Notices

Cell phones on boats

Old 04-20-2004, 01:59 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You guys will love this.
I went to drop my AT&T service yesterday.
They said I have to pay a $175.00 early termination fee. I explained that I was dropping them because my phone face now reads Cingullar and I do not get service. The Supervisor explained to me that "AT&T does not have to provide service...Its in your contract"
Let me get this straight. I pay (Don't fall off you chairs) $285.00 per month to AT&T for what? I thought this whole time it was for service. Now I find out they are not actually obligated to provide "Service" WTF???

I have to get into the cellphone business!

I ended up dropping my plan down to $19.99 per month for the remaining 5 months. I will just leave a voicemail stating my new number and that AT&T is a scam. Everyone who calls will be a bit more informed. Maybe they should have let me out of my policy.

Other AT&T Highlights:
They sent me 8 (Yes 8) phones trying to figure out why my phone would not work in my area (I live in Orange County kids, we are born with cell phones hooked to our heads out here).
They tell me "Find one that works and send the rest back".
OK, fair enough. Then they bill me $1850.00 on my next bill for the phones and one month of service. So I pay for the month and the one phone I kept and sent the others back. They said it take 2 months for the returns to go back in there system and cut off my service until I paid. So, I paid. Wouldn't you know it, I only got credit for sending 6 phones back.

I am AT&T's unpaid research and development dept.
Old 04-20-2004, 02:01 PM
Charter Member #30
Charter Member

Received 14 Likes on 5 Posts

I use my phone a lot 2,500 min a month I travel all of Michigan, Ohio, Kentucky, Indiana and Illinois. The only phone I have ever used that covered all of the areas believe it or not is Nextel. The only service I have ever found with unlimited any time minutes is Nextel (Grandfathered in @$149.00 per Month). The kids use Cricket unlimited at around $35.00 per month.
The two-way works out great for us, most of the dock hands have it and makes it easy coming in to find out what side of the boat to start prepping first.
This works out great for us but may suck in other areas for others, since we seem to boat in the same waters hope this helps.

BTW don't you need a boat first before you can use a phone on it
Sorry someone had to say it
Old 04-20-2004, 02:56 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I was dropping them because my phone face now reads Cingullar
Unfortunately AT&T was bought out by Cingular.
Is this happening in your home area or while traveling?
I get service changes while traveling (roaming). Each company (be it AT&T, Cingular, Verizon, etc.) have agreements on sharing antenna usage. If AT&T doesn't have or provide coverage in a particular sector your call or service will be picked up by someone else.
Old 04-20-2004, 02:59 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

[i]
I ended up dropping my plan down to $19.99 per month for the remaining 5 months. I will just leave a voicemail stating my new number and that AT&T is a scam. Everyone who calls will be a bit more informed. Maybe they should have let me out of my policy.

[/B]
you might need to check it out. usually when you change plans it renews your contract for another year. when you call and *****, they say "its in your contract" happened many times on our nextels

one time they added nationwide direct connect. when i called told them i didnt order it and to cancel it, they said that was renewing my contract for another year
Old 04-20-2004, 09:43 PM
Gold Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally posted by Iggy
Unfortunately AT&T was bought out by Cingular.
unfortunatly?
Actually it is a good thing. There where to many players in the field, someone was going down. There is still talk about another carrier going away. The fit with Cingular and AT&T was the best. The networks are basially the same, the frequencys they own are pretty much the same, etc. What it will do is make the largest footprint under one company throughout the US. AT&T was preping themselves for a purchase for a few months now. If you look at their stock prices it has gone down ever since the IPO. They where hurting, and like any other company that is not doing well financially, they will either go bankrupt or get bought out.
Old 04-20-2004, 10:05 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Rumors around here are that Cingular is going to acquire T-Mobile.
Old 04-20-2004, 10:26 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I LOVE AT&T
Old 04-20-2004, 10:28 PM
Gold Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Cingular was looking at aquireing T mobile as well, but their parent company does not want to sell. Also the fact that they just put a bid in fot AT&T for 41billion dollars. In fact Tmobile is looking to grow also and may look at buying another carrier.

Last edited by ChrisK; 04-20-2004 at 10:31 PM.
Old 04-21-2004, 08:02 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What ever phone you use get a dual band antena on your vhf radio............then get a pig tail that plugs into your phone antena. They claim boosting reception 30 miles. I am going to try it one of these days. I use nextel and have had most others and will stay with nextel.