Notices

1982 Carrera 24 Project

Old 11-30-2004, 10:38 AM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: 1982 Carrera 24 Project

Originally Posted by ernie davis
Thanks for the tip (have a similar problem with a bow drain).
Will acetone attack the glass/resin if you get sloppy?
NO it will not. You may want to try it in small area to test it. Some foams this works for other foams it does not and others it turns into a real nasty like melted marshmellow deal.

Jon
Old 11-30-2004, 12:27 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Audiofn
Or use a chain saw.... I AM NOT KIDDING!!! It works the nuts. Just dull the blade down a little and it will not even touch the fiberglass even with the sharp blade it does not really messit up if you are carefull but with the dulled blade you do not have to worry at all. I just used one of the electric units but I think a gas one would be fine also.

As far as grinding out the tabbing do yourself a favor and get a GOOD power hand planer. I used the Dewalt unit. I tried the ell cheapo and it does not have the ball for this type of work. It took me 8 hours to grind out the tabbing on my boat on one stringer. With the power planer I did 2 in about 6. If you plan to take out ALL the tabbing really have to have a good eye for when you hit the actuall glass on the outside of the boat and know when to stop grinding. I showed a friend what to do with his boat and he did not really pay atention. When I showed up later that day he had ground 2 holes in the bottom of the boat in the corners Easy fix but I had to laughed my ass off.

Jon
Got the electric chainsaw ready. Read in your project thread or somewhere on here about that and it makes sense. The gap between the stringers and tanks is just a bit wider than the chain width. I will be taking the remainder of the bulkheads on the front and rear of the tank area so hopefully they will be able to be pulled out.

I have been taking it slow with regards to the tabbing. I will be awlgriping the stern and hull bottom, but prefer not to bother the the hull lamination. I will try the DEWALT unit as I have only been using an air grinder up to this point. My goal this weekend is to get the tanks out as this will allow to see the entire stringer system and inspect them fully.

E.S.
Old 11-30-2004, 12:31 PM
Registered

And......I hope that the fuel tanks look as good on the bottom surfaces as they do on the top. If no corrosion, then I think the tanks can be reconditioned and reused.
Old 12-01-2004, 02:48 PM
Registered

Default Pantera1

To answer your question..................NO....

I could literally cry though, I have found a guy who will sell me twin 1994 Mercury 2.5L outboards with factory rebuilt powerheads and counter rotating lower units with all the controls, wire harness, prop, guages, steering, everything..............for $3500.......

He wants them sold this week and I just don't have the money.

Can't remember being this bummmed out....
Old 12-03-2004, 06:51 PM
Registered

Well last night I spoke to the previous owner with regards to the trailer that came with the boat. In our conversation he mentioned that the boat came from the factory rigged with two outboards. I knew that it was built for outboards as with regards to the stringers, but had no idea it had actually been rigged with the outboards. It was only in the last few years that it was converted to an I\O.

Before I found this out I was thinking about going the outboard route. I will have to re-string it as the stringers were modified when converted to I\O. This means maybe redoing the transom as well for strength. If that happens I will be selling the Bravo1, Transom Assy, Trim Tabs, 8-71 Littlefield w/manifold and carb adapt, Stainless Marine TailPipes, Props, 7.4 LongBlock, etc that I have.

This will also mean that I will have a lot more room in the aft of the boat to work with as I will eliminate about half of the engine compartment.

Any thoughts/ideas, pros, cons?

E.S.
Old 12-03-2004, 07:04 PM
JnT
Registered

Minx20,Find out Air Dogs outboard source and run with it!!! Or tell me where the motors are and I will run!
Old 12-04-2004, 07:14 PM
Registered

Today I got one of the fuel tanks out, but not before having to drain about 90 gallons of fuel. The neighbors are "paid off" as everyone now has gas for their atv's, lawn mowers, etc. I filtered all the fuel, but found the inside of the tanks to be extremely clean. So far it looks as I can reuse them.

E.S.
Attached Thumbnails 1982 Carrera 24 Project-fuel-tanks-6.jpg  
Old 12-04-2004, 07:29 PM
Registered

Here is another. The other tank is just sitting in place, ready to be pulled. Empty as well.
Attached Thumbnails 1982 Carrera 24 Project-fuel-tanks-7.jpg  
Old 12-04-2004, 07:33 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is that a pvc drain tube half buried in foam in the lower corner of were the tank was..Do the drain tubes extend to the bulkhead at the front of the floor or just past the front edge of the tank .. Im going through some old pics to fine the transom shots
Old 12-04-2004, 07:39 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Pantera1
Is that a pvc drain tube half buried in foam in the lower corner of were the tank was..Do the drain tubes extend to the bulkhead at the front of the floor or just past the front edge of the tank .. Im going through some old pics to fine the transom shots
PVC went through the bulkhead a few inches and was covered in expansion foam. I did not have water below the tanks, but there was an oily substance saturated into the foam. Made it easy to pull the tanks as they did not stick to anything.

E.S.

Quick Reply: 1982 Carrera 24 Project

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.