Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Big and Heavy (hitch) Balls >

Big and Heavy (hitch) Balls

Notices

Big and Heavy (hitch) Balls

Old 05-12-2004, 02:59 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just went through this as well while setting up my '04 Avalnche 2500/8.1L/4.10 to tow my 35' Mistress. I ordered thru HitchFinder/Drawtite-hitches.com as well. One of the boxes that should have contained the hitch ball and shank arrived empty, but they promptly shipped me a replacement - no questions asked. I just ordered some additional parts, a coupler lock, etc and requested 2nd day shipping. They were nice enough to promptly call me and notify me that one of the items was out of stock, but could be drop-shipped in 2 days. Alot of company's wouldn't make that kind of effort...

I bought the Draw-Tite 12,000lb/1200 WD trunnion bar setup, PN:7903, but I used a 2 5/16" 14,000lb rated Titan ball, PN:74905. It fits the 12,000lb Reciever Head/Ball Mount just fine and gives the pice of mind of knowing that every component is rated for the task at hand.

As mentioned, you CAN use WD hitch systems with surge brakes safely, but not sway control sysems.

Last edited by Monty; 05-13-2004 at 08:17 AM.
Old 05-12-2004, 03:17 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

Monty, thanks for your info. Exact same plan I have.
Old 05-12-2004, 03:46 PM
Registered

Ready to go
Attached Thumbnails Big and Heavy (hitch) Balls-trailerboat.jpg  

Last edited by ToddW; 05-12-2004 at 04:42 PM.
Old 05-12-2004, 04:34 PM
Registered

Todd-

LMFAO

what kinda hitch on the travel trailer???
Old 05-12-2004, 04:42 PM
Registered

Originally posted by Thunder32
Todd-

LMFAO

what kinda hitch on the travel trailer???

I didn't want to put too much strain on the trailer. So I ran extended safety chains from the tongue of the boat trailer to the truck hitch to take up the tensile load. I hitch I found on www.acme-hitches.com

BTW for additional braking I added a remote control to the boat trailer tongue jack and equipped the lower pad with a custom brake shoe.
Old 05-12-2004, 07:25 PM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I use the 30,000 lbs ball for my trailer !

I am a draw tight distributer too . Among many others .... Weight distributing is about the only way to go when hauling something alittle bigger then you should be anyway !
I install them almost every day .

It DOES put a heavy twist on the surge coupler and DOES somewhat limit it's freedom to slide also causeing more and faster ware . But if the system is adjusted right , you will be able to use it OK. Most people should not be installing this them selves ! They and /or hitch dealers for the most part ,do not understand how to set it up properly or what it is really suposed to do .....
Someone stated that it fell off ........ That means it was installed wrong or is broken ! It is imposible to fall off otherwise .

All these ratings can drive you crazy ! They should stop building everything except heavy duty !! Throw all the other junk away !!

I have a guy that wanted a 30k lbs ball to put on his 5k lbs hitch head ,to go into his 4k lbs hitch ...........

And yes ,they make heavy duty hitch heads too ! I have one rated for 2000 tongue weight and 13000 towing !! problem is , it's only a 2" shank that fits a standard hitch ! WHich most hitches are only rated for 5000 or 7500 lbs if you are lucky !!

No matter what you buy from some "expert ", something will probably be wrong !
Either the ball is too light , the head is too ligh , the hitch is too light , or the Volkswagen you are towing with can't REALLY handle 30,000 lbs like the dealer said it would !!!

IF you buy weight distributing , get the "trunnion "set up . NOT the "round bar ". The round bar is an "L" shaped bar that goes up inside from the bottom . They are lots of trouble ...

Get them set up properly ,and if you make EXTREME sharp turns , the bars can hit the trailer and rip off ! If you have to turn that sharp , take them off while doing so .

Good luck sydwayz ! If you got any questions , call me .
Joe
Old 05-12-2004, 07:29 PM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

ToddW, What in the world are you thinking !! That is some picture ! WHat is the towing capacity of your "CAMPER" ? Or did you just rap a rope around the spare tire and hook it to the boat trailer !
Old 05-12-2004, 07:42 PM
Charter Member #34
Charter Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the Reese Titan Class 5 hitch on the F-350 and their 2-1/2 inch ball mount, all rated at 13, 000 lbs and a 16,000 pound ball. That is the best I am been able to find and is just withing the limits of what I tow.

However like all of you I worry too much about it, which is a good thing.

Just yesterday a good friend calls me at the office around noon to tell me that his 32 Fountain just came unhooked from his truck not a mile from my house.

He has an F-250 Ford, a nice aluminum trailer and I just sold him all new bearinsg and seals and he just replaced the brakes on both axles. He like us tries to keep his equipment in tip top shape. I might add that he also is in the grading business and his very use to towing heavy loads.

Needless to say he was very upset. The had just pulled out on the main road and was picking up speed when he saw the bow of the boat going left out the rear view mirror. As he begain to slow the brake chain on the trailer locked the brakes down and he got stopped without the boat contacting his truck. The only real damage was to the trailer jack which was a total loss.

He wanted to know what I thought and because we are very good friends I told him I thought he got in too big a hurry and did not get the tongue down on the ball properly.

He inspected his tounge and the inner workings and all looked good, but he is going to change out everything to be on the safe side.

One thing he did discover is that his 2-5/16 ball only measured 2-1/4 inch. I would say that this could be a big problem and he bought a new ball yesterday.

Have any of you seen a problem where a trailer came off the ball that was properly locked down?

What maintanence to you guys think needs to be done on the trailer lock?

Personally I have changed by ball out almost every year. Probably not necessary, but it makes me feel better.
Attached Thumbnails Big and Heavy (hitch) Balls-picture-020.jpg  
Old 05-12-2004, 07:55 PM
Registered

No Seriously, the camper towing the boat is a joke.

I tow with a Titan Heavy Duty Class 5, 2-1/2 receiver, 2-5/16" 14,000 lb ball.
Old 08-10-2004, 09:46 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts
Default Full update after WD Hitch installation:

Before:
Attached Thumbnails Big and Heavy (hitch) Balls-im001524.jpg   Big and Heavy (hitch) Balls-im001525.jpg   Big and Heavy (hitch) Balls-im001526.jpg  

Quick Reply: Big and Heavy (hitch) Balls

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.