Notices

Help Needed

Old 09-17-2004, 10:31 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 53 Likes on 30 Posts
Default Re: Help Needed

Roger 1: That's exactly it! What I wonder though, if something had happened during those two months, would they have covered it? I'll bet not.

OffshoreOnly: Thank you for the info. National Interstate Insurance sent me to two other companies that are affiliated with them. The first was Diversified Insurance. They would only cover the truck under a commercial policy. The second company was Explorer Insurance. They would have covered the truck as a recreational tow vehicle had it not been registered in Maryland. They said that Maryland has enacted some tough guidelines for insurance companies over the last few years and that is why they cannot write a policy for it in Maryland. So, if I lived in pretty much any other state, your lead would have worked out. Thank you anyway. It was certainly worth the few minutes that it took to make the calls.

thedonz: I agree. I can't stand insurance companies either. I think that they are the biggest scam artists out there!

Boot: I tried that. I called Good Sam, RV America and a few others. The truck has to be a fully self contained RV or it has to have an RV trailer on the same policy, with the same name listed as the owner for each. You did get me on the right track though. See the post below.

Baja Daze: I agree. I really don't see the difference. I think that it is just a way for the insurance companies to make more money!

Ron P: I took the number that you posted and called Rick. He said that if it was part of a race team that he could cover it without any problem, but since I got out of racing and no longer have the race team that he could not help me. Thanks anyway. I certainly appreciate to the lead.

Ryan Beckley: I looked into that. To be considered as an RV it has to be self contained with running water, a bed, something to cook with (microwave or stove) and some kind of bathroom or porta pottie.

BODYSHOT1: Thank you! The insurance companies are trying to beat me down, but I refuse to let them win! It just seems like the insurance companies are trying to penalize me for being safe. If I had kept the dually to pull this boat, it would have been 6000 pound over weight, but I would have had insurance. Of course, had I kept that truck and gotten into an accident, they would have hung me out to dry being that far over weight. Now that I have a truck that will handle the weight safely, they want to rape me for nearly 4 times the cost for insurance. That's crazy!
Old 09-17-2004, 10:50 PM
Racer
Racer

Received 31 Likes on 19 Posts

I've seen it done in similar trucks. Porta pottie, microwave, some rinky dink water system, and doesn't the back seat fold down into a bed? Lots of the race guys go this route to do the RV and you also don't stop for weigh stations with an RV.
Old 09-17-2004, 11:00 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 53 Likes on 30 Posts

I think have it figured out. I talked to RV America and Good Sam again today.
Like they had told me before, neither company will take the truck by itself, but they will take it if there is a self contained RV trailer on the policy. Then they will include the truck in the policy as a tow vehicle for the RV trailer.

I told the agent at RV America that I don't own an RV trailer. He suggested to go and find the cheapest, self contained RV tailer out there so that I could use it to get an RV policy. He claims that he has had a lot of customers pulling big boats and horse trailers do this over the past few years in order to get non commercial insurance for their medium duty tow vehicles.

I asked him if we did this, would the truck be covered when traveling without the RV trailer. He said absolutely yes. I asked him if the truck was covered if it was pulling the boat. He said yes. He said that as long as there was an RV trailer on the policy, the truck would have full coverage no matter if the RV trailer was with it or not.

To test the theory, I called Good Sam back and asked them about this kind of arrangement. They said that, once again, they could take the truck if it was included with an RV trailer on the same policy. I asked them the same questions about the truck being covered when it was not with the RV trailer and their answers matched the ones that RV America gave. They said that the truck would be covered no matter if the RV trailer was with it or not. This made me feel a little better to get the same answer from two different companies. RV America and Good Sam are also underwritten by different companies, so I know that the source for their answers did not come from the same place. RV America is underwritten by Progressive and Good Sam is underwritten by GMAC.

So, it was time to do some homework. I priced some small, used RV trailers today. I found numerous ones under $2000 that were 100% self contained. I am considering grabbing one of these and just putting it in storage so that I can get the RV policy for the truck. It sounds crazy, but it works out in the long run.

RV America quoted me $700/year on the truck if I had an RV trailer on the policy. The RV trailer, valued at $2000 for easy numbers, would cost less than $200 a year to insure on the same policy. That is a total of $900/year for insurance if we do it this way.

For the truck by itself, I could not find anybody that would list it in anything other than a commercial policy, even if it was listed for private use only. That's stupid, but that is what I found after making dozens of phone calls over the last 2 days. Anyhow, the quotes on a commercial policy for just the truck ranged from $4800 - $7700/year!

So here is the bottom line. Buy a cheap RV trailer for under $2000 and get insurance for the pair for $900/year, or get insurance for just the truck for (the cheapest quote) $4800/year. This is kind of a no brainer. The overall savings in cost for the first year, including $2000 for the trailer purchase, is $1900. Then after the first year it will be a difference of $3800/year.

Obviously, I think that I am going to pursue this avenue. It sounds absolutely ridiculous, but the numbers work out to my advantage. I'll let you all know how things go. As always, thank you for all of your help!
Old 09-18-2004, 06:32 AM
Registered

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

THIS IS JUST STUPID!!!!!!

I understand what you're doing, and why you have to do it.

It's just f#$kin crazy what you have gone through just to "do the right thing" - insure your rig.
I mean buying an RV that you don't want and storing it just to get a better ins. rate - why is that necessary?
That's the part that pisses me off, you have to spend $2000 on an RV that you never intended to buy and Dont intend on using to save $ to cover what you really want - legally!
I understand why your doing this, but not all of us are fortunate enough to be able to do that - I'm still struggling putting money together for the next boat, if I took a hit like that it would keep me out of the water, I mean that's good gas money...

Good luck, but this system sucks...