Notices

Help Needed

Old 09-16-2004, 03:24 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 53 Likes on 30 Posts
Default Help Needed

Board Gods: I put this in the "general boating discussion" section because this truck is used only to tow the boat, so it kinda fits here!

I need help from guys that are using medium duty tow vehicles like the F-650, Topkick, Kodiak, Freightliner, etc... I need some insurance leads. I had my medium duty Peterbilt with Progressive, but I got a refund check and a letter in the mail today stating that they are no longer writing non commercial policies for medium duty tow vehicles.

I contacted the agent that wrote the policy and he said that it was his mistake. He wrote the policy under the RV terms even though I clearly told him that it was not an RV. He said that he thought it was the same kind of policy no matter if it was a medium duty, non-commercial tow vehicle or an RV (motorhome). Well, evidently Progressive ran the VIN # and found that it was not an RV, so they dropped the policy. Why it took them 2 months to figure it out, I don't know. They will still insure fully self contained RVs, but they will not cover medium duty, non-commercial tow vehicles.

Anyhow, I have called everywhere today looking for non commercial insurance for this truck and I cannot find anybody that will take it. I have called more than a dozen companies with no luck. The GVW on the truck is 26,000 and it has regular truck tags from the DMV.

My attorney said that we can make Progressive keep the policy for the remainder of the year since it was paid in full. I have even received my policy and my insurance cards from them. He said that the policy is essentially a binding contract. The problem with doing this is that in the event of an accident, Progressive is going to side step the responsibility stating that the vehicle was misrepresented. This is all thanks to the local Progressive insurance agent.

I would have bought a toterhome if I had known that it would be this tough to find insurance for the Pete. The crazy thing is that I had the insurance lined up before I even put a deposit on this truck. Progressive was my first call since they have our other vehicles and it went through without any problems, so I never thought twice about it.

So, here I am. If I can't find non commercial insurance for the truck, I will either trade it in on a toterhome or send it back to Texas to have the manufacturer make it meet the RV specs so that it can be tagged and insured as an RV (motorhome). The other option is to say screw off to the insurance companies and sell everything, including the boat. They are seriously making me consider this last option!

Last edited by Hot Duck; 09-16-2004 at 03:44 PM.
Old 09-16-2004, 03:36 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 53 Likes on 30 Posts

Oh yea. The policy that Progressive canceled was $770 per year. The only way that they will cover it is under a commercial policy for $5,500 per year. Isn't that convenient for them? Now I know why they no longer write non commercial policies for medium duty tow vehicles. There are lots of companies that will write a commercial policy to cover it, but they are all as expensive as the price that Progressive quoted above. Crazy huh? These companies want more to insure the truck than what it costs to insure the boat! Here is the truck.
Attached Thumbnails Help Needed-01-pete.jpg   Help Needed-02-pete.jpg  

Last edited by Hot Duck; 09-16-2004 at 03:40 PM.
Old 09-16-2004, 04:02 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Help Needed

I hate insurance companies. It took them two months to figure it out so they could use your money for two months. Bastids!
Old 09-16-2004, 04:09 PM
Registered

Try National Interstate Ins 1-800-929-1500. Additional premium might be worth the tax deduction you get depending on the way it is titled or owned.
Old 09-16-2004, 07:30 PM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

ahh, what's 5 gs to a guy with those toys anyways......

seriously Duck, I saw your boat at Tres's, very nice!

I hate those damn insurance companies
Old 09-16-2004, 07:33 PM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I don't know who does it ,but you CAN insure it as a recreational vehicle ....
Look at all the thousands of large 5th wheel trailers on the road being pulled by these trucks . They ARE registered RV's . IT is hard to find the right company that will see ti your way ,but they are there . Best thing to do is hook up with "Good Sam club " OR camper world . They could tell you right away what to do . They are like the Offshoreonly of RV's ! MAkeing your truck an official RV is tough . It must be fuly self contained . Running water , etc. You could do it on a very small scale and technicaly fit in that catagory . YOu know, an outside show, and a sink in the glove box !! Easier to just get it insured by the right company .
Start right out with a good story ! Tell them you pull a camper that you borrow all the time "AND" you pull your boat too ! One of those places should help you with no trouble . Also look for RV insurance on the web . Best of luck !

Let me know what you find . I may need it too . I have my Kenworth insured as a farm truck right now . $700 . Comercial is around $6,000 . When the RV conversion is done ,they say it will be around $400 a year !
Old 09-17-2004, 07:33 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

What the hell's the difference? You don't haul for money(not a commercial vehicle), you purely use the truck as a device to tow your recreational vehicle(boat) to a recreational facility(water). Seems to fit the definition to me. I hate insurance!
Old 09-17-2004, 10:12 AM
Enjoy the show
VIP Member

And you'll probably put less than 5000 miles a year on it.

Call Rick Felson at Hawk Race Consultants 516-466-9760. See what he has to say.
Old 09-17-2004, 12:45 PM
Racer
Racer

Received 31 Likes on 19 Posts

I was always told a porta pottie and a microwave make it an RV. Maybe there was something about running water too but I don't think so.
Old 09-17-2004, 02:37 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Damn Will..that's an impressive rig you've got there!...

Good luck...

Marty

Quick Reply: Help Needed

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.