DVD Copy Software Question

Notices

DVD Copy Software Question

Old 11-22-2004, 04:24 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking Re: DVD Copy Software Question

Originally Posted by mcollinstn
Jon has a valid point and I think we all need to nod our heads and understand that DVD copying for any purpose other than self-archiving is illegal. Period.....
nod nod
Originally Posted by mcollistn
BECAUSE INDUSTRY WAS GOUGING the consumers.
nod nod
Originally Posted by mcollinstn
Jon is our resident AV guru. He is entitled to his box to preach from. If he feels strongly about this issue, there is no reason to ask him to stay quiet about it. Doesn't mean anybody has to adopt his opinion. I don't quite share his opinion, at least not the specifics of it, as he has presented it...
I never asked anyone to stay quiet? and I don't think it would even help to try! LOL

Resting quietly now .... aahhhhhhhhhhhh Its all good and in fun ... hence the
Old 11-22-2004, 04:37 PM
Registered

Lightbulb Re: DVD Copy Software Question

Originally Posted by Audiofn
Last thing that I want to do is open up a multi million air customer to a liability issue that the industry will want to make a example out of.
Well now come Jon .. they can afford to buy a CD, DVD or 2 lol

Last thoughts ... It is funny this all came up now (for me) I have friends that just put out a music CD (liveforevernow.net ,,, check it out) and of course bought the new CD, love it BTW , and discussions came up between myself, the wifey, friends (not the musicians) about what was right and honest to do:

- Buy the original copy ... which I have done ... and then burn the kids copies for their listening enjoyment, as well as a copy for my wife??!

- Or ... buy 3 additional copies of the CD (1 for each 2 kids and 1 for wife)??

Well, needless to say my wife won and convinced me (I kinda agreed anyway deep down) we should buy total of 4 CDs uch:

So what is your opinion Jon??? Like I really need to ask! lol ... and you, mcollinstn??? I think I know your answer as well

L8R Chris
Old 11-22-2004, 09:41 PM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: DVD Copy Software Question

I can not believe I did not see this earlier. You make it to easy...

Originally Posted by njgr8ful
There is no being a little pregnant my friend
There is also no being a little bit of a theif, or sort of stealing.....

Ok on a serious note what example to we set for our kids? I mean they know full well it is illegal but we tell them it is ok?
Old 11-22-2004, 09:48 PM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Ok now for your question. Man you must be cheaper then I ever imagined!!!! You wont buy more then one CD from a FRIEND!!! Your wife is correct...... of course...... get used to it she seems to be smarter then you...
Old 11-22-2004, 11:11 PM
Registered

Talking Re: DVD Copy Software Question

I can not believe I did not see this earlier. You make it to easy...

There is also no being a little bit of a theif, or sort of stealing.....

Ok on a serious note what example to we set for our kids? I mean they know full well it is illegal but we tell them it is ok?
Uuummmm, that was my whole point about you dude! Follow along ... Remember? along with the line in the sand comment??? Like I said before I buy or rent everything at that point we may agree, to disagree

Ok now for your question. Man you must be cheaper then I ever imagined!!!! You wont buy more then one CD from a FRIEND!!! Your wife is correct...... of course...... get used to it she seems to be smarter then you...
Again ... that is the entire 'arguement' in a nutshell (I was conceeding and my friends musical effort threw it right in my face ) Buy? Not buy? ... 1, 2, 3?? does the # really make the difference?? It's the crux/basis of/to the issue

I will never argue about your last point ... that's a no brainer ... no pun intended
Old 11-23-2004, 07:41 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 133 Likes on 82 Posts

Remember my friend and my relative? They both release CD's every so often.

I bought 20 CD's of my relative's (the musician) CD to give to people.

When my friend's CD's come out, he (the artist) gives me 20 to pass out. Then he burns me a handfull if I run out.

Modeling for our kids. Yessir. Teaching them to burn CD's is a hideous thing. Letting them watch you tell the waitress they are 9 (when they are 11) to get the kid discount - tht's bad too. Letting them watch you change lanes without signalling first - that's another one. Watching you decide for the family to spend the weekend on the boat instead of coming in and going to church - another biggie.

I suppose all unethical/illegal/immoral/etc. acts are best to NEVER be witnessed by a child. But at some point these children will have to make value decisions on their own. It is a bit simplistic to think that a child is capable of NEVER making a bad value decision regardless of whether they have never witnessed one by their parents. In fact, it may be practically useful for a child to have witnessed some transgressions by their parents in order to develop some healthy level of prioritizing those transgressions. Maybe not.

There are children from drunken families who turn out to be drunks. There are also children from drunken families who turn out to be teetotallers. Abusive families sometimes breed abusive children - sometimes NOT.

A household that rips CDs may or may not create a horde of music pirates. Dunno.

I do know that my kids know the difference between legal music and illegal music. They do understand that the downloaded music is NOT legally obtained. They also know the difference between illegally obtained music that is used to profit from and the same music used to create a background track for a theme party. Their brains are complete and intact with the mental image of Uncle Brent sitting poor and penniless because people downloaded his music instead of buying it.

I accept that I am a bad parent.
I teach my kids to do burnouts. I wheelie while doubling them on sportbikes. They see me drink beer on occasion. I teach them to jump wakes on jetskis closer than the legal limit. I show them how to download music. I tell the people at theme parks they are younger than they are to get discounts. I'm sure there's more.

And my bad kids are compassionate, sweet kids. Their teachers rave about them. They are chosen for special projects at school. They get grades at the absolute top of their class, as well as scores on formal achievement tests that consistently place them in the national recognition level. They aren't ashamed to hug and kiss on their dad in front of their peers. They got tons of friends. Their friends' parents gush about how happy they are to have our kids spend the night, etc..

So thankfully, Dad's horrible badness hasn't ruined them yet. There's still hope.

I guess a DVD burner, though, may push them over the edge and transform them into corrupt thieving savages. I'll do my best to make sure they don't get one.
Old 11-23-2004, 07:50 AM
Registered

Ditto .. MC ... on almost all examples REPENT and turn from your wicked ways! BTW ... My kids are even better than yours!! (of course, right) he he LMAO!