Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: NY Reality Check

add 900k
Old 06-22-2004, 03:41 PM
Mod Squad Enforcer
Charter Member

Received 795 Likes on 258 Posts

Last 2 yrs. Lake Lanier Poker Run was $150+$25 xp. Cruisers had a course and Pontoons had a course, as well as the Hi-po machines. this year FPC comes in and it's now $400+$50xp.

150+ boats the last couple of years, I'll be surprised if they get 40 this year.
Old 06-22-2004, 03:43 PM
JC Performance Engines
Gold Member

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

388, but that is 46 and does over 170mph.

And just to think, my neighbor coulda picked that up instead of
his other 1st boat... a 44 Sea Ray.

I'm not sure if an OL would be twice as much as a Skater, MTI or Nortech, but I'd have to believe it would be a couple of 100k more. You're gonna need more power to hit the mid 100s in a V.
Anyone know how much JETSET cost?
This thread has gone astray... wanna start another one on this subject?
Old 06-22-2004, 04:36 PM
WickedWon

I'll beat this dead horse one more time cause VERY FEW people know the realities of these huge V speeds. Lets move the speed up to 150mph, a 40' Skater needs a pair of 900hp pump gas ( 5lbs of boost) #6 packages, the motors will last 50hrs+ and the drives a 100hrs+. The OL needs a pair of VERY EXOTIC ($$$) 1500hp (15lbs of boost) mills that need $7.00gal fuel and live MAYBE 5 HOURS and the drives maybe 20 !

Remember I refered to the cost of rigging and drivelines and their cost of operation not the total purchase price of the boats cause the hulls are always worth something but worn out drivelines ain't worth chit ! These super fast V's are VERY different animals and require a whole different level of commitment ($) than cats that run similar speeds.

All this is coming from a V guy, I respect cats, I just don't dig'em but facts is facts.

Old 06-22-2004, 04:56 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

New York is New York. And when you refer to New York it is always expensive. Nothing about the NY area is cheap. The big expensive boat is what it's all about, and it's what every one whats to see. It's also probably why most people bought there 1st boat. Who would by a Poker Runs America mag if it was all Bayliners? I don't think many people on OSO would. This run just seems to get bigger and bigger every year. Yes, you have your 100mph+ boats, and you have some boats that top at 50mph. (You never get to see those pics though.) It is what it is. But unfortunately this Poker Run has turned into more of a Race than a Poker Run.

As far as the OL/Fountain thing. They are each in a class of there own. To me it's kinda like compairing an Indy car to a Nascar car, you just can't do it. (But that's how I see in my mind.) I guess it's all about bragging rights. And unfortunately I can only see someone getting hurt trying to be the fastest. And for sure, the Hudson River is not the place for the 2 of them to be having a pi$$ing match. There is just toooooooo much debris floating in the river.

Well, I didn't get to run in it this year, due to the boat not being ready, but was lucky enough to spend Fri & Sat on the docks taking it all in and smelling the race fuel. I was also lucky enough to watch it on the water as a spectator thanks to mr_velocity. I just have to wait until next year to do it again, and again, and again.........

Okay, I'm done with my endless babble!
Old 06-22-2004, 04:56 PM
Registered

Regarding the comments made about the prices charged by the various Poker Runs - I think it comes down to valus received. If I'm paying $1000 to enter, the food had better be very good. Not the lame offerings being served at so many events. The organization should be top notch also.

With respect to the little guys - they seem to get no respect. I've been on runs where the organizer preaches about running the event at 60, then uses a 140 mph cat as the pace boat. Bye - Bye!

While I love walking the docks and seeing the heavy hardware, we seldom participate any more. The enjoyment of spending time on the water with like minded folks has mostly gone away.
Old 06-22-2004, 05:05 PM
Registered

RE: The NY run Yea the Ol"s were awesome and so were most of the other boats.
There must have been a truck load of lumber floating in the Hudson. Boats were all good.People were all good. But the food was S------!!!
Old 06-22-2004, 05:38 PM
Banned

The very first time I ever heard the term "poker run', we were down in Marathon on Labor Day about 25 years ago. I was there with some friends visiting their dad who lived down there. A bunch of the locals got together and picked out five bars to go to, have a drink, and pick up a card. There was no pressure to be first or anything like that. It seems to me it was more about fun back then.
Old 06-22-2004, 05:44 PM
Registered

So who says we have to play by the Super Ego Weeners rules. I think we should get a bunch of us together. All throw in 50 bucks. Do our own "fun" poker run and who ever has the best card, wins the pot. Dont need no stinking press releases, no drama, no membership cards required. Just throw in 50 bucks and hit all 5 spots.

So, any suggestions of which 5 bars and a good local to do this??
Old 06-22-2004, 05:51 PM
Registered

Everyone has an opinion and some make a good point. But at the same time The poker runs I have done are well recieved. I am in the middle of the crowd with my 353 but never looked down on the guys runnin the smaller boats but that is me. You will always encounter the guy who is roude no matter what event. I also mingled with the big boys too and are all generally nice a poker run does not discriminate on your boat a guy with a rowboat has the same chance at a hand as anybody! My point don't be intimidated by equipment but know your limit and boat capabilites and have some safe fun. There is always someone to run with at these things. If you are not comfortable with the large events then do some smaller ones they are usually alot more fun and more organized.

Quick Reply: NY Reality Check

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.