Gladiator flipped in Biscayne Bay...

Notices

Gladiator flipped in Biscayne Bay...

Old 05-01-2004, 01:06 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by Sandisk
Reed we have seen it all
I keep telling myself that... but then I go to the uncensored section and see what Strip Poker has posted and I'm in a whole new catagory of weird stuff....
Old 05-01-2004, 01:08 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by Downtown42
yum yum... that cheese was spectacular in my omelet this morning. Some of the best I've ever had.
Processed Bovine excrement.........
Old 05-01-2004, 03:54 PM
Sandisk

Hey "42" thanks for the omelet update.

Old 05-01-2004, 04:12 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sand- what boat do you have? pics?
Old 05-07-2004, 02:14 PM
T2x
Allergic to Nonsense
Platinum Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally posted by SummerObsession
I say "irresponsible" for two reasons.
1. As much as you obviously know about boats, cats in particular, I cannot imagine it possible that you have visited every factory, driven every boat, and studied the design and handling characteristics of EVERY boat built "West of Denver". Therefore leaving you unqualified to make the statement that all the aforementioned boats are "unstable".

2. People on this board respect you and your advice enough that causing perhaps undue doubt rearding any boat manufacturer or their products simply for the mere fact of it's location of manufacture is completely unfair to the manufacturer and the members of this board.
There's an old adage......that goes something like "I may not be able to cook a great hamburger...but I can sure taste a bad one."

I have looked at a number of West Coast boats over the past decades........ some more closely than others. What I've seen...and I can't think of exceptions.... perhaps there are some..... is a paint job supported by something that floats. Generally they are cut down or modified "pops' of other west coast hulls that weren't very good to begin with. The single supporting dynamic for all this junk is their proximity to, and relationships with, the major performance boating magazines which by default are also their primary advertizing venues.

From a performance standpoint most vee builders , East or West Coast based..are stuck in the rut of trying to "out step" each other...and therefore the West Coast is not as glaringly different on those products. It is the cats, however, where technological excellense and originality are imperatives, that suffer the most in the "dumb downed" atmosphere of West Coast manufacture. While anyone can wedge unlimited horsepower into a bathtub and go fast, that is not the technique favored by the better Cat builders (Skater, Platinum).... Yes the good cats can accept high HP...but they go like hell with modest power as well. On the handling side.....There is no comparison between the left and right coast cats.....nor is there any in rough water either..... The race course proved that long ago.

T2x.......... irresponsibly correct.
Old 05-07-2004, 02:16 PM
T2x
Allergic to Nonsense
Platinum Member

Originally posted by Fever Mike
I miss the bubbles in the Fountain advertisement theory! That was classic! I could not believe someone would even think that on an obviously re-touched photo!

Still waiting for T2X's design on the perfect boat line...
Mike:

I'm still trying to understand the question...... Are you asking what size do I think is "perfect"?...... or a preferred size for a certain type of water?

Simple answer....buy a Skater. Otherwise I'll be glad to address specifics.

T2x
Old 05-07-2004, 04:10 PM
T2x
Allergic to Nonsense
Platinum Member

Originally posted by Fever Mike
T2X, The bubbles statement was me just being funny about a LPA2106 post a while back.

The other question is a serious question and not a slam. I know it's hard to tell if someone is slamming someone on OSO but I know your history and design idea's and I wanted to read what you would come up with for a design of a step bottom deep V hull.
What are the designs you believe to be bad? You mention in a past thread that there are a lot of bad designed hulls out there. What would you do different with these designs.
Mike:

Fair enough.......I didn't take the question as a slam, rather it confused me. But I get it now.

My position is pretty constant that vee monohulls do not benefit from steps... in terms of mph at high speeds, in fact, I submit, they slow you down.. I will acknowledge that steps MAY provide an advantage in a more submerged (slower) environment. However, absent, some form of skid fin or aft adhesion technology, steps will almost always create greater tendencies to spin out than non step hulls. That does not mean that non step hulls will not spin out, but it will take greater dynamic forces to create the occurence........

So.... I would eliminate steps altogether.... and concentrate on delta pad designs with greater aerodynamic lift from the hull sides and deck. (see the Allison below)........ In terms of speed and handling....this design is dramatically superior to the existing Stepped thingamajigs popping out of factories like head lice...... Certainly it needs to be reworked for rough water...but not by as much as you might think. If you did a scale up on this to say 40 feet..... and put in a pair of Sterling 1300's......let's just say that Reggie and OL....would be sucking wind in its wake. Why?.. simply because a step cannot reduce forward surface friction........when there is none to begin with.

Bottom line......When you're faster......and safer.....that's a good thing.

T2x
Attached Thumbnails Gladiator flipped in Biscayne Bay...-1.jpg  

Last edited by T2x; 05-07-2004 at 04:57 PM.
Old 05-07-2004, 04:16 PM
T2x
Allergic to Nonsense
Platinum Member

No amount of steps.... could speed this up.

T2x
Attached Thumbnails Gladiator flipped in Biscayne Bay...-1sbjoe.jpg  
Old 05-07-2004, 04:18 PM
jb
Registered

good bantor here..
Old 05-07-2004, 04:44 PM
Member #2 ....Jeeezz
Charter Member

Originally posted by T2x

Bottom line if you did a scale up on this to say 40 feet.....
.... it would be one ugly MoFo

Last edited by cigarette1; 05-07-2004 at 04:58 PM.

Quick Reply: Gladiator flipped in Biscayne Bay...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.