Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Headed to MI, any suggestions or comments? >

Headed to MI, any suggestions or comments?

Notices

Headed to MI, any suggestions or comments?

Old 01-10-2005, 12:57 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Headed to MI, any suggestions or comments?

Originally Posted by formula1
Where do most of ya'll keep your boats? With the long winter and all, do you store them inside or hope for the best with a cover?
Inside. Not much more money than shrink wrap.
My guy charges 400 bucks inside from Oct to May. (26ish foot boat)
Old 01-10-2005, 02:06 PM
Registered

Where do most of ya'll keep your boats? With the long winter and all, do you store them inside or hope for the best with a cover?
We've been working on ours the last 3 winters and it's been in a building where we throw a torpedo heater on when we get there. It's better than freezing. There are 4 of us plus a car and our rent is $88 a month, last winter $100 per month.

When we don't work on it, it sits outside shrinkwrapped. We have other little things we're doing to it again next winter (ie making a new engine hatch for certain) so it'll be in a buildng again next year. Maybe 2 winters from now we'll be living in Florida like we want (fingers and toes crossed:-).
Old 01-10-2005, 04:04 PM
Registered

undefined
You said it best! Green Acres! LOL! My wife is addicted to the Cable station TV Land, the one that plays all the OLD citcoms (sp?) (Leave it to Beaver etc..) I bet that has alot to do with her being tired of the city life!

But, a co-worker left work early Saturday nite to go out his wife & friends and after 3 restaurants having 1+ hour wait, he nearly gave up. Then tried the move theater and all the shows were sold out! I think he eventually got to a restaurant, but damn!

I'm sure that don't happen much in Muskegon!
LOL..yep..gotta love Friday & Saturday nights in the city..I'm still living here in Staten Island..and to go anywhere for dinner..even the lil holes in the wall..the wait for a table is horrendous..so you usually sit around for half an hour..then contemplate going somewhere else..knowing that there will probably be another hour + plus wait there as well..

Finally, you end up going home and cooking

I have no patience to sit around with one of those lil light up buzzers to tell me I can go sit at a table lol

I love TVLand..i'd much rather watch those than the newer shows..plus I loves me some Arnold Ziffel

Patti
Old 01-10-2005, 07:12 PM
Registered

Received 72 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by MitchStellin
You are going to the wrong side. The sand and clean lake are on the west coast of MI.
What Mitch mentions is very true, but the Grand Rapids area is also one of the top cities to live in within the USA...always a good economy, good schools, good place to raise a family and lots of room for economic growth, and own a business----lots of rapid growth here. It is MUCH more scenic on the West side of Michigan than the East side...no offense. If you must move to Michigan I would at least check out the West side first before making a decision.
Old 01-11-2005, 01:03 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 798 Likes on 366 Posts

I guess you must have to grow up in michigan to like it hear because me and my wife wouldn't like to live anywhere else,maybe we are gluttons for punishment but i have lived in california,illinois and virginia and would pick here hands down. In bay area of Ca,it never seemed real warm,just sorta damp,crowded,rent was your whole check,traffic-it took 3 hours to go 25 miles on expressway,no place to hunt,had to be about a millionaire to own a house,earthquake flattened expressway near our apt,had gas rationing. Virginia-crowded,had "special taxes"on your dam car every year,stupid commonwealth laws- ALL STORES WERE CLOSED BY LAW ON SUNDAYS(except auto parts store-go figure),nazi-cops,terrible traffic,Illinois-was actually alot like mich but just more crowded and more exspensive. I live in the country in Mich now,can hunt in backyard, closest neighbors are 1/2 mile away, was able to buy a beautiful farmhouse on 4 acres with 3 outbuildings,on of them 40X100 w full concrete floors for 100k,virtually no traffic unless i drive south to flint, still only 20 minutes outside of big towns. We boat,snowmobile,drag race and hunt at least 40 weeknds a year. I had alot of high school buddys move to fla only to return home after a few years because they couldn't make it on 6 bucks a hour in a right to work state ,most of them make a good living here making 15-25$ hour in union jobs,virtually unheard of in some states (like fla) unless your self-employed or hold a profesional degree.There are alot of nice places to live thruout the united states,i prefer michigan,Smitty
Old 01-11-2005, 11:31 AM
Registered

Thanks for all the great pics! That snowmobilin' thing kinda grabs my attention!
Smitty, you're right. My wife and I actually DID grow up in Michigan outside of Detroit. That's why we have family up there. I thought I was rescued when my father got transferred to Hampton Roads, VA. I voed never to go back!
Old 01-12-2005, 04:56 PM
Registered

Hey, we lost some posts after the "update"!
Old 01-12-2005, 05:31 PM
Registered

Here's what you have to look forward to, this is from a couple days ago....They were forecasting 1-2" of snow overnight and we ended up getting 5-6" so at 5am when i leave for work none of the roads not even the highway were plowed yet That's the down side to driving a long way to work.
Attached Thumbnails Headed to MI, any suggestions or comments?-winter.jpg  
Old 01-12-2005, 07:53 PM
Registered

Damn, I haven't seen that much snow since..... How much snow does it take to get a day off around there? In Wash DC, a good fast 6" shuts the whole damn city down!

PS Nice pic! Is that a Ford you're driving?
Old 01-12-2005, 08:21 PM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

if you come to the grand rapids area (west) be sure to check out forest hills schools best in the area. forest hills eastern is were you kids go, it is great all new buildings

Quick Reply: Headed to MI, any suggestions or comments?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.