Like Tree0Likes

My namesake (and avitar) is no longer with us....

Old 08-11-2004, 11:32 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

My Boats: Cigarettes
Default Re: My namesake (and avitar) is no longer with us....

Sorry to here that. I know where your coming from been there. That happened to me two years ago with a lab. Got out at night my girlfreind left my house pulled out on the highway a called me. My dog just got hit. I got to her, but she had alot of internals messed up. She died in my arms it is really really hard. Dogs are a very big part of my life.
Old 08-11-2004, 11:46 PM
Registered

My Boats: I am Jersey's B!tch

hey budman, sorry for your loss. i too lost my best friend on my birthday a little after i had lost 9 friends in the trade center. my girlfriend, my wife now, took winston for a walk, and he broke his collar. he ran into the street and was hit by a car. i was messed up for a while. i took his puppy collar, and his last collar with is tags and hung them from my lamp in my office. its funny how an animal can touch our lives, i will never go without my family not having a best friend. r.i.p. winston 1-27-01
Old 08-12-2004, 12:17 AM
Registered

My Boats: 35 Cigarette

Budman - Sorry for your loss. I too as many others here on the board, am a dog lover. I have a daschaund (Max) that I simply adore. I can only imagine the pain you feel. Hang in there!
Old 08-12-2004, 01:56 AM
Registered

My Boats: 1997 35' Fountain

Sorry to hear of your loss.
Old 08-12-2004, 03:31 AM
Registered

I went through that about a month ago. Still going through it actually... My Irish Setter died of old age. I'm keeping his collar and a photo on my desk in my office at home.

Contrary to what some others have said, I've had a much easier time dealing with the loss of some other family members than with the loss of my dog. Sounds harsh but I'm just being honest here: my dog's love and devotion to me was unconditional. He never let me down, never disappointed me... can't say that much about most people.

This is why I still can't even consider the idea of getting another dog. Right now, it would feel like trying to get another grandmother. I feel like this was a member of my family, the one and only and that he can't be replaced just like that.

It hurts, I didn't think it would so much and people who never went through it never quite understand what the big deal is...
Old 08-12-2004, 08:40 AM
Registered

My Boats: 2005 42' Fountain SOLD

Very sorry for your loss. Just remember the good times Bud gave you and move on. My black lab died on fathers day, 1995 3 months after I bought my first new Harley. "Barney" is now in a canister on my fireplace...
Old 08-12-2004, 08:58 AM
Registered

Location: Kentucky - where the women are so fast we have to put a governor on 'em!!
My Boats: Hot rods, Hot boats, Beer & more Beer

BadDog, I'm glad you chimed in, so I can thank you again publicly. BadDog helped me out tremendously by helping me retrieve Buddy's remains from the side of the highway Sunday night. It was not a pleasant task, especially after a full day boating on the water. A truer friend you will not find. I owe you a bunch of Keystones...

Thanks for all the kind words, everyone. I'm going to find some spot of honor for his collar, maybe a plaque or something with a picture. I'll probably use his leash for a successor, if one ever comes along.
Old 08-12-2004, 10:15 AM
Registered

My Boats: 1993 Cigarette Top Gun

I`m very sorry to hear of your loss. I had to put my German Shepard ""Rolf'' to sleep April 13th 1993. I still have a little difficulty dealing with it from time to time. I think that they almost become more than a part of the family. I think that they almost become a part of you. I know that I feel that a part of me died when I put Rolf to sleep. It botherd me a lot worse than when my Father died.
Hang in there and know that you are not alone. I still have Rolfs leash here and his water and food bowl for when ''visitors'' drop by the shop with or without their masters.
Old 08-12-2004, 10:38 AM
Registered

I have some toys and a coller that I will always have. Allways a huge loss. I have two rescue dogs now, a terrier mix and border collie mix. They are both very much part of the family. Sorry for your loss, Doug
Attached Thumbnails
My namesake (and avitar) is no longer with us....-000_0002-small-.jpg   My namesake (and avitar) is no longer with us....-000_0003-small-.jpg  
Old 08-12-2004, 04:23 PM
Registered

My Boats: Top Gun

I feel for you !.........Horrible thing losing your bud.