Like Tree0Likes

DVD Copy Software Question

Old 11-22-2004, 10:52 AM
Registered

My Boats: 1998 Wellcraft 22' Scarab
Default Re: DVD Copy Software Question

The pircary on the Internet of movies and music is never going to go away and it's time for the industry to figure in the loss. For every method created to thwart piracy it is only weeks later that the method is cracked. Even with the new legal download sites their member numbers aren't even one percent of the numbers of people who download for free. It isn't just that it is free that makes it so popular. You don't have to provide a CC. You don't have to give out any personal info for piracy sites or software and that makes it very attractive for even the most law abiding individual.

Roby
Old 11-22-2004, 01:11 PM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

My Boats: 1979 Formula 302, 99 Formula 353, 81 Donzi 18 2+3 with 454

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcollinstn
Since the beginning of time, copy protection has been an issue. Patent law, Copyright law, Trademark law, Intelligent Property law.
Hey boss I think it is Intellectuall property law

I agree it is not the same as steeling a drive, but it is steeling none the less. Same I gues as Martha Sterwart...... It is blue collar crime (I think this falls under that ok?) I just take issue that people who do it don't see that they are having an effect on a industry. Believe it or not most that do it do NOT think that they are doing anything wrong. Read above and it has been stated that it is LEGAL to rip DVD's Hell I know people that take great pride in thier 5000 song library of downloaded music. I admit I have dowloaded a lot of music however what I use it for it to find the song that I want and what album it comes on. Nothing pisses me off more then to purchase a album and get it home and I got the wrong one. Then it is back to the store to get the correct one.... Also there is a lot of music that is no longer in print. I do not think that the recording industry sould take any issue with that..... The one thing that Movie industry does have going for it is unless you are ready to buy HUGE hard drives storing DVD's on a hard drive is not super practical as evidence by the unit that I sell. To store 1000 DVD's would cost you about 50,000 bucks. I still feel that even if CD's were 5 bucks or even less that people would be Kaazaaing over buying. After all free is better then not free. At my last check Apples downloads on their MP3 site are such a small percentage of the downloads that happen it is not even funny and others the same. That is a buck for 3 songs for some of the places......

Hell I am just glad not to have to kiss your harry azz

Hey you still need a Runco? May have one coming in in a couple weeks
Old 11-22-2004, 01:18 PM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by robyw1
The pircary on the Internet of movies and music is never going to go away and it's time for the industry to figure in the loss. For every method created to thwart piracy it is only weeks later that the method is cracked. Even with the new legal download sites their member numbers aren't even one percent of the numbers of people who download for free. It isn't just that it is free that makes it so popular. You don't have to provide a CC. You don't have to give out any personal info for piracy sites or software and that makes it very attractive for even the most law abiding individual.

Roby
The piracy will be thwarted that I am sure. People figured that they would never get the cable boxes and Sat boxes also. Well There is NO WAY as of yet to get Digital Cable for free OR Sat for free now that they have the new cards and boxes. Give them time they will get it the same with DVD's
They do figure it into their losses. To compensate they just raised the cost of DVD's AGAIN!! I was buying DVD's for about 14-20 bucks each for a long time. Now we are back up to 20-30 bucks..... No coincidence that it is about the same time that hacking software became more well known.
If you think that you do not have to give out your CC number or anything else think again. These softwares have all kinds of embeded stuff in them. Remember the guys that hacked the code for DVD had to be DAMN good to figure it out. They can track you all over the internet when you have that stuff loaded onto your computer. They probably can get your CC info and you do not even know it Ok Morphius This is the Matrix Now back to my worm hole
Old 11-22-2004, 01:20 PM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Oh ya and I can not IMAGINE that guys driving around in speed boats are complaining about a $30 buck cost of a DVD!!!
Old 11-22-2004, 02:20 PM
Registered

