Notices

Cell phones on boats

Old 04-19-2004, 04:46 PM
LPA2106

Default Cell phones on boats

1.) Any models or services seem to offer greater coverage offshore for a few miles in Michigan or Florida?

2.) Are any of the prepaid phones like you get at Target a good deal for TEENS etc or better with a regular account cost wise?

3.) Cingular is not working for me coverage or expense wise...who has the best value....decent cost and good service too..??

Thanks!

Old 04-19-2004, 04:52 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Trying to drop AT&T today after 3.5 very long expensive crappy years of bad service (Glutten for pinishment). I did some research and am going to T-mobile this evening. Friends have been very happy and the prices are right. Plus, with free phones, they are disposable. I already have 3 phones at the bottom of the pacific!
Old 04-19-2004, 06:00 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

AT&T was the worst cell phone service I ever had
Old 04-19-2004, 06:13 PM
Fightclub

The best overall coverage in MI is Verizon... Not the cheapest but works just about everywhere.

Old 04-19-2004, 06:16 PM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

Received 259 Likes on 92 Posts

1) what great lake in michigan do you use most? i am with Altell and could not be happier. i seem to have good coverage pretty much any where i am at on the lake (western lake erie)

2) probably the best deal for teens is one of those Criket phones but coverage is limited to home area only.

3) i went to Alltel a few years ago and have had the best service and coverage of any phone i have had. i travel frequently and have a plan that works well. no roaming no long dist. and very resonable base bill rate. the phone service itself is great. never lose calls and customer service is good too.
08 OPA High Points Champion
10 OPA Class 1 National Champion ( happy now Ed! )
Old 04-19-2004, 07:50 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by glassdave
3) i went to Alltel a few years ago and have had the best service and coverage of any phone i have had. i travel frequently and have a plan that works well. no roaming no long dist. and very resonable base bill rate. the phone service itself is great. never lose calls and customer service is good too.
KUDOS to that. I travel A Lot (sitting in the Detroit Airport typing this). By far I have had excellent service with Alltel and I am all over the US and Canada. The only place I found Alltel not to work so far was Northern Cali (Eureka-Scotia area) but hell nothing works there unless its from there...and a lot of things from there don't work
Old 04-19-2004, 11:01 PM
Gold Member

Man these are some loaded questions. I work for Cingular, not in sales or billing, customer service, etc... so dont ask me There is a difference in the models of phones. The price has NO impact on the performace either. Some of the most expensive phones we carry are the biggest POS's also. The basic rule I tell people is the smaller the phone is, the poorer it will perform. Basic reason is there is less transmit power availible.

The service is all dependent on the area in which you live. Here in central and south FL I do believe we have the best coverage(I was a customer long before I worked here).. In other parts of the country I know we are not the best.

The prepaid phones you see are just reselling some carriers service as their wn for the most part. Cricket and a few others do have their own networks but as someone said, they only work in their "home area". Virgin mobile for example is T mobile that is repackaged.

OK I said enought I think Me go now...
Old 04-20-2004, 12:04 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I use AT&T now too and I think it stinks, I have also heard nothing but good things about Alltel. hey will be my next carrier for sure.

Roby
Old 04-20-2004, 05:08 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

"Trying to drop AT&T today after 3.5 very long expensive crappy years of bad service"

"AT&T was the worst cell phone service I ever had"

"I use AT&T now too and I think it stinks"

Too bad.
I've had them for 8 years with no complaints.
Excellent service, customer service, plans, and coverage.

Any models or services seem to offer greater coverage offshore for a few miles in Michigan or Florida?
All cell phone have the same output power (FCC regulations). The limiting factor is distance to nearest cell tower and ambient conditions.
If you need genuine offshore telephone communications look into a sat phone ($$$$$).
Old 04-20-2004, 06:59 AM
Registered

I'm a converted Verizon user. Like many already said, I had AT&T, service was lousy in my local area, but had the nationwide plan.

My wife talked me into VErizon family plan. Kids got free phones and all the calls within the family on the cells are free, all day everyday, that was half my cell bill.

I can't believe I'm saying it, but VErizon was definately a good move.

Quick Reply: Cell phones on boats

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.