Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   1982 Carrera 24 Project (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/87206-1982-carrera-24-project.html)

Minx20 09-18-2004 01:32 PM

1982 Carrera 24 Project

2 Attachment(s)
Well after two weekends I have removed the bolsters, controls, electronics\gauges, MM steering, K-Planes, Drive, Gimble Assy, and most all of the wiring and fluid lines. I am now were I can get a real good look at the condition of the transom, stringers, bulkheads, etc. So far it looks as though the previous owner was truthful about the transom being replaced a year or so ago. It is basically perfect. I am planning to replace the two fuel tanks and the surrounding bulkheads. It may turn into the two inner stringers as well, but have not gotton that far as yet. I have scheduled to have the transom and bottom awlgriped later on.
I took on taking off the transom\gimble assy today. Took me allmost two hours of removing the 3m 5200 that was used to seal the inner assy area. Glad it was there as it probably helped to preserve the transom, but man it was a royal pain to remove.

"Before" pics added below.

JnT 09-18-2004 02:15 PM

Re: 1982 Carrera 24 Project

That 5200 is good stuff! Post pics when you get a chance.

Pantera24 09-18-2004 11:51 PM

pics ...we want pics........

Minx20 09-24-2004 06:54 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Stern shot with tailpipes extended out.

Minx20 09-24-2004 06:59 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Stern with allmost everything removed. Have covered all the thru hulls\transom cutout with tape to keep water out.

Minx20 09-24-2004 07:29 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Does anyone have a clue as to how I can post my pics and have a decent quality pic show up when posted? I am using a 4.0meg cam.

Here is a dash shot after I stripped it. Planning on doing a mod to the dash to set up for center steering.

Minx20 09-24-2004 07:43 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Now time to empty all this out. I have found it easier to remove everything, then rerig again, especially seeing that I plan on to awlgrip most everything At least then I will know what I am dealing with.

cuda 09-24-2004 08:00 PM

What are your plans for it? Is that the same hull as a 24 Pantera?

Minx20 09-24-2004 08:22 PM

Cuda,

My plans are to set it up for P5. I want to go through it structually and replace the tanks, modify the dash for center steer, change to a 3 person bolster. I have a place in Miami to awlgrip the transon and bottom for a reasonable price, as I do not know how to spray.

I do not know if it is the same hull as a Pantera. It has a taller deck, with I believe a deeper cockpit. It is also heavier as well. As great as the Panteras are that would be a good thing if it was the same bottom.

With these changes, I will have alot of extras like bolsters etc to sell off.

E.S.

ScottB 09-24-2004 09:43 PM

Another 24 in P5, I look foward to the competition. :drink: Good luck with it

bearpaw 09-25-2004 09:33 AM

Did you find this boat in Cape Coral? There was one for sale in the spring. Like the Pantera its tuff in in big water.

Minx20 09-25-2004 10:06 AM

Bearpaw, I actually found it in Miami. The guy I bought it from had owned it for 15 years. His son also had a Carrera. I am the third owner. I wish I could get the pics to post better as it actually looks better than the pics represent.

E.S.

Pantera24 09-25-2004 06:10 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Minx20,

Try and look at your cameras settings and make certain that it's picture quality is in standard or regular and that the "ISO" is on 400.
Also you may want to limit the image size to 640x480 and that the sharpness is at "0" or higher "+".
Hope this helps.
I've always liked the style of those older Carreras.
Hey instead of spending a lot of money on regelcoating the engine room you may want to consider using Pettit's "Easypoxy" it's very durable and can be applied with brush and roller and it's awesome.
Pretty durable and very good looking. Her are some shots of my old 1985 24' Pantera which I painted the engine room with "easypoxy".

Minx20 09-25-2004 08:05 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Thanks for the tip. The last boat that I did I redid the engine room in the same stuff. It is easy to use and hard as nails. Your Pantera I am sure was a nice rig.

Man the wind is starting to really pic up here. Hope all is well.

The below pic is of a 19 Chap Villain engine compartment where I used the epoxy paint.

How is the new 24 coming along?

E.S.

Minx20 10-25-2004 02:44 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Well now the inner transom is empty. No soft spots, no rot. It looks worse than it is. Has a lot of stains from adhesive, rust marks, etc. I have to fill/epoxy the small holes that I am not going to reuse. I also want to clean up the area around the drive hole. I will also reinforce the exhust holes. It will be so much easier to work on now that it is empty.

Minx20 10-25-2004 02:52 PM

1 Attachment(s)
The cockpit is empty as well, but the innerliner and floor are covered with adhesive from the carpet that is not going to be replaced. I used this tool that fits on the end of a drill to remove the adhesive. It is similar to a wire wheel, but it is safe to use on fiberglass\epoxy as it does not heat up or leave gouges in the fiber. I was able to remove it all in about a hour and a half. You can see the light area where the adhesive has been removed.

E.S.