My Boats: 330SS Formula 496's
Talking Re: DVD Copy Software Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audiofn
Read above and it has been stated that it is LEGAL to rip DVD's Hell I know people that take great pride in thier 5000 song library of downloaded music. I admit I have dowloaded a lot of music however ... blah blah blah BS ...
Audio, No one said it is "Legal to rip DVD's" I said ... DVDShrink software is NOT ILLEGAL and I'll proudly stand by that statement or post BTW, Every other word after the word however in your post above is BS! You do it ... done deal. You can't draw a line here and then tell me the line is over there! There is no being a little pregnant my friend lol And here I go, I said it was like politics and religion, but here ya go sucking me into this ridiculous 'arguement'

Who cares what impact is on the industry?? YOU? How many albums or DVDs have you released? The technology is there and people will use it and abuse it. Human nature is a b1tch, always has been, always will be. Besides, 'they' have finally figured out this obvious fact and now have begun to 'capitalize' on the DL'able music and movies formats ... Check out I-tunes, Real Player, heck even Wallmart sells songs for .79. Movies are also available this same way and for very reasonable cost (movielink.com). So now they will once again make their proceeds and profits people are 'steeling' (lol j/k'ing) from them and the world is safe again

Quote:
The one thing that Movie industry does have going for it is unless you are ready to buy HUGE hard drives storing DVD's on a hard drive is not super practical as evidence by the unit that I sell. To store 1000 DVD's would cost you about 50,000 bucks.
You must shop at different places than I do. LOL Harddisk space has never been cheaper and it only will(gets) cheaper every day. I can get HDspace at about .25 or so a gig. 1,024 megabytes are equal to 1 gigabyte (GB or Gig) A normal size album is around 75MB so you do the math .. no?? OK .. I'll do it ... that's about 13.65333 albums per gig or .25cents. A typical movie is 5gig or so, that is still only a buck and a qtr./movie even at todays harddrive space prices ... plus once you burn it you can delete it from your HDspace anyhoo. HDD cost factor is a moot point, IMO.

I will always pay for the movie, CD, go to theatre, etc ... but I can sleep well at night knowing that I've backed-up a movie or CD for my in home useage or for the case where maybe I do not want my daughter running around with a CD or DVD they will (probably) scratch the, you know what, out of before it get returned to me .... if I ever even see it again They get a back-up copy that I really don't care if it gets returned.

BTW Jon, "now that they have the new cards and boxes" sounds like you might have 'known' a little bit about SAT hacking there ... maybe for a while??? Like till the P4 showed up

Over and out, Chris

Last edited by njgr8ful; 11-22-2004 at 02:22 PM.
Old 11-22-2004, 03:36 PM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

No every work after HOWEVER is not BS as I qualified my purpose as a tool to help me purchase the correct CD and that is exactly what I use it for. Find out the artist, song, album, grab my keys and buy the CD. I would rather claw my eyes out or be boiled in oil then hear the inferior quality of downloaded music plus it is frankly the right thing to do and if I can not afford an 15 buck cd then I guess I will have to sell my boat, car, house and everythign else. At 128Kbit rate and even lower were most have thier music stored I am not sure how anyone enjoys downloaded music it.
I absolutly care what impact it has on the industry as rise in DVD prices from people ripping cd's and dvd's has raised the price that I pay in the store!!! There ya go you are costing me money Also as a system integrator every time that they come up with new software that is not backwards compatable then I get all the calls from my customers that are pissed because their stuff no longer works....

As for your DVD shrink being legal keep on dreeming. To record off the DVD (a part or whole)you have to break the anti piracy code. To break the code you have to break the law unless you purchase a license to do so. I can guarantee that you do not have the license if you downloaded free software. The license is I believe 3 grand and at that you ARE NOT allowed to alter the DVD in any way. You have to record the entire DVD with trailers and all. I hope that you are not relying on the web site that you downloaded your software from for the info that says that it is legal...... Remember all the Cable descrambler people used to say that it was legal to own the boxes..... I can not imagine that you think that it is ok to get your Netflix and rip a copy for yourself. You have only paid to use the DVD NOT rip a copy for yourself or so your kids do not loose it or scratch it....
Old 11-22-2004, 03:46 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

My Boats: 1991 F311SR1

Hey now, nobody here (me included) needs to get all huffy and pissed on this thread unless they are pirating for profit.

