Notices

Another stepped hull goes dancing

Old 06-04-2004, 12:11 AM
OSO Content Provider
Commercial Member

Received 49 Likes on 23 Posts
Default Re: Another stepped hull goes dancing

I just have to say this again....

Unless you are in a race, or trying to prevent a collision, why must anyone crank their wheel so hard at such a high rate of speed?

If you want that kind of a rush, then sit your a$$ in a Champ Boat and pull a few G's... That is one of the hardest turning vehicles in the World!

Other than that, just don't do it if you don't have to.....

Digital Photography & Video one BYTE at a time !
Old 06-04-2004, 12:13 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rouxsterre
buy a skater if you can afford one
*or if you dont have a wife/girlfriend, dont need anywhere to keep anything, and never plan to lope along at 25-35 mph . . .
Old 06-04-2004, 06:02 AM
Registered

"Unless you are in a race, or trying to prevent a collision, why must anyone crank their wheel so hard at such a high rate of speed?"

i have no idea either.

sorry cig...
Old 06-04-2004, 06:11 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think that the point is that some of these spins may not be caused by "cranking the wheel" or "turning hard". I think the danger is in the idea that what was OK or acceptable in a straight bottom will get you in trouble on a step bottom.
Old 06-04-2004, 06:53 AM
WickedWon

Originally Posted by audacity
"Unless you are in a race, or trying to prevent a collision, why must anyone crank their wheel so hard at such a high rate of speed?"

i have no idea either.

sorry cig...
The instances i've witnessed did not involve turns as much as wakes, especially in fairly smooth water where the drivers are paying more attention to tachs and speedos than the water. A good example, I was chasing down a 38' Fountain in fairly flat water ( he was running 80+ and spending too much time looking back at me)) when he crossed a cruiser wake at an angle, the boat got out of shape on touch down an pivoted ( bow steered ) into a nasty hook. Boat stayed upright but scared the **** out of the guys. Did he chop the throttle, crank the wheel, trim the wrong direction ? I don't know but he wasn't turning hard when things went ugly.

Old 06-04-2004, 07:15 AM
Registered

still....no one has come up with a conventional 38' boat, weighing 9000# plus with 525 or 500's in it, that is going 90mph so we can compare!
Old 06-04-2004, 07:21 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 344 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by Hydrocruiser
-
I am out of this thread.

Welcome back LPA.
Old 06-04-2004, 07:22 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by WickedWon
The instances i've witnessed did not involve turns as much as wakes, especially in fairly smooth water where the drivers are paying more attention to tachs and speedos than the water. A good example, I was chasing down a 38' Fountain in fairly flat water ( he was running 80+ and spending too much time looking back at me)) when he crossed a cruiser wake at an angle, the boat got out of shape on touch down an pivoted ( bow steered ) into a nasty hook. Boat stayed upright but scared the **** out of the guys. Did he chop the throttle, crank the wheel, trim the wrong direction ? I don't know but he wasn't turning hard when things went ugly.
Do you think that any boat in the same circumstances would have gotten out of shape...or is it just the fact that it was a twin step Fountain???...I am assuming this of course.......or could it be the fact that at 80 plus miles an hour his focus was in the wrong place and set himself up for disaster???? Lets face it....when traveling at speeds like this in any type of challenging water you have to be paying attention.......or the consequences can be life threatening......So what is this a good example of really???????

Last edited by Spitfire1; 06-04-2004 at 07:29 AM.
Old 06-04-2004, 07:29 AM
Registered

I'm wondering if Cigarette is using a more aggressive step than say a Formula?

I had a chance to crawl under a Slingshot a couple weeks ago and my impression was the steps looked pretty mild.
Old 06-04-2004, 07:43 AM
WickedWon

Originally Posted by audacity
still....no one has come up with a conventional 38' boat, weighing 9000# plus with 525 or 500's in it, that is going 90mph so we can compare!
Hell the things go like stink !! As I've said before ya just gotta pay MORE attention than a straight V. My point was that many of these incidents are not the result of looking for the turning edge and getting bitten. The additional speed available to more operators is probably more to blame than anything, very few bad things happen at 70mph in a 38' boat but at 85+ things get much more interesting.

Quick Reply: Another stepped hull goes dancing

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.