Minx20 10-25-2004 03:02 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Now it is looking scary. Pulled all the wall to wall shag, and now have the task of removing all the remaining adhesive. At this point I can really see the condition of the inner structure of the hull. So far so good. I now can see that the hull and deck are bonded together. Do not know if this is factory or not, but it was done well. I will strip the adhesive, make any repairs/strengthining, prep/prime the area, and epoxy paint it. It will not be comfortable, just a functional.

tommymonza 10-25-2004 03:17 PM

sherwin williams makes a great one to one epoxy that iv'e used quite a bit in bilges.great stuff and cheap too.60$ for two gallons .brushes or rolls great.stays shiny after a lot foot traffic and degreasing too.

JJH 10-25-2004 10:42 PM

Minx20... They reason the hull and deck look bonded together is because there is no inner liner in those boats, and basically because they ARE bonded together. The progress is looking good.

Minx20 10-26-2004 05:41 PM

Originally Posted by JJH
Minx20... They reason the hull and deck look bonded together is because there is no inner liner in those boats, and basically because they ARE bonded together. The progress is looking good.

My bad, several of my previous boats had no innerliner and were not bonded together when I got a hold of them. I could see the seperation between the two. :eek: I remembered incorrectly your response from my "fuel tank" post about the innerliner info. It is alot of work, but worth it. Did you see the Papa Dukes Key West thread? Will be interesting to see how their Carrera does. I hope they kick some A$$. Gives me motivation to complete my project.

E.S.

Chatim Racing 10-26-2004 08:25 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Hey Minx20 - I stumbled across this today while looking for stuff for Ike's (on OSO) '77 Scarab Mich. light restoration. Anyway hope you enjoy if you don't have this already... Great restoration job so far - I love this kind of stuff...

Charlie Jr.

Minx20 10-26-2004 10:11 PM

Charlie Jr,

Thanks alot for this info, just having the original specs helps out a bunch. I even see that I have the same exhust outlet location that the one in the pic has. I can even see how a three position bolster will look on it as well.

Really Cool :D

Thanks again,

E.S.

Qball 10-26-2004 10:29 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Good luck with your project. It is a fun boat to race... make sure when you are setting up the seating configuration you are able to get low in the boat due to the fact that it has a big freeboard and can get a little squirrley?. I raced a 24 carrera in 2002....they are fun and tough as nails. Good luck..let me know if you need anything. Qball

Chatim Racing 10-27-2004 08:05 AM

E.S.

No problem. PM me a mailing address and I'll mail you a clearer photocopy.

Charlie Jr.

Minx20 10-27-2004 06:28 PM

Originally Posted by Chatim Racing
E.S.

No problem. PM me a mailing address and I'll mail you a clearer photocopy.

Charlie Jr.

I sent a PM.

Thanks again, cool deal :D

E.S.

Minx20 11-06-2004 04:34 PM

Originally Posted by Minx20
Now it is looking scary. Pulled all the wall to wall shag, and now have the task of removing all the remaining adhesive. At this point I can really see the condition of the inner structure of the hull. So far so good.

Well I can really eat my words now. It looks extemely scary now, but I am in it for the long haul. I have spent last Saturday and today removing all the interior bulkheads and cabin floor. I knew I needed to replace the cabin floor, but upon cutting it out I found out it was actually a second floor that had been previously installed onto\above the original floor. It was completely wet and rotted beyond repair. I started looking into the adjoining bulkheads and the coring material was in the same rotted condition except dry. :eek: I think the cabin floor rotted because there is not a cabin door and most likely rain water built up and did not drain. I worked up about a foot from the floor and the wood at that point in all areas was perfect without any signs of being wet previously.

I planned on replacing the fuel tanks and redoing alot. I just have a bit more to tackle now. I will remove all the cabin bulkheads, cockpit floor, fuel tanks, and then I will get the real scoop. I will completely go into each stringer to ensure that there is no rot as well. One good thing is that if I find a rotted stringer it will be much easier to replace seeing that everything is allready out. Secondly since I plan to compete in P5, I would prefer to find these problems now then to find out in the ocean. This is my opportunity to lighten up the boat by removing the unneeded cabin items, and strengthen the boat when the bukheads are replaced.

At times the idea of the "Carrera Saw Zaw Massacre" had passed my mind :D , but nobody said it would be easy. I am definitely learning something new.

I will post pics later.

E.S.

rchevelle71 11-06-2004 04:59 PM

ES,

that sucks that you got the rot, if you need a hand with something, let me know, I wouldnt mind spending a day in a carrerra, even if it is working on it :D , I cant wait to get the pantera home, and start tearing into it, Today I was supposed to do some Paintwork on a buddy's boat, but with the on/off rain, we decided to put it off, so I worked on fixing the fence at the house, talk about BORING!!!!!

Rick

Minx20 11-06-2004 06:40 PM

Thanks Rick,
I actually am not to bothered by it as it forces me to go all the way so to speak with it. At least I have a new transom, and the hull, sides and deck are near perfect. If I had not planned to tear the tanks out, then I would have be really bent over it. Yeah it will cost more in time and materials, but I can be sure of what I will have when it is finished. Sometimes it just works out that way. Thanks for the "help" offer. I am presently trying just to get all the messy tear out done, then I will most likely call upon some OSO'ers to swing by and give their idea of the best way to put it back together. I have spent about 10 hours with an air grinder so far, and other than the dust and debri, it is going ok. Knock on wood it keeps going that way.

