a great job with what you have to work with.

Dan

Last edited by DanB; 03-17-2004 at 04:49 PM.
DanB is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2004, 04:52 PM
  #45
Registered
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Jupiter, Fl
My Boats: 2000 24 Pantera
Posts: 3,660
Default

Quote:
This very day, there is one organization going after existing and former APBA sites and sponsors and portraying APBA Offshore in the least favorable light. They believe they are doing the right thing, yet how right are we in the eyes of our consitituent interests when we simply change shirts and logos and smear the very organization we belonged to last year? What picture of our sport do we put in the minds of TV, City Commissions, Sponsors, etc. when we are more fractured than humpty dumpty?
Here is a hint....... There initials start with OSS
ScottB is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2004, 05:00 PM
  #46
T2x
Allergic to Nonsense
Platinum Member
 
T2x's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Granite Quarry, NC
My Boats: 1966 !8' Switzer Wing "Miss Diablo" 1968 Switzer Wing "Dust'n the Wind 2",, 1960 Powercat 15C , 1977 17' Molinari w/Evinrude CCC
Posts: 5,004
Default

Quote:
Originally posted by SteveDavid
Friends,

First, thank you to Too old, T2x and those of you who have supported me. The following is my perspective, and not an official position APBA. I write this from the heart, and quite honestly with much sorrow. The irony of our sport's downward spiral, is that we have brought it on ourselves, and we are accelerating the demise every day. It is not Sea Turtles, or Manatees or Tourist Development Councils cancelling races. It's our history if internal warfare, essentially us eating our young and
making us distasteful to host sites, sponsors, competitors and fans.
This very day, there is one organization going after existing and former APBA sites and sponsors and portraying APBA Offshore in the least favorable light. They believe they are doing the right thing, yet how right are we in the eyes of our consitituent interests when we simply change shirts and logos and smear the very organization we belonged to last year? What picture of our sport do we put in the minds of TV, City Commissions, Sponsors, etc. when we are more fractured than humpty dumpty?

Many are saying that when the dust settles, we'll somehow come together. However, as we fractrure further, with regions and clubs each going their own way, will the pieces, if ever assembled, fit back together? Our problems are not of an external nature.

I don't have the answers. What I will do, and promise to each of you, is that I'll be fair, and straight as your referee when you participate at an APBA event. We'll break bread, we'll work together, we'll seek solutions, we'll try as best as we can to do the right thing.

Hope to see each of you in St. Cloud.

Steve
I'll add nothing to the above except to give Steve my two highest praises.

1. I trust him

and..

2. He doesn't suck


T2x
T2x is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2004, 05:05 PM
  #47
T2x
Allergic to Nonsense
Platinum Member
 
T2x's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Granite Quarry, NC
My Boats: 1966 !8' Switzer Wing "Miss Diablo" 1968 Switzer Wing "Dust'n the Wind 2",, 1960 Powercat 15C , 1977 17' Molinari w/Evinrude CCC
Posts: 5,004
Default

Quote:
Originally posted by ScottB
Here is a hint....... There initials start with OSS
Here's another hint...... Finger pointing will only make this mess worse.

T2x

Last edited by T2x; 03-17-2004 at 05:30 PM.
T2x is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2004, 05:12 PM
  #48
Registered
 
Phantom1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Lake Murray, SC
My Boats: 30' Phantom
Posts: 5,647
Default

Quote:
Originally posted by T2x
Here's another hint...... Finger pointing wil only make this mess worse.

T2x
Can it get worse? Just curious........in your opinion (which I respect greatly) at what point in time was the sport in its worst shape?
Phantom1 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2004, 05:18 PM
  #49
Registered
 
birdog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Batavia Oh.
My Boats: Top Gun
Posts: 4,034
Default

Quote:
Originally posted by T2x
I'll add nothing to the above except to give Steve my two highest praises.

1. I trust him

and..

2. He doesn't suck


T2x
High praise from T2x !!
Hope Steve can pull this together..But even i know,He cant do it alone
birdog is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2004, 05:28 PM
  #50
T2x
Allergic to Nonsense
Platinum Member
 
T2x's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Granite Quarry, NC
My Boats: 1966 !8' Switzer Wing "Miss Diablo" 1968 Switzer Wing "Dust'n the Wind 2",, 1960 Powercat 15C , 1977 17' Molinari w/Evinrude CCC
Posts: 5,004
Default

Quote:
Originally posted by Phantom1
Can it get worse? Just curious........in your opinion (which I respect greatly) at what point in time was the sport in its worst shape?

Good question............


Probably during the time just prior to Gene Whipp's arrival, although right now is no walk in the park either. It is tough to compare because today we have the confluence of two very negatively impactful phenomena.

1. The near total loss of credibility brought on by all of the infighting, baseless claims, bragging and prostitution of the past few years.

2. A changing socio-economic dynamic that is going against the grain of all forms of boat racing. Hydro-Prop has fallen, The Champ boats are struggling, Offshore is in disarray, The UIM fleets are dwindling.....

However, there is always hope. That new Jet boat timed rally thing is catching favor with a random audience...proving that boat racing, if packaged in a proper way, has the ability to draw fans. All that is needed is two ingredients..... a proper vision...and a leader who can bring the troops to understand and embrace it.

Certainly we have individuals with the ability, knowledge, logic and experience to create the former........ and Mr. David has been (and will be) my choice to provide the rest.

Of course he'll never forgive me when it happens

T2x
T2x is offline  
Reply With Quote
Reply

Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
DONZI
General Boating Discussion
6
08-06-2006 08:09 PM
CIG3
General Racing Discussion
6
10-07-2004 11:31 AM
stevequick
General Racing Discussion
3
09-16-2003 05:40 PM
BRUCE SEROFF
General Boating Discussion
19
09-16-2003 01:17 PM



Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:12 PM.


Copyright 2011 OffShoreOnly. All rights reserved.