Notices

Trailer Tie Down

Old 03-22-2004, 11:21 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Jim, I'll be at the races in Biloxi, but hopefully the new boat will be in Orange Beach for the summer by then. Hopefully I'm going to be a patrol boat both days in a different boat.

I still haven't sold the 27, so if you hear of anyone interested send em' my way. I hear the ling are starting to show up so hopefully the fishing will be good for you.

The boat I'm supposed to be on is named M.T. Pockets - please say hello if you see me.
Old 03-22-2004, 01:33 PM
Registered

Will look for you. We may just come in from the gas rigs and watch the race by boat on Saturday before heading back to P'Goula. Will be in Ricky's boat, 26' Dusky center console. Hopefully the race will have a good turnout.
Old 03-22-2004, 03:23 PM
GLH
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally posted by Downtown42
My Myco with engine guard/bumper, has 2 tie downs on the front only. Straps hook to eye and angle slighty rear to the trailer. I was told that I never needed rear tie-downs. Am I in danger here?
Big fines in our state if your pulling without tie downs.
Old 03-22-2004, 03:27 PM
Registered

I used to use tie downs, but got lazy. The only reason I really need them is because I have a FORD PSD and it has so much power that the boat could actually fall off the back when accelerating.
Old 03-22-2004, 05:39 PM
Member #9
Charter Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by Downtown42
My Myco with engine guard/bumper, has 2 tie downs on the front only. Straps hook to eye and angle slighty rear to the trailer. I was told that I never needed rear tie-downs. Am I in danger here?

DT, like anything, most of the time you don't need them HOWEVER the one time you need them, you will be glad you had them.

I also tie down my bow eye straight down to the trailer to prevent up/down movement because the winch strap does allow some movement on bad jittery roads. Rear is always strapped as well. Just takes a few extra minutes and to me is worth it.
Old 03-22-2004, 05:43 PM
Registered

Thanks for the help

If your going around the planes is there no worry about if things went really bad ripping the tab off the transom? I guess if things went that bad it's better than having your boat destroyed because it wasn't tied down at all.

Do you go around the inside or outside of the planes to the trailer?
Old 03-22-2004, 07:48 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Trailer

Thanks for the positive report on towing and Loading. Thats the goal.

I will contact you about adding step pads with ratchet straps. This will keep the straps from loading the tabs.
I will need to get you to verify a couple of measurments though.

If you decide you want aluminum wheels I will get them to you at cost.

Again, love the graphics.
Old 03-22-2004, 10:06 PM
Registered

I had a similar situation with our 37 AT. We went around the outside of the tab. We put a soft cloth between the strap and tab to be sure it did not chafe.

I cannot tell from the picture, but can you cross the straps and attach them to the trailer on either side of the marker lights ? If would look like an X from the back with the left strap running from the left eye on the boat to the right side of the three market lights in the center of the trailer just below the keel. And then do the reverse with the right side strap.

Might not work, but you have a severe angle on that tab with the strap.
Old 03-22-2004, 10:36 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

Pic of mine from side, with my lousy too short I-beams, but I make the best of it. Very slight touch as strap follows bend of hull toward eyelet. Works great... last long time. You can see however, how tightening pushes the boat forward, which is why, I have front tie-downs too, holding back.
Attached Thumbnails Trailer Tie Down-dsc00318.jpg  

Last edited by Sydwayz; 03-22-2004 at 10:44 PM.
Old 03-22-2004, 10:39 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

Whole thing:
Attached Thumbnails Trailer Tie Down-dsc00352mod.jpg  

Quick Reply: Trailer Tie Down

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.