Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Duramax 6.6 turbo diesel question? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/92550-duramax-6-6-turbo-diesel-question.html)

Dave1972 12-17-2004 09:07 AM

Re: Duramax 6.6 turbo diesel question?

Jordy,

What should we expect to pay per gallon for the Transynd fluid. I'm heading to an Allison repair shop this weekend and I believe he quoted me at around $32/gallon. I only need about 15 quarts (14 actually but I want to make sure I'm flushed and 100% Transynd).

Dave1972 12-17-2004 09:15 AM

Forgot to mention...I've been doing some reading on the Transynd fluid. It's made by Castrol and Allison had/has a deal with them for the fluid and was the only fluid approved so Castrol had/has a nice "niche" with Allison as Allison requires TES-295 requirement but the testing procedures are vague and Allison does not offer guidelines for the testing. All of this information is according to Amsoil's website. Amsoil has made a "copy" of Transynd based on the same chemical make-up by reverse engineering.

At any rate....through the Amsoil website you can buy 2-2.5 gallon jugs for $154. If you buy the preferred customer deal for $10...you can get 10% off...so you could actually get 5 gallons of Amsoil's equivalent for $148.60 plus shipping which would come out to $29.72/gallon.

I don't have any exact pricing for the Transynd fluid yet....anyone care to help???

jordy 12-17-2004 09:53 AM

Originally Posted by Dave1972
Jordy,

What should we expect to pay per gallon for the Transynd fluid. I'm heading to an Allison repair shop this weekend and I believe he quoted me at around $32/gallon. I only need about 15 quarts (14 actually but I want to make sure I'm flushed and 100% Transynd).

Off the top of my head, we sell it any where from like $26 a gallon to about $32 or so. Depending on the customer and the volume of business they do with us. I'd say somewhere in the $30 a gallon range is pretty realistic and not artificially high. We're also the Allison dealer in the area so I think we might get a little better price from the supplier than a shop that doesn't do the volume.

As far as 100% flushing the system, that's a good goal. Don't worry if you only get like 90% or so as Transynd is compatable with the dino oil that comes in the tranny from the factory.

On the up side, once you start running Transynd, you don't have to worry about dealing with your tranny fluid for a minimum of 100,000 miles, unless you're flogging it day in and day out. Just change the spin on filter from time to time and you're good to go.

happy hours 12-18-2004 09:21 AM

Can I ran Transyndin a non Allison trans?? As I type this I am going back to look at the link you sent. Articfriends any thoughts on the tranny in the Ford Explorers? I have a 2000 I bought new when I worked for Mother Ford and use it to pull a 20 ft bowrider (about 4000lb). It has been a total POS from a drive line prospective . 2 valve bodies and a rear end so far with 55k on it. I don't abuse it and wife drives it 95% of the time. Will better trans old help me out? I almost bought a chip to firm up the shift points and try to limit the abuse of the trans. It has factory tow options with the cooler but thoughts and a second one? Rear end oil and change frequency? it is due for both trans and rear end oil changes (has been about 20k since last failures)

ofshore 12-18-2004 09:56 AM

Originally Posted by 42MTI
Bully Dog, It makes unbelieveable power, bypasses the speedlimiter, and they make an upgraded tranny (allison) that my friends are running with 600hp and 1200tq.

A friend of mine put that chip in his 2002 powerstroke and smoked the trans within a month :eek: I don't know if the chip caused it or it was a bad trans from the start but i wasn't very impressed. I have the edge/attitude chip in my '04 powerstroke and it has worked great since i put it in but i typically only run it on 2 or 3.

jordy 12-18-2004 10:32 AM

Originally Posted by sutphen30
post 5,,, :D must not have gone back far enough. :D

My bad. I guess must have seen Bullydog in the first of the post and just kept going. :D

As far as the Ford tranny problem, it's hard to get an auto to hold up behind a diesel due to the torque that they produce as well as the torture that we subject them to. Allison has done it sucessfully because that's what they're designed for, not to mention that they only build trannies. Trying to have a one size fits all HD tranny that will work with the gassers and the diesels is a tough call.

It should be interesting to see what happens in the next couple years. I have it under good authority that Ford and GM are doing a co-op venture on a 6 speed auto that will be designed for the HD truck market. GM will continue to offer Allison and Ford will continue to offer the Torq Shift but both will then offer the 6 speed as well. Guess they're going to try and get a leg up on the Germans when they start switching things up with Dodge and the MBE engine platform.

Madmax 12-18-2004 10:52 AM

Hey Rob, this guy [email protected] sells the edge/attitude combo for $599 till December 23rd. I seriously doubt you will find cheaper, and if you do, let me know.

My Christmas present to you for all the 'presents' you have given us on another forum.! :drink:

Happy Holidays all.!