Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Friend of mine was killed yesterday >

Friend of mine was killed yesterday

Notices

Friend of mine was killed yesterday

Old 05-11-2004, 08:22 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry about your Loss and our thoughts and prayers go out to his Wife and children.
Mike sorry about your accident . Ron and I rode together on his R6 3 times and I was upset with him our last ride out he said that was it and the bike was going. I love to ride. but a few weeks ago there was a guy on our road (which is the short cut To LG and the corners are extreme) he was laying in some one's driveway with a white sheet over him upto his helmet. not sure what happened but it was enough for me to realize realtiy....
and now when I hear them riding on our road at ungodly speeds it's no longer tempting.
I am now glad that my guy made that choice to sell the bike.
Old 05-11-2004, 08:24 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 344 Likes on 115 Posts
Unhappy

Sorry to hear the bad news. All included in this tragedy will be include in my thoughts and prayers.

Craig
Old 05-11-2004, 08:38 AM
Registered

Very sorry to hear.

Most common is people turning left in front of you. Anything can happen.
I ride without helmets and have a few. I know the risk factor goes up but life is worth risk.

I don't ride much, mostly in the country. There is more respect for bikes here in Milw, but as Rodger 1 stated...
assume everyone is trying to kill ya and ride accordingly.

Mike, I know about your leg and I think about that. Anything can happen.

Once again, DOCK...sorry to hear.. and help the family.
Old 05-11-2004, 08:38 AM
Enjoy the show
VIP Member

Sorry to hear of your loss.
Old 05-11-2004, 08:40 AM
Registered

DR - sorry to hear about your loss.

Fever Mike - I agree 100% with you. I know I posted somewhere else here about selling my bike (Ducati 748). I miss the thing every time I see another bike, but after an accident with my truck, I don't think I'll ever buy another bike again. I consider myself to be a pretty safe rider, I got my motorcycle license in Florida which required a course for anyone under 18 I believe. The course was excellent. A full weekend taught by the same guys that actually train a lot of the Florida motorcycle police. The class provided bikes, and training from simply not falling over (for those who needed it) to full brake panic stops and obstacle courses. These guys taught the basic concept that everything is an obstacle out to get you and you better think of it as such. Unlike driver's ed, these instructors knew the real world and talked about/demonstrated/taught real situations instead of preaching the classic "do not speed", "use your turn signal", "parallel park" etc.
That being said, the obstacle concept is something I apply to everyday driving. A year and a half ago, I was driving on a road I'd driven a hundred times before and I saw a Pontiac Sunfire stop at an intersection. The driver literally made eye contact with me (something I always looked for on the bike), waited until I was nearly on top of her, and floored it out in front of my 2500 Chevy. The girl was airlifted out and luckily lived, but my truck was totalled. I can't imagine the shape I would have been in if I'd been on the bike. This was one of those cases, where no matter how much you think you can be aware and cautious, the times come when there is virtually nothing you can do.
Old 05-11-2004, 08:48 AM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

Old 05-11-2004, 08:48 AM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Wow, very sorry to hear that, RIP!
Old 05-11-2004, 08:53 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sorry to hear it.

I stopped riding because I didn't (couldn't) enjoy it anymore. I had a few close calls, one of which scared me enough to make me park it for a month. After that every ride was mentally taxing. I couldn't relax. Every car coming at me was a potential accident. I'd watch them like a hawk, expecting them to do something stupid. Always looking to see if they would turn in front of me.

A section of the Jersey State Drivers Manual stated that if you held up a pencil at arms length, the pencil would block your view of a bike that was 100' away.
It also said "remember, to most drivers you are invisible. Ride defensively".

I've been watching the way some of the local kids ride their bikes around my area. Scary, very scary. Passing on the shoulder, running up between cars to pass, pulling wheelies in traffic. These kids are going to be statistics before you know it.

Dockrocker, this is by no means a reflection on your friend. I'm sure he was a responsible rider.

Thoughts and prayers go out to his family.

Last edited by Iggy; 05-11-2004 at 09:00 AM.
Old 05-11-2004, 09:02 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry to hear that. I had a car do that to me years ago and I laid the bike down to avoid the collision. Car kept going but a witness got the license#. Cop said there was nothing they could do because there was no contact. However... he did run the plate and gave me a pen a piece of paper to get the address as he looked the other way.
I really hope they find this woman and charge her with murder. No such thing as a fender bender on a bike.
Old 05-11-2004, 09:13 AM
Registered

How incredibly tragic. I'm sorry. Thoughts and prayers go out to his family and friends.

Quick Reply: Friend of mine was killed yesterday

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.