Notices

trailer hitch ball?

Old 05-06-2004, 10:56 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Tow the car with the truck........I must be missing something. If that does not work as a result of the truck you rented, take it back and rent a truck from Ryder along with one of their car haulers. Then you can tow the boat with the Burban.
Old 05-06-2004, 11:06 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

When you get there just take your 2 5/16" ball off the truck and return the truck to them, if they ask about the ball just say that I didn't rent a trailer, don't remember seeing a ball on it, chances are they aren't even going to notice it's gone. That way they can reinstall a new ball to their standards, if you have it welded back on you could be responsible if it came off later and they could prove that you had taken it off.
Sorry we aren't going to see you around here anymore, anytime you get back to visit there will be boatrides available.

Later,
Caleb
Old 05-06-2004, 11:21 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Actually I liked your solution of towing the boat with the Suburban and the Impalla with the truck but was posting at the same time and didn't think of that, I don't think he'd have to lie as they wouldn't notice it was gone, he could even leave their 2" ball in the glovebox for them.
Old 05-06-2004, 11:25 PM
Registered

Sorry Timewarp.......shouldn't have posted that the way I did
Old 05-06-2004, 11:32 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by h2owarrior
Tow the car with the truck........I must be missing something. If that does not work as a result of the truck you rented, take it back and rent a truck from Ryder along with one of their car haulers. Then you can tow the boat with the Burban.
Swell Idea but when I called around Ryder does not rent trucks one wa from Seattle to Tampa

Old 05-06-2004, 11:36 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Doesn't Budget rent car trailers to go with their trucks or do you already own a trailer???

Caleb
Old 05-06-2004, 11:43 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

OK did not want to get this deep into it but. The Burb and the impala will not be headed to FL on this trip. The Burb needs the front end rebuilt and the motor is out of the impala.
Caleb, I will mis all my freinds here and I know that boating in WA is its very own but it is something I have to try.
What does every one think about changing the the coupler? A new one with surge brake can be had for about 150 bucks. The one that is on it is a 95 so is it ready for replacement?

Rag's
Old 05-06-2004, 11:53 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

As long as the coupler you get is rated for enough weight that is a way to do it, the problem is that you will have trouble finding a surge brake coupler that's rated for over 6000 lbs for a 2" ball.
Changing the ball on the truck would be a lot cheaper.

I been to Florida and it's cool, you'll have a good time.

Caleb
Old 05-07-2004, 12:47 AM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

Well, if you are considering replacing the coupler; just go ahead and hitch that 2 5/16 coupler up to the 2 inch pall, and take some wacks at the base of the couple with a 4 pound ball peen hammer, and close off the base of the coupler around the ball. That will get you there.

(Just kidding.)

I think you are really walking on eggshells with this whole thing. I think the proper way to do it is either replace the ball on the truck for the trip, or replace the coupler with a 2" coupler, and sell it when you get to FL as slightly used.

BTW, the reason they PUT 2" balls on their trucks is so we don't pull stuff like this... literally.
Old 05-07-2004, 07:45 AM
VIP Member
Platinum Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

TIEDOWNŽ MODEL 66 6600lb
I have the disc version on a tanden with 25ft of boat
your boat is only 23ish so it should not weight more than this
http://www.championtrailers.com/

LARGER CAPACITY- ALUMINUM MASTER CYLINDERS.
DOUBLE LOCKING COUPLER LATCH.
RAISED FILL CAP DESIGN - KEEPS WATER OUT OF MASTER CYLINDER.
REVERSE LOCK-OUT OPTION.
EASY TO USE MECHANICAL - QUICK BLEED ACCESS.

TIEDOWNŽ MODEL 66
6600# MAX GVWR CAPACITY.
ZINC PLATED.
FITS 2" COUPLER BALL.
FITS 3" WIDE BOX TUBE TONGUE.

Last edited by wwwTOPDJcom; 05-07-2004 at 07:48 AM.

Quick Reply: trailer hitch ball?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.