Notices

600SCii in powerboat $$$$

Old 01-11-2005, 07:09 PM
lurknomo

Default Re: 600SCii in powerboat $$$$

Longtime lurker, former marine business employee, driven out of hiding on this one.

First, wrong as it might be, I'm pretty sure that price is right. Not a misprint, but correct. That doesn't make it any less ridiculous.

Second, I wouldn't equate posting rumors of a 600 from Mercury with "breaking a story." Let's not slap ourselves on the backtoo hard. PB has made its share of mistakes, but this time around it appears they were first with any kind of meaningful details.

Third, OK, I know spelling isn't such a big deal here but, for the record, the word is "appallled," not "uphauled." Ask your kids.

Old 01-11-2005, 08:27 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 32 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by lurknomo
Longtime lurker, former marine business employee, driven out of hiding on this one.

First, wrong as it might be, I'm pretty sure that price is right. Not a misprint, but correct. That doesn't make it any less ridiculous.

Second, I wouldn't equate posting rumors of a 600 from Mercury with "breaking a story." Let's not slap ourselves on the backtoo hard. PB has made its share of mistakes, but this time around it appears they were first with any kind of meaningful details.

Third, OK, I know spelling isn't such a big deal here but, for the record, the word is "appallled," not "uphauled." Ask your kids.
THATS TOTALLY LUDIQUIST, did I spell that wrong too, maybe I should use spelchek
Old 01-11-2005, 08:45 PM
Registered

Received 90 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by Chuck
Wow , I'm afraid to tell anyone that I'm probably putting these in my new boat. I have been told that the 600 hp rating is a very conservative figure. This figure is being published for insurance purposes. As many of us know, when the ins. company gets out the speed calculator for us cat owners the 600 hp is going to keep alot of those figures under that 120 m.p.h. . The magic number if you don't want to pay a thousand a month for insurance. Has anybody else been told this? Secondly , I would bet that within 6 months of this motor being on the market there will be half a dozen aftermarket companies with a diffrent pulley and an e.c.u. re-programing putting the motor at the upper 700hp range. Anybody agree? I also agree with some of the other posts, Merc can ask an msrp of whatever they want, it isn't always what they are sold for in the open market.
Agree Chuck - check your PM

I agree with most of the comments on this thread. But we shouldn't be surprised, Merc pricing has been high for years. But on the other hand they have a certified mechanic in almost every marina we go to. And they help subsidize their education.

I'm not trying to defend them, but we always pay a premium for brand.

IMHO, one of their best values dollar for dollar remains the 525s. But you can beat the pricing of those engines too if you want to go elsewhere.

Let's face it, they are not the only company that charges for their brand. What about Cigs? We have lots of other examples in other industies.

Last edited by Mentalpause; 01-11-2005 at 09:28 PM.
Old 01-11-2005, 09:26 PM
lurknomo

Jassman,

Now that's funny. Thanks for the laugh.