Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Active Thunder Flips in LIS (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/82205-active-thunder-flips-lis.html)

knotpropr 06-28-2004 08:43 AM

Re: Active Thunder Flips in LIS

32 AT is a great boat - Check out Best Revenge - going strong!

Phantom1 06-28-2004 08:44 AM

News Update

(Branford-AP) -- Coast Guard officials say five individuals are recovering after being pulled from the water in Branford. It all happened around five o'clock this afternoon.

The Coast Guard says a 25 to 30 foot racing boat pulled into Branford harbor at a high rate of speed. That caused the boat to capsize.

The five individuals were pulled from the water and brought to Branford Point. Then, they were taken to a local hospital.

The Coast Guard says some of the passengers suffered head injuries, but none of the injuries appear to be life threatening.

ActiveThunder 06-28-2004 08:46 AM

Best I can tell from the one picture, it looks like the 600SC boat.

Was there a poker run or something going on?

Sydwayz 06-28-2004 09:07 AM

I thought the same thing too Pat. I have not seen it here in VA at all this season. It may have made it up there.

ChristianGott 06-28-2004 09:41 PM

Last I heard today, 4 in the hospital, one of which is in serious condition.
Their approach to the harbor involves a relatively hard right, into boat wakes. The turbulence may have been too much. What are the steps like on that model? Could they have just lost their "grip", and spun it?

No P-run was taking place, and it was the boat I thought it was.

MitchStellin 06-28-2004 10:41 PM

I have a 32 AT and if it is trimmed right it will corner like a cat (animal :) It sounds like they were ejected, maybe from a roll or from a high side that launched them. If it was upside down it must have rolled. That must be so scarry in a boat that size. I know I would be a different person if I survived one of these. Hope he can find someone to ride with him again :D Just kidding, I am sure we will find out what really happened, we always do. :D :D

Sydwayz 06-28-2004 11:01 PM

If its the boat I think it was, it was not a step bottom 37AT.

Rippem 06-29-2004 04:09 AM

Hoping everyone is O.K. Now, without steps to contribute (blame) to turning instability...can you say idiot? To f**k up that badly in a straight v-bottom (or anything) of that size/weight with a load of passengers? In a crowded inlet or approach? He had to be running too much speed and trim. Hey, I don't mind paying the premiums to protect myself and cover damages/liability from a legit maritime loss...but paying for something like this would appear to be ...this should be pissing every experienced (especially HP) boater off badly! BTW, it'll be interesting to hear if there was alcohol involvement. If there was, only furthering the IDIOT commentary. It'll come out in the wash...

CAP071 06-29-2004 05:06 AM

:rolleyes: Thank God No one was killed. That's my first thought. Second one is, I wonder if Booze was involved. Third thought, Sounds like pure driver error. People like this guy would get hurt if they were driving a Bayliner. It has nothing to do with what kind of boat this guy was driving. :eureka:

ChristianGott 06-29-2004 07:27 PM

Latest: 1 fractured skull + 1 with a blood clot on the brain + 1 who saw them "drinking all afternoon" + 1 who wondered who was blasting out of the Thimbles + 1 who saw the crash site littered with beer containers = ONE group of lucky individuals. No one died.

We should, collectively, send them a sympathy card for their loss, and a bill for our soon to be increased insurance premiums. Maybe a bill for increased heat from "The Man", too?