Keep those pics coming on the Pantera coming in. Looking forward to see it.

E.S.

RLW 11-06-2004 08:13 PM

I love boat restoration projects having done a couple myself.
I suggest that you unload that masking tape your using and spring for some of the 3M Blue "Extended Use" masking tape. The "old fashion" two day tape, that you are using now, will be a real pain in the butt to get off, if left on for any length of time.
I used the "Easypoxy" on my last project's engine compartment.
Time will tell if I like it as well as gelcoat.
Have Fun!
Russ

JnT 11-06-2004 08:13 PM

Minx20,Keep up the good work! Definitely keep posting pics on the progress.

Minx20 11-06-2004 11:04 PM

Originally Posted by RLW
I suggest that you unload that masking tape your using and spring for some of the 3M Blue "Extended Use" masking tape. The "old fashion" two day tape, that you are using now, will be a real pain in the butt to get off, if left on for any length of time.

Russ, you are correct, it is hard to get that tape off after time, I just used it becasue I had it handy, and since I am going to awlgrip those areas I have to prep the area. The tape has lasted so far as I keep a plastic tarp on it that covers virtually all of the boat so that the rain does not deterioate it faster than I restore it. Now that I am taking everything out down to the stringers, I most likely will use sometype of epoxy in a sprayable form to repaint all the surfaces. Will be easier than brushing it on as I had previously planned.

Later E.S.

Pantera1 11-07-2004 10:57 AM

Nice project these boats are built well ! Ive seen 83 with mine .
Really want to see the pics with the tanks out.. I had a little water sitting under the cabin floor footwell area that wouldnt drain .. When I tried to snake out the drain tubes that IMHO should run front to back they were plugged with foam..I think this may have happened when they foamed in the tanks at the factory..
Not sure of the year 79/80 ish , original IO , now outboards..

rchevelle71 11-07-2004 07:13 PM

Thanks Rick,
I have spent about 10 hours with an air grinder so far, and other than the dust and debri, it is going ok. Knock on wood it keeps going that way.

Keep those pics coming on the Pantera coming in. Looking forward to see it.

E.S.

Dont you mean..............

Knock on rotton wood :eek: :eek: :eek:

Sorry, had to do it :D :D

Where are you doing the work??

Who is painting the bottom, mine is going to need some work too, I can paint, but would rather not lye on my back under the boat to do it, maybe we can get a deal if we bring them both :D

Rick

Minx20 11-07-2004 09:22 PM

Originally Posted by rchevelle71
Dont you mean..............

Knock on rotton wood :eek: :eek: :eek:

Sorry, had to do it :D :D

Where are you doing the work??

Who is painting the bottom, mine is going to need some work too, I can paint, but would rather not lye on my back under the boat to do it, maybe we can get a deal if we bring them both :D

Rick

I am doing the work where I keep it in Pompano\LHP area at a fiiends house. Alot of work, but I can do this type of tearout/prep and save some dollars. As for the awlgrip work on the bottom, I got a quote from the owner of Zero Tolerance in the North Miami 27th ave area. They are directly across from Concept. He had a 27 Squad, a 28 Pantera, a large Corsa and many others being modified, painted, gel'd etc. They build custom boats, but a large amount of their work is doing resto's of older v-hulls and cats. He quoted to do the transom and bottom in orange awlgrip. Would of re gel'd it but he said the it would be alot more because of the additional wet sanding labor. I am going to schedule with him as soon as I am done doing the bulkheads, tanks, console so that maybe I can get some topside design work done at the same time. If you can paint, maybe you can quote to do the topside work I am looking for. I just want a single color on the top deck.

E.S.

JnT 11-07-2004 09:48 PM

Keep up the good work!

Minx20 11-12-2004 04:01 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Well had the day off and got some more time to grind away. Removed the cabin floor and most of the bulkheads. Still have to remove the tabing. Unreal how many bags of debri I have removed from inside.

E.S.

Minx20 11-12-2004 04:05 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Another view showing the forward v-berth area. The white color in that area is resin dust from the grinding. Some bad stuff.

Minx20 11-12-2004 04:12 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is a closer look. The area where the red arrows are shows where the wood used to be in between the glass. I was able to scrape the wood out with a screwdriver. It was like mud. The areas where the yellow arrows are were full of water. The drain holes were blocked by expansion foam. Starting to see why there was so much rot in the bulkheads.

E.S.

rchevelle71 11-12-2004 10:00 PM

If you can paint, maybe you can quote to do the topside work I am looking for. I just want a single color on the top deck.

E.S.

Materials, and Beer :D :D

I'll take a look at it for ya, as long as it is straight, and solid, we can sand it, prime it, and shoot it, Single color is no big deal. :D :drink:

Minx20 11-20-2004 07:33 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Making more progress. Can now see all of the stringers in the cabin area. Still have one more section to go in the forward v-berth area. Will have to clean up all the tabing left over.