Notices

trailer hitch ball?

Old 05-06-2004, 08:12 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default trailer hitch ball?

I went to reserve a moving truck yeasterday and took a look at the ball. I know you are not sapose to tow anything besides there equipment but I want to tow my boat. The ball and the nut are weilded on to the bar and it is a 2" ball, my boat trailer has a 2 5/16 coupler. What do I do and what are my options? Rag's
Old 05-06-2004, 09:01 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you have enough tongue weight and go slow and not too far, no problem. Done it before.
Old 05-06-2004, 09:18 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Charlie,
Where you moving to??
Did you get that DVD to work??
Later,
Caleb

P.S. Is there another hole on the bar the ball is mounted on you could mount another ball on? Even if it's a little off center it would work. If the nut is just welded on the ball just cut the nut off and put on a bigger ball, if the ball itself is welded to the truck you might need to do some grinding but you should be able to get the ball off.
Old 05-06-2004, 09:24 PM
Registered

get a friend to move the boat.....don't risk it
Old 05-06-2004, 09:27 PM
OSO Moderator
Charter Member

Received 25 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally posted by enticer
get a friend to move the boat.....don't risk it

From Seattle to Florida
Old 05-06-2004, 09:28 PM
Registered

Originally posted by formula31
If you have enough tongue weight and go slow and not too far, no problem. Done it before.

Whatever you do......do not take this advice....it is bad
Old 05-06-2004, 09:47 PM
JC
Registered

Put the jack down and try to lift the trailer off the ball... I have lifted the wheels off the ground of the truck before even though the ball is one size smaller.
Old 05-06-2004, 09:52 PM
Registered

Originally posted by JC
Put the jack down and try to lift the trailer off the ball... I have lifted the wheels off the ground of the truck before even though the ball is one size smaller.

Don't do it ........there is only downside .....high risk, no reward
Old 05-06-2004, 09:57 PM
Registered

NO, don't do it, not for a mile, if you ask any trailer guy or a police officer they will tell you that most trailer accidents are caused by the ball being too small, the coupler breaking, the receiver bending/breaking. But a huge number are from the coupler poping off the ball, even if it is the right size people do not grease them, they wear and get bigger and pop goes the trailer. Jacking it up will not reproduce the same force as an overpass bump, you will lose the whole thing on a good one. Go buy a class five receiver (solid) and a 12,000lb ball, about $80 for all and no more worries. Please do not do this no matter what anyone says. I don't want to read the horror story here. This is the most important part of the trailer, the wheels are next, make sure they are up to the trip, inflation, bearings (just spin them on a jack and listen and pull from top to botom and side to side, there should be no play) Take your time, 70 is plent fast. People that say they drive 80-90 are crazy and hopfully exagerating. I will ship you mine if you have no money, it weighs about 50lbs. I just re read it, if you cannot change the ball because it is welded to the bumper, don't even cut it off to put the 2 5/16 on, the bumper will cave in. If it is a receiver that can be removed buy or borrow a big one. man I would try and take the advice of having someone help. I sure wish I could but I am as far from you as you can get. Just don't do the "well, maybe it will work; it won't, Murphys Law #2

Last edited by MitchStellin; 05-06-2004 at 10:02 PM.
Old 05-06-2004, 10:01 PM
Registered

Yeah,What Mitch said!BOB

Quick Reply: trailer hitch ball?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.