Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Duramax 6.6 turbo diesel question? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/92550-duramax-6-6-turbo-diesel-question.html)

boot 12-16-2004 11:57 AM

Re: Duramax 6.6 turbo diesel question?

Triple lock convert and trans kit from ATS works nice .

jordy 12-16-2004 11:58 AM

Originally Posted by Strip Poker 388
They all tell me the trans is the week link in the higest settings the clutch plates and tourqe converter.

The Allison is the strongest tranny in any of the light diesel trucks right now and with the Edge/Attitude, intake and exhaust, you'll be right around the 400hp mark that it's easily capable of handling. I wouldn't worry about it. The only thing I did to mine was flush it and fill it with Transynd. Then again, I have an unlimited warranty for anything that happens to my tranny. :D

articfriends 12-16-2004 12:29 PM

I run my own transmission business ,i haven't had a allisson trans come to me yet for repair but i will throw my .02 cents in because i had a 02 duramax and now have a 04 duramax,both with the hypertech.I highly reccommend changing the fluid to the allisson transynd.It should have been put in from the factory but gm screwed everyone by putting dex3 in(ALLISON would have warranteed transmission for 100k instead of 36k). I have ran my 4dr 4wd truck at drag strip in stage 3,launched in 4wd spooled up,shifted to 2wd in 2nd gear,ran 14.97 at 89.9 mph,was great fun BUT i wouldn't reccommend doing this all the time because you will eventually break something and it will probabl be 500 miles from home at midnight on a sunday night with your boat behind it!! When i ran my on street in stg 3 what i think i was occassionally feeling during wot shifts was computer pulling fuel back due to it sensing trans SLIPPING during shift. The trans has a input sensor,output sensor and motor has crank sensor,the computer compares these rpm's to determine line presure(it turns it up via a presure control solenoid in transmission) and shift points etc. The truck would sometimes break tires loose during shifts,other times it would "lay over"for split second then shift,when your truck does this its time to BACK OFF throttle!!!Like i said,the computer puts motor in a temporary limp mode at this point to try to protect transmission but i seen the trans temp climb 20-50 degress after doing this a couple times in a row,so its noy something you really want to do. From all the tech iv'e seen there are hd upgrades for trans for guys that really feel the need to flog on them all the time but they are big money. I don't moniter exhaust temp but i tow in stg 1,drive most the time empty in stg 2 and use stg 3 for occasional racing or playing around. Just remember,unless you paid gm for extended warr only major components of motor are coeverd for 100k,nothing else. I have converted over a dozen trucks to transynd for customers as "transmission insurance",most of them are under the wrong impression about there warranty and think its 100k drivetrain,but its not,Smitty

getreal 12-16-2004 12:57 PM

I have the Hypertech on lever 3. The check engine light come on and stays until I turn off the engine, It only happens every once in a while. I've call Hypertech many times and they were no help at all. Otherwise I love the the way it works.

Harper220 12-16-2004 06:43 PM

Thanks for all the great info. I don't abuse stage 3 so I think I'll be fine. Then I'll back it down to stage 1 when towing. Won't be towing anything till next spring, so it'l stay on stage 3 till then.

RonS 12-16-2004 09:14 PM

Where can you buy the transynd transmisson fluid for the allison?

jordy 12-16-2004 09:49 PM

Originally Posted by RonS
Where can you buy the transynd transmisson fluid for the allison?

The Allison dealers all carry it. Other than that I don't know.

Here is a link to Transynd on the Allison page:

http://www.allisontransmission.com/s...jsp?ThisPage=4

Here is the link to the dealer locater. If you can't find anything close to you, let me know and I can ship some out to you. :cool:

http://www.vicinity.com/allisontrans/startprx.hm

NJSONIC 12-16-2004 10:06 PM

If you are going to swap over to Transynd get the deep sump pan and filter for your trans. You will get extra capacity. Here are the part numbers: Pan 29536522,Filter(deep)29537966,Gasket 29536526. Transynd cost me 173.83 for a five gal. pail

h2owarrior 12-16-2004 10:25 PM

I truly think you guys are kidding yourselves about the drivelines (including engines) living with this kind of power going through them. Take a look at Vagrant's new ride. Here is a quote from his thread:

"Well I finally found a rig. It is a 2001 C7500 GMC CAT MOTOR 300HP 800lbs of torque and pulling cap at 33,500"

Now his truck will live under the those kinds of loads. Your light duty pickup simply is not up to the task. 1200 lb-ft of torque ? There is no way the system will handle that. Sure if you want to drive it for 10,000 miles then sell it, you will prbabaly be fine. But going long term will cost a lot of money in repair.

jordy 12-16-2004 11:30 PM

Originally Posted by NJSONIC
Transynd cost me 173.83 for a five gal. pail

Yikes. I think I could get you better than that, including the shipping. :cool:

Oh, and who said anything about 1200 ft lbs of torque? I read back through the thread and didn't see that anywhere. I know my truck isn't putting that out.