Notices

600SCii in powerboat $$$$

Old 01-07-2005, 08:15 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 344 Likes on 115 Posts
Default Re: 600SCii in powerboat $$$$

Originally Posted by C_Spray
With Stellings - Bulletproof. (Including your Bullet.)
Old 01-07-2005, 08:17 AM
JC Performance Engines
Gold Member

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

So they come w/ a warranty. If you had them in your boat would you just let any merc mechanic work on them? Are all merc mechanics created equal? I don't think so. So what's the one year warranty worth? that much more than a Zul 1yr warranty, or a Mesa Balancing 1yr warranty? And if you have questions about your motors, whose gonna answer them?

I agree, w/ Bhunter. These motors are great for the guy who'll drop coin on a boat at a boat show. Anyone really into their boat would probably have it built for them w/ the engine choice of their own. just my $0.02.
Old 01-07-2005, 08:58 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

well, it's a pretty strange world. now they're selling warranty because oh my god! the 600 SCii comes with a warranty. Well of freakin' course it should come with a warranty, it's a big $ motor not a packet of cigarettes. it never ceases to amaze me how much of a parallel world powerboating is. what you would never accept from say a car manufacturer or any manufacturer for that matter is considered acceptable in powerboating. how would you feel if your porsche was warrantied for no more than 500 miles? the fact is, mercury hasn't come up with anything new for ages. in what way is the new 600 innovative to justify such a high price? it's a BB with a whipple on it. big deal. it's time for brunswick to stop being such a marketing BS-driven company and start coming up with the goods...
Old 01-07-2005, 09:17 AM
Registered

BTW, did you know that Brunswick's slogan is "genuine ingenuity"?

yeah right, whatever...
Old 01-07-2005, 09:21 AM
Registered

The upcharge on the engines over base is a total rip off ! ( Merc Power ) We all know the engines do not cost that much to build/install over standard power. We have been getting raped for years on the upcharges for more power and cubes. Usually for 100hp total or less & a few cubes. Unless your getting Merc 900/1050SC/i's. And we continue to put up with it, is why they get away with it. Merc & the boat manufacturers are making a killing on these upcharges.

Bottom line... for the upcharge fee + the original engine cost, you could build some real nice NA power that far supasses the Merc offering, and get a warranty too !

Start building boats without engine packages & I bet the prices on Merc power will come down big time.
Old 01-07-2005, 09:32 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 249 Likes on 136 Posts

:d :d :d
Old 01-07-2005, 09:34 AM
Diamond Member #001
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by super termoli
...The fact is, mercury hasn't come up with anything new for ages...
Wait!:

They introduced the #6 drive (20 years ago!) Oops - No, they bought that from Kiekhafer...
They introduced dy-sump oiling on the #6. Oops - No, that was Weismann...
They introduced the swept skeg on the #6. Oops - No, that was Hering...
They introduced ASM EFI on the HP 500 five years ago. Oops - No, Volvo was already using that on every one of their bigblocks...
Didn't they invent the sterndrive? Oops - No, Carl Kiekhafer resisted it with all his might.
They introduced the 525SC -and abandonded it 3 years later...
They introduced the 600SC - and abandonded it 5 years later...
They introduced the 575SCi - and abandonded it 3 years later...
They introduced the Blackhawk drive - and....

OK - OK - OK! How about:

They created the world's largest aftermarket drive parts market with the Bravo.
They went on to introduce the Bravo III, which become the overwhelming leader in corrosion claims.

See! - An industry leader!
Old 01-07-2005, 09:43 AM
JC Performance Engines
Gold Member

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Gofastboater45
Start building boats without engine packages & I bet the prices on Merc power will come down big time.
Formula, fountain, baja, and even cig would not go for it. They would lose their deal w/ merc and their pricing for stock power would sky rocket.
Smaller custom builders can do whatever they want, but the more mass producers gotta go w/ the flow. Just buy the boat w/ stock power and sell the pull outs, then repower. Just more work for customer, unless dealers do something like like LIPSHIP.
Old 01-07-2005, 09:45 AM
Registered

The whole warrenty issue kills me.....for what that "warrenty" costs you could break a LOT of parts...pay someone to replace them (let alone do it yourself) and still be money ahead.....

Not much diffenernt than a "not so smart" co-worker I have who told me he was going to buy a 2500.00 patio set because it had a lifetime warrenty.....I said buddy, go to Target get almost the same set with no warrenty...if something breaks throw it away and go buy another set......he could do it like 8 times before he was at the 2500 he had to put upfront on the other set.........
Old 01-07-2005, 09:58 AM
Registered

i agree with stormrider. even smaller manufacturers feel the heat from merc even for smaller things... like when they try to use different drives and order bobtails from merc. well, after a while, merc says no bravo orders, no motors either. allegedly, this was one of the factors in the acrimonious breakup between buzzi and reggie.

and how is this going to help the progress in marine industry? leaves you wondering what might have been if buzzi and reggie were left alone to do their thing. i'm sure egos would have clashed before long anyway but still...

... brunswick is king of unfair market practices and they've been condemned more than once for it. but fines seem to be cheaper than proper R&D

Quick Reply: 600SCii in powerboat $$$$

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.