Like Tree0Likes

Ft. Myers Race cancelled?

Old 03-17-2004, 04:15 PM
T2x
Allergic to Nonsense
Platinum Member

My Boats: 1966 !8' Switzer Wing "Miss Diablo" 1968 Switzer Wing "Dust'n the Wind 2",, 1960 Powercat 15C , 1977 17' Molinari w/Evinrude CCC
Default Re: Re: Re: That sucks.

Quote:
Originally posted by Shane
EXACTLY! Same thing I said all last summer and got ridiculed for it! Thanks T2x, hope to see you soon.
I'm not speaking to you until you destroy those Pennzoil pictures.

T2x
Old 03-17-2004, 04:28 PM
Registered

My Boats: 2000 24 Pantera

I can give a sh it about TV as long as I can race where the rules are fair and enforced, and the competition is intense. I am not a blind follower of the APBA, I was in Orlando as a skeptic and heard what they had to say and liked it. I was all ready to jump ship and race SBI exclusively. Now I will do a little of both.
It has been my experience both in APBA Offshore, snd racing APBA inboard that their rules, regs, infrastructure, and history are head and shoulders above the rest. The weakness has been in the leadership(I have only been involved for 4 years) with offshore.
If the new regime is the real deal, the foundation for success is there.
Old 03-17-2004, 04:44 PM
Charter Member #1093
Charter Member

My Boats: 2003 60' SeaRay, 2014 30' Concept CC

Friends,

First, thank you to Too old, T2x and those of you who have supported me. The following is my perspective, and not an official position APBA. I write this from the heart, and quite honestly with much sorrow. The irony of our sport's downward spiral, is that we have brought it on ourselves, and we are accelerating the demise every day. It is not Sea Turtles, or Manatees or Tourist Development Councils cancelling races. It's our history if internal warfare, essentially us eating our young and
making us distasteful to host sites, sponsors, competitors and fans.
This very day, there is one organization going after existing and former APBA sites and sponsors and portraying APBA Offshore in the least favorable light. They believe they are doing the right thing, yet how right are we in the eyes of our consitituent interests when we simply change shirts and logos and smear the very organization we belonged to last year? What picture of our sport do we put in the minds of TV, City Commissions, Sponsors, etc. when we are more fractured than humpty dumpty?

Many are saying that when the dust settles, we'll somehow come together. However, as we fractrure further, with regions and clubs each going their own way, will the pieces, if ever assembled, fit back together? Our problems are not of an external nature.

I don't have the answers. What I will do, and promise to each of you, is that I'll be fair, and straight as your referee when you participate at an APBA event. We'll break bread, we'll work together, we'll seek solutions, we'll try as best as we can to do the right thing.

Hope to see each of you in St. Cloud.

Steve
Old 03-17-2004, 04:46 PM
Charter Member #71
Charter Member

My Boats: 1993 Cig

"after the initials LLC are finally removed from the APBA's testes....."
I personally think that is the answer to the majority of the problems.
Steve...I know you'll do a great job with what you have to work with.

Dan

Last edited by DanB; 03-17-2004 at 04:49 PM.
Old 03-17-2004, 04:52 PM
Registered

My Boats: 2000 24 Pantera

Quote:
This very day, there is one organization going after existing and former APBA sites and sponsors and portraying APBA Offshore in the least favorable light. They believe they are doing the right thing, yet how right are we in the eyes of our consitituent interests when we simply change shirts and logos and smear the very organization we belonged to last year? What picture of our sport do we put in the minds of TV, City Commissions, Sponsors, etc. when we are more fractured than humpty dumpty?
Here is a hint....... There initials start with OSS
Old 03-17-2004, 05:00 PM
T2x
Allergic to Nonsense
Platinum Member

My Boats: 1966 !8' Switzer Wing "Miss Diablo" 1968 Switzer Wing "Dust'n the Wind 2",, 1960 Powercat 15C , 1977 17' Molinari w/Evinrude CCC

Quote:
Originally posted by SteveDavid
Friends,

First, thank you to Too old, T2x and those of you who have supported me. The following is my perspective, and not an official position APBA. I write this from the heart, and quite honestly with much sorrow. The irony of our sport's downward spiral, is that we have brought it on ourselves, and we are accelerating the demise every day. It is not Sea Turtles, or Manatees or Tourist Development Councils cancelling races. It's our history if internal warfare, essentially us eating our young and
making us distasteful to host sites, sponsors, competitors and fans.

Many are saying that when the dust settles, we'll somehow come together. However, as we fractrure further, with regions and clubs each going their own way, will the pieces, if ever assembled, fit back together? Our problems are not of an external nature.

I don't have the answers. What I will do, and promise to each of you, is that I'll be fair, and straight as your referee when you participate at an APBA event. We'll break bread, we'll work together, we'll seek solutions, we'll try as best as we can to do the right thing.

Hope to see each of you in St. Cloud.

Steve
I'll add nothing to the above except to give Steve my two highest praises.

1. I trust him

and..

2. He doesn't suck

T2x
Old 03-17-2004, 05:05 PM
T2x
Allergic to Nonsense
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ScottB
Here is a hint....... There initials start with OSS
Here's another hint...... Finger pointing will only make this mess worse.

T2x

Last edited by T2x; 03-17-2004 at 05:30 PM.
Old 03-17-2004, 05:12 PM
Registered

My Boats: 30' Phantom

Quote:
Originally posted by T2x
Here's another hint...... Finger pointing wil only make this mess worse.

T2x
Can it get worse? Just curious........in your opinion (which I respect greatly) at what point in time was the sport in its worst shape?
Old 03-17-2004, 05:18 PM
Registered

My Boats: Top Gun

Quote:
Originally posted by T2x
I'll add nothing to the above except to give Steve my two highest praises.

1. I trust him

and..

2. He doesn't suck

T2x
High praise from T2x !!
Hope Steve can pull this together..But even i know,He cant do it alone
Old 03-17-2004, 05:28 PM
T2x
Allergic to Nonsense
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Phantom1
Can it get worse? Just curious........in your opinion (which I respect greatly) at what point in time was the sport in its worst shape?

Good question............

Probably during the time just prior to Gene Whipp's arrival, although right now is no walk in the park either. It is tough to compare because today we have the confluence of two very negatively impactful phenomena.

1. The near total loss of credibility brought on by all of the infighting, baseless claims, bragging and prostitution of the past few years.

2. A changing socio-economic dynamic that is going against the grain of all forms of boat racing. Hydro-Prop has fallen, The Champ boats are struggling, Offshore is in disarray, The UIM fleets are dwindling.....

However, there is always hope. That new Jet boat timed rally thing is catching favor with a random audience...proving that boat racing, if packaged in a proper way, has the ability to draw fans. All that is needed is two ingredients..... a proper vision...and a leader who can bring the troops to understand and embrace it.

Certainly we have individuals with the ability, knowledge, logic and experience to create the former........ and Mr. David has been (and will be) my choice to provide the rest.

Of course he'll never forgive me when it happens

T2x