Jon has a valid point and I think we all need to nod our heads and understand that DVD copying for any purpose other than self-archiving is illegal. Period. Same goes for CDs. Same goes for traveling 20 over the speed limit, or 5 over, or 1 over. It's all against the law.

Now obviously we have to put it in proper context.

(my thoughts)
If a piece of software can decode a DVD and allow you to change its compression, etc., then maybe that software is illegal. As far as I'm concerned, if the software is illegal, that is between the author/distributor of the software and whatever authority polices them.

If I plan to archive my own DVD's that I bought for my own personal usage, then if I use illegal software or legal software to achieve the same goal, then that's my call. Shouldn't be an issue, as long as I have no intention of using those copies outside of my own home.
(end of my thoughts)

Sure people will use Kaaza because it exists. I contend that Kaaza exists BECAUSE INDUSTRY WAS GOUGING the consumers. Otherwise, Kaaza wouldn't exist. Or maybe it would exist, but only on some crappy hard to operate level.

Jon is our resident AV guru. He is entitled to his box to preach from. If he feels strongly about this issue, there is no reason to ask him to stay quiet about it. Doesn't mean anybody has to adopt his opinion. I don't quite share his opinion, at least not the specifics of it, as he has presented it...

Let's all settle.

Jon:
(yep, you got me: it is "intellectual property law")
And, no, I picked up a VX-1c last December on your recommendation. Paid $2000 for it (wouldn't mind an anamorphic lens for it, though). But if you've got something really cool coming in on trade, let me know.

mc

Last edited by mcollinstn; 11-22-2004 at 03:50 PM.
Old 11-22-2004, 04:00 PM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

MC I can sleep well knowing that the COURTS are on my side. They to date have not sided with the people ripping info no matter what format that it may be. EVEN for self archiving. I personally feel that self archiving should be legal IF you only rip movies that you BUY not RENT. After all there are other units out there that do what the Kaleidescape does for half the cost, even less maybe. The problem is legality issues.

I have the advantage that my father is a patent lawer and he and I have looked into this issue to quite a degree. Last thing that I want to do is open up a multi million air customer to a liability issue that the industry will want to make a example out of.

MC as for your point of they charge to much maybe, maybe not, who knows. I still think that most people that rip music would find that free is free and money is money and if I can save I will. The technology was coming no matter what they charged IMO so...... Human nature is to save money and they as you have said think this a not harming anyone..... From there I only can point to the fact that pay sites like Apple and so on have almost zero downloads compared to the Kaazaa's and what not.

Jon
Old 11-22-2004, 04:03 PM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcollinstn
If a piece of software can decode a DVD and allow you to change its compression, etc., then maybe that software is illegal. As far as I'm concerned, if the software is illegal, that is between the author/distributor of the software and whatever authority polices them.mc
So if my friend steels a car, and I am caught driving it but I knew it was stolen......

Jon
Old 11-22-2004, 05:17 PM
Registered

My Boats: 330SS Formula 496's

Quote:
There ya go you are costing me money
Boy, I get all the credit???
Quote:
Also as a system integrator every time that they come up with new software that is not backwards compatable then I get all the calls from my customers that are pissed because their stuff no longer works....
So now, you say I make you money!!?? Man Jon, make up your mind! LOL
Quote:
I can not imagine that you think that it is ok to get your Netflix and rip a copy for yourself. You have only paid to use the DVD NOT rip a copy for yourself or so your kids do not loose it or scratch it....
Well ....... errr uh ... Sure