Notices

Kilo Time!!!! Outerlimits vs Fountain

Old 08-08-2004, 09:13 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 133 Likes on 82 Posts
Default Re: Kilo Time!!!! Outerlimits vs Fountain

http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=84694

There's the post with the 27/30 hour info.

And with racing equipment, there is a rebuild schedule. Equipment that has reached the rebuild mark doesn't necessarily have to be down on power. Or hideously unreliable.

If A ProStock drag motor gets three runs before teardown, then it makes THREE RUNS. You won't see them tearing it down at ONE RUN unless there is something suspect in there.

You guys might be showing your ignorance with a lot of this Full Nelson Body Slamming you are doing...
Old 08-08-2004, 09:27 PM
A to Z
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I thought they weren't going to use XXX for the run, was that just another rumor too? I don't know, I wasn't there.....
Old 08-08-2004, 09:29 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

McCollin, I have to disagree some. We can beat this to death but if motors are designed for 30 hrs, then 27 hrs would represent 90% worn out. If they had 30 hrs on them, that would equate to 100% worn and thus ready to re-build.

Talking with Cat-Can DO 40 Skater team re: their Sterlings 2 yrs ago, they rebuild every 10 hrs. I asked question and that's what they told me. Can't remember HP rating, but I'll guess at 1200 range.
Old 08-08-2004, 09:30 PM
Registered

Triple XXX was not the boat in Washington. The OL belonged to Bob Russel. I saw it with my own 2 eyes . Again the rumor I heard from people who were there said intercooler issue that dumped cooling water into the intake and Hydrolocked the engine. This is second hand info so take it for whats it worth........

Originally Posted by sutphen30
so you hear it from me first hand,xxx had 27hrs on the engines at the end of our poker run.there,but it did sound good that day.

Last edited by garysol1; 08-08-2004 at 09:55 PM.
Old 08-08-2004, 09:48 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 133 Likes on 82 Posts

I'll be happy to beat it all you want to. Whether that is "to death" or "just good and bloody" is up to you.

I reiterate: Engines with a known usage pattern have a rebuild schedule. Drag motors are excellent examples. Their usage pattern is known. Start. Idle/Warmup. Burnout. 1/4 mile. Hot shutdown. Repeat.

Pro teams KNOW how long they should expect their motors to last. Top Fuel motors are ONE RUN before teardown to replace the valvetrain and several other key assemblies. Lesser classes may have three or four runs before yanking her apart for a few key component replacements and inspection of other components.

In a properly functioning environment, if a particular motor has a teardown and inspection schedule of 30 hours, then it not unreasonable to assume that the motor will be as powerful and as reliable at 27 hours as it was at 5 hours.

Your key components that are in question over time on a 2000hp bullet are pretty much the same pieces we worry about in an HP500. Valvetrain/springs/lifters.

I'm not connected with Racecrafters, Sterling, Fountain, or OuterLimits, but I will go so far as to assume that the reciprocating assembly is not a concern at the 30 hour interval. They may go ahead and put in new bearings and reset thrust clearances, but I would think that would be more along the lines of the "we're already in here, so why not" concept. Cam wear, lifter life, springs, rockers, and valve/guide/seat wear are always going to be your main issues.

You can keep hollering at me all you want about how you feel the motor is WORN OUT and junk at the rebuild marker, but your argument holds no water. And furthermore, your claim that Fiore is an idiot if he came down with 27 hour motors sways me not in the least.

Seems that the man who introduced the 27 hour figure was indeed speaking of XXX, and not the epoxy kilo boat so this part of the discussion is academic.

But I still continue to stand firm on my statement that there is (would have been) nothing irresponsible about bringing a pair of good running 27 hour motors to a kilo run, assuming they were 30 hour motors.

Last edited by mcollinstn; 08-08-2004 at 09:57 PM.
Old 08-08-2004, 10:05 PM
Registered

Thumbs up Re: Kilo Time!!!! Outerlimits vs Fountain

177!!!!! Congratulations Fountain.
Old 08-08-2004, 10:08 PM
Registered

Congrats to the Fountain Crew.

I myself would like to see Fountain run the Kilo, and then put those same engines in the OL and run or vice versa... see how the boats do with the SAME engines and compare them in that respect. To many variables for me..

Don
Old 08-08-2004, 11:27 PM
sauron

This just in. Outerlimits to provide a PICTURE of a GPS Showing that Reggie never held the record of this weekend. They have a picture of 181 MPH. HE HE HE

Old 08-09-2004, 09:05 AM
OSO Content Provider
Commercial Member

Received 49 Likes on 23 Posts

by Sutphen30: i know the motors where at 27hrs on a 30hr rebuild,so its very possible.
So it is clear now that Sutphen30 was not talking about the boat that was in NC and prepped for the KILO.

Such a small statement yet became such a big issue. It is better to have the right facts before posting the wrong message.

Just to make it loud and clear:
Per Garysol1

OUTERLIMITS DID NOT COME TO A KILO RUN WITH ENGINES THAT HAD 27 HOURS ON THEM...Nor were they running the XXX boat.

Hopefully that will give some credit back to the OL team...

Thanks for the update Gary!

Digital Photography & Video one BYTE at a time !
Old 08-09-2004, 10:47 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This seemed like the Game 7 of the World Series on H2O for these 2 boat makers to me. All the hype, chest pounding, etc. was build up to this 1 weekend. They both had the date marked on their calendars, both showed up to have a go at the record, and 1 made it. Winner take all, and he did. Congrats to Reggie for doing it. Champion. OL not running is like the Yankees saying "I'm sorry guys, but we don't have good enough pitching today so we can't play ball." Sorry, but I don't think the viewing public would appreciate that if they paid admission to watch game 7. In essence, I think they were trying to sell tickets on both sides from Fountain and OL, and in the end Fountain played ball and OL went home.

Quick Reply: Kilo Time!!!! Outerlimits vs Fountain

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.