Notices

NY Reality Check

Old 06-23-2004, 04:54 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: NY Reality Check

Originally Posted by OffshoreOnly
Doesn't Billy start the boats according to speed? I believe he did last year. When they do them that way they work out fine.
If this is true I would be more likely to run...
Old 06-23-2004, 08:12 AM
Registered

I know a few people that ran with the boats in the NYC run, just to run with all those boats. We did the run a few years back, the video sucked, the photos sucked, the party and food also sucked. The boats that show up for the run are incredible but it's a lot more fun to go watch with a bunch of friends.
Old 06-23-2004, 08:15 AM
Registered

WickedWon - I agree completely with your original point. My personal thought (on somewhat of a side note), is that the Hudson is no place for an all out Fountain/Outerlimits battle. Between the floating telephone poles, freighter wakes, traffic, etc. - just too dangerous. I absolutely loved seeing the boats down there, and it certainly sounds like the Outerlimits guys even took it a little easy and weren't running flat out, but if Fountain had been there; there is no way I would want to be in the middle of the water in my little 25 footer knowing that 3 or 4 of these things were headed my way at 160 mph in a fierce battle. In my opinion, if there was a race venue with one series that you could count on to see each year, at one place, with one governing body, etc., etc., these boats would be there racing in a controlled environment. Since the whole race issue seems to be so turbulent with events not happening, and certain people not showing up, etc., I think more and more of these "race" setups are going to continue to spill over to Poker Runs, because they can count on the event happening and count on spectators coming to watch.

Last edited by JROMY; 06-23-2004 at 08:22 AM.
Old 06-23-2004, 08:53 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by mr_velocity
I know a few people that ran with the boats in the NYC run, just to run with all those boats. We did the run a few years back, the video sucked, the photos sucked, the party and food also sucked. The boats that show up for the run are incredible but it's a lot more fun to go watch with a bunch of friends.

That about sums up some previous NYC poker runs I went to..
Old 06-23-2004, 09:10 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Once upon a time, long ago someone "invented" the poker run. One day a big bad monster called the marketing executive came along and thought, I could make some serious money running these events. Soon the local participants were priced out of the game and the travelling side show of daddy mega bucks came and took over. The poor lowly local boater had no real choice due to financial reasons to just sit back and become a spectator of the whole grand thing. His once proud 60 mph boat was now nothing more than a tender when compared to the Big Show boats and he felt left out of all the fun. The "Big Poker Run" boys had come to take over his play ground in a BIG way. As time wore on, more and more "monied" players bought bigger and faster and more exclusive (read expensive) poker run boats all in the search of their 15 minutes of fame. mSoon it became a competition of who can spend the most money on a boat so that everyone will look at me and say "wow, he is the KING", "all hail the King". Meanwhile, the poor lowly local boater was thinking of a way to bring the FUN back to "HIS" poker run way of life without the need to win the lottery or rob the bank. The "Fun Run" was born out of that want and the poor lowly local boater started to feel happy again.Almost like time had reversed itself and allowed him to go boating with like minded individuals in search of not fame and praise, but fun with friends and family. Now there were two "poker run" worlds, one for the poor lowly local boater and one for the daddy megabucks boys to enjoy. Welcome to the new era of "the Poker Run". So whats the problem?
Old 06-23-2004, 09:13 AM
AT Cult Member #3
VIP Member

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by mr_velocity
Perfectly Worded!!!
Old 06-23-2004, 11:55 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Airpacker very well said, we used to do Poker Runs in the early 90's and had a blast. Back in those days most everyone made a weekend out of it and slept in their boats. After a break of about 5 yrs it is amazing to see how the bar has been raised. Boats like the OL's are amazing and beautiful to look at but out of our league. Poker Runs are popping up everywhere, we could probably attend one every weekend if so inclined. We now look for fun runs and weekend trips with similar boats. I like paying my own way for dockage, selecting my own food, and forgoing the sponsored labeled products in the goody bags. Butttttttttt I still like the idea of the Big League Poker Runs and seeing the awesome hardware they draw, somehow I still feel that I am a part of that sport, and that is exciting. There are definitely two classes of os pleasure boats and even thought I know which class I fit in to I still appreciate the other guys. MS PatriYacht
Old 06-23-2004, 12:12 PM
Charter Member #300
Charter Member

I still don't know about this back and forth, it's in my backyard, I'm a native new yorker, and I consider this a local event for me - therefore on some level "my" event. It's great that all the folks show up from all over bringing their killer equipment - that is what I am there for. I don't want quiet or small or slow.

You are not acknowleding it, but 50% of boats out there were "run what ya brung" guys and we all started back from the high-speed pack. We just don't get the pics and all this forum banter focused on us.

This is the 1st year with a miss-hap in five, and honestly, this one's start was much more controlled and much less wake action from years past. Even the bottom of the run, which is where it's worst had the tide and wind cooperating.

What's all the gripin about? It was a hoot.
Old 06-23-2004, 02:09 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I look at it this way.........there is/will always be somebody there with a bigger boat/faster boat/ deeper pockets, etc.......than you (or me) so just go to the events that you feel comfortable with and enjoy yourself.

I admit, the Outerlimits are outrageous (So are Skaters, Cigarettes, MTI and Nor-tech + others) They do make quite a showing at these events and I think it's cool. The prices of these machine has gone skyhigh. But, they keep building them, and people keep buying them. It's all relevant---you make alot of money and you buy a bigger more expensive boat...that's the beauty of this country.

I have a modest 33' Powerplay that is a nice boat (for the money) and it's what fits my budjet. If money was no object, a 42GTX or 47GTX might be in the cards for me. just have fun with what you got, or inspire to have more. sure I want a bigger boat someday, and I will get it.
Old 06-23-2004, 10:00 PM
AT Cult Member #3
VIP Member

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Shooter
This is the 1st year with a miss-hap in five, and honestly, this one's start was much more controlled and much less wake action from years past. Even the bottom of the run, which is where it's worst had the tide and wind cooperating..
How many years has this version of the NYC Poker run been held? If I'm not mistaken (which I am pretty often ) This event started in 1999. And there was a mishap that year also....I should know, I was seriously injured in a 80+ mph ejection, after I was knocked out. Spent some time in a coma and 6 1/2 months in rehab. To much traffic for me...but to each his own!! Had a blast at this years run and will do it from the sidelines again next year!!

Quick Reply: NY Reality Check

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.