Notices

Shipping outdrive

Old 12-15-2004, 08:17 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Shipping outdrive

The only way to be sure is to have me drive it out there in my pick up.
It will take a few days to get it there. Then Reginald Denny can fix it for you and I will wait at the bar at the Nautical. Maybe I will play a round of golf, drive up to Vegas. Then I will bring the drive back to Toledo for you.
I figure two grand oughtta cover my "expenses."
Old 12-15-2004, 09:09 AM
DJD
Registered

I have had a few drives (TRS and SSM3A drives) sent from FL to NY overnight for around $150 using Delta airlines cargo. They actually put it right on a commercial flight.
Old 12-15-2004, 09:13 AM
OSO OG
Gold Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

strap it down on a pallet, cover with cardboard to protect from scratches, etc. and wrap in plastic ( i shrink wrap them). I ship them all over the country like this -- usually Roadway or similar freight line.
Old 12-15-2004, 11:28 AM
Rik
arneson-industries.com
Offshoreonly Advertiser

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

As it was explained to me, UPS has a 48" rule. In order to be classified "Packaged Correctly" the package has to be able to sustain a drop of 48" with no damage to the package or the contents.

One bit of advise if you are shipping through a UPS agent such as "Mail Boxes Etc." make certain that the insurance that you are purchasing is the UPS insurance not a second hand carrier that they sell on the side as the non UPS insurer will not pay off any damage claims and your SOL.

Also, if it can break insure the hell out of it and pack it like someone one is going to abuse it b/c you know they are going to.
Old 12-15-2004, 11:53 AM
Banned

I had an outdrive shipped from NY to Fla. It was strapped on a pallet, and shipped LTL. I think it was around $100.
Old 12-15-2004, 05:38 PM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

reddog i own a freight co.i can help you out call me thur. 7a-5p est or tonite after 9p. if its not to late.
thanks todd 616-682-0433
Old 12-15-2004, 06:03 PM
jtmiller02

I ship tons of things UPS, and FEDEX most all are expensive and easy to break. I have never had problems with things I have shipped. I have however had problems with things shipped to me by other people. I would say 90% of the time the problem is the packaging. If you box something up and its fragile, you should be confident that you can throw the box against the wall without it breaking, because that is how low paid workers are going to treat a box. A box is just a box to those guys.

You can use a freight company, you can use a pallet or you can build a crate using lumber if you would like.

Old 12-15-2004, 11:41 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by fund razor
The only way to be sure is to have me drive it out there in my pick up.
It will take a few days to get it there. Then Reginald Denny can fix it for you and I will wait at the bar at the Nautical. Maybe I will play a round of golf, drive up to Vegas. Then I will bring the drive back to Toledo for you.
I figure two grand oughtta cover my "expenses."
Fund,

Would your fee be a tax-deductable charitable contribution?
Old 12-16-2004, 12:11 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Formula Outlaw
RD, what do you have for a 67' Vette, my all time favorite Vette. Have a friend in NY that has an all original 67' L-88 with less than 40 thousand miles on it. Only takes it out when radar says no rain within three thousand miles.

The car is in unreal condition, showroom and I mean absolutely showroom new condition. He keeps it on a lift in his garage so he can detail the undercarriage after every time it gets driven. One of the two best sounding vehicles I've ever heard.
Russ,

1967 435 H.P. tri-power big block convertible with 17 factory options. Sunfire yellow with black stinger, black/white interior, bolt-on wheels, side exhaust, heavy-duty susp, tinted windows, transistorized ignition, speed warning. All original numbers.

I have the original hand-written order sheet from the dealer. I am the third owner. An extensive frame-off restoration was undertaken by the second owner who had the car since 1971. Body was being prepped for paint when he had to sell the car due to divorce. . I think he may have been out drowning his sorrows before giving the car up ... it was damaged in the front end (fenders split back to the front wheel well) and had taken a hit in the rear, too. I had Barry Glovik from the Cat-Can-Do race team put it back together and paint it.

The car is a blast to drive and gets lots of thumbs-ups. Great for conversations at the gas stations, too! I'm not sure the neighbors like it too well ... rattles their windows everytime I start it up (although not as bad as the boat with both engines runing).

I'll eventually post pics when I finally break down and get a digital camera.
Old 12-16-2004, 12:39 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Mark Mathews
I made a re-usable wood box. Make the frame out of 2X4's and the sides out of 1X4's. It will survive UPS or any other method.
I think I will do this. I have a pallet, 2X4's, and plywood left over from a recent construction project. Also have some 1' thick rubber mats I can line the box with that would prevent damage from vibration. I'll probably put the upper and lower together and build the box so they can return it fully asembled in same.

Quick Reply: Shipping outdrive

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.