Notices

Here Comes Charley !

Old 08-11-2004, 06:08 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Here Comes Charley !

I don't think the Suncoast has had a direct hit from a hurricane in over a century. Elena hovered off the coast for several days back in 85.
Old 08-11-2004, 06:16 PM
Charter Member #319
Charter Member

looks like it will be a one two punch, Good luck
Old 08-11-2004, 08:19 PM
Registered

I am taking the 24 Pantera out on friday to see just how well she handles the BIG WATER!
Old 08-11-2004, 08:29 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 35 Likes on 8 Posts

Good luck and be safe guys.
Old 08-11-2004, 08:43 PM
Registered

A meteorologist from the Weather Channel said to expect 100+mph winds and a 10ft surge.
Old 08-11-2004, 08:55 PM
Registered

Elena was the Labor Day storm Joe. Better now then the Labor day.
Old 08-11-2004, 09:07 PM
Registered

I just hope if we have to deal with it it comes Friday night..UPS is hinting at if we dont del. friday you guys will be in on Sat. Right now they show it dwn near Napels at 2 pm Friday.So it looks good for work on Friday. I have no plans for the weekend so the later Friday the better.
Old 08-11-2004, 09:47 PM
Registered

The way my spring/summer has gone I fully expect ground zero to be Nokomis.

I spent an hour tonight walking around and trying to figure out the safest place to park Outlaw to ride this out (on the trailer of course). Normally it's backed up in the drive, but I have a pretty steep inclined driveway so the trailer wheel sits on top of five cement blocks so water will drain backwards. I don't dare leave it like that, afraid a good wind gust would blow it right off the blocks. So, I'm trying to come up with plan B. I think I'm just gonna park it bow to the east because that's which way the wind will be coming from primarily and I think I'm gonna keep it hooked up to the truck, that way there's no way the bow could be blown around.

I'm getting very very nervous. This is not looking good. I just hope it stays to the south of us. Less storm surge to worry about.
Old 08-11-2004, 10:38 PM
Registered

I hear ya Russ
This is my first storm here and I am glad that I personaly dont have a boat in the mix but I have been all night helping my uncle get the 74 Hatteras at Marina Jacks all tied down and hope for the best!! We have the little boats up at the top of the lifts and tied and anchors thrown over the side! Brought everything in from out side the house and I guess I will get to bed and see what the morning brings!!
Old 08-11-2004, 11:23 PM
Banned

Don't forget spring lines. When Elena hit in 85, it just so happened that for the only time in my life, I had a boat in a wet slip becuase I repairing the trailer. I was working way up in Hernando County that day, and by the time I got home, the tidal surge was already coming up. My dad and I went to the marina and waded to my boat. We put springlines on with the only line I had availabel (an old long line). The next morning I was sure I had lost my boat. I wanted to squall. Sunday, when the surge had mainly subsided. I went to my boat and she was still sitting there pretty as you please. Some other boats in the marina weren't as lucky. Some were sunk from no spring lines, and the water went over the gunnels when the tide came up and the boat couldn't rise any farther. Others with flying bridges had the superstructures torn up from being lifted into the steel overhead cover. I got the trailer done that day, and pulled it out that night.

Quick Reply: Here Comes Charley !

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.