Old 04-20-2004, 09:29 PM
Official OSO boat whore
Charter Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What is his screen name mitch?
Old 04-20-2004, 09:31 PM
Registered

Thanks Lotoparty, I'll buy you a drink when I am there in 6 weeks. Cord, I am trying to call, I don't know his name, sorry. Oh yea...it is MUD.
Old 04-20-2004, 09:47 PM
Mr. Demeanor

As a guy with a boat for sale, I am really interested to see how this works out. If I take a deposit on my boat is that really enough w/o a contract of some sort? If not, then why take a deposit? I hope this works out for you Mitch and maybe we can all learn somthing in the process. My boat is on consignent so the situation is a little different but I would hate to take it off the market if the deposit means nothing.
I'm a little gun shy after selling my house and having the buyer try and walk away the morning of closing. Nearly came to violence in my garage when he showed up.

Old 04-20-2004, 10:54 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Mitch,
Deposits like this are fairly complicated things. If you put a deposit on a boat, you are asking the owner not to sell it until you get your finances arranged. The seller then may miss other offers, even for more money than you offered.

So, what is the owner's position in this deal. He keeps the deposit if you back out.

To protect you and him, all of the possible outs for either party need to documented in a contract. Did you have a written contract? Did he bail on the contract? No offense but, did you bail?

I don't mean to offend a fellow board member but many people think you can just hand someone $1000.00 to hold a boat and then if you back out for some reason you should get your money back.

Care to share details? If not I understand and I'll shut up. And,,,,,,really,,,,,, I'm not on your case here Mitch. It's just a discussion of how these things are misunderstood.

Dave
Old 04-20-2004, 10:58 PM
Mr. Demeanor

I think that the guy told him he (Mitch) could have his money back if he backed out. I imagine that the seller will never admit to that though unless it is in writing.

Old 04-20-2004, 11:01 PM
Registered

Originally posted by Mr. Demeanor
I think that the guy told him he (Mitch) could have his money back if he backed out. I imagine that the seller will never admit to that though unless it is in writing.
If thats not in writing somewhere,,,,,,,,, well.................

If it is, case closed.
Old 04-20-2004, 11:03 PM
Registered

The boat was not on the market and I paid the deposit to get first chance, I called him within a week and told him I was not interested in the boat, told him to keep $100 for his trouble. During our first talks he said many times it was just a deposit and he would pay it back if things did not work out. He is 12 hours from me and it did not work for that and other reasons. I would never have gave him the money if I was not sure he would give it back. There was nothing but my memo on the check as written anything. All this aside, it is just crap he is acting like this, I would never hold someones money and never call or respond in over a month, how can a person like this live with themselfs??
Old 04-20-2004, 11:13 PM
Registered

Well Mitch, I agree with you about how could this guy could be such a jerk as to keep your money. However, you left yourself wide open.

Plus, it's only $100.00. Chalk this one up to "don't trust anyone" and say the hell with it. Plus, going to court over 100 bucks is silly and he knows it.

There are many of us on this board who are honest and trusting. We can make deals with nothing more than a virtual handshake. I know I can, I've done it with other members and all was fine. Gives you a good feeling when deals can be done so nicely. However, when those deals go south, we have only ourselves to blame for Mr. Nice Guy.

Sorry for your loss and hassels. I know if I were that guy, I'd be embarrassed and ashamed to keep your money.
Old 04-20-2004, 11:33 PM
Registered

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally posted by ThirdBird
Well Mitch, I agree with you about how could this guy could be such a jerk as to keep your money. However, you left yourself wide open.

Plus, it's only $100.00. Chalk this one up to "don't trust anyone" and say the hell with it. Plus, going to court over 100 bucks is silly and he knows it.

There are many of us on this board who are honest and trusting. We can make deals with nothing more than a virtual handshake. I know I can, I've done it with other members and all was fine. Gives you a good feeling when deals can be done so nicely. However, when those deals go south, we have only ourselves to blame for Mr. Nice Guy.

Sorry for your loss and hassels. I know if I were that guy, I'd be embarrassed and ashamed to keep your money.
You need to follow this story from the beginning. The amount is 2K. Mitch told him he could keep $100 of that amount for his trouble. This is why Mitch is screaming so loud.

I think that is enough money to scream about IMO.

Buck
Old 04-21-2004, 12:18 AM
Registered

I thought I did follow the story from the beginning, no talk here about any 2k. Must be more than this thread, eh?

Anyway, yeah, hell yeah, 2k is plenty to scream about. Thats a serious loss. But again, all the more reason for a fully thought-out and documented contract.

Mitch - why in the world did you give him 2 grand??? Thats a lot of scratch for a deposit. $500.00 should be enough.

2 grand warrants going to court over. I just hope you can come up with more of a case than "he said he would give it back".

Quick Reply: The Deadbeat

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.