Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Headed to MI, any suggestions or comments? >

Headed to MI, any suggestions or comments?

Notices

Old 01-06-2005, 12:28 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Headed to MI, any suggestions or comments?

Well, after much debate, it seems that in light of the crazy real estate values in the DC area, we are going to cash in and move elsewhere. Since my wife and I have alot of family still in the Detriot, MI area, she claims that is the most logical move we could make. Michigan is NOT my first choice, but it does make sense.

Anyway, the real meat of this thread is, I know there are alot of MIchigan & Ohio guys and gals on this board. Maybe ya'll could help me out! I've spent the last 13 years in auto or marine sales and finance. So, my career path will most likely be in one of those two areas (unless I can find something more exciting!). I don't really want to be a salesperson (I would if I had to), but rather a sales manager or finance.

What are the "good" dealers to do business with (or work for) in the Southeastern MI or Northwestern OH (Toledo) areas? Any experiences would be appreciated!

PS. I DID read Blaster's thread this morning! Best of luck to him!
Old 01-06-2005, 12:37 PM
Registered

Default Re: Headed to MI, any suggestions or comments?

You are going to the wrong side. The sand and clean lake are on the west coast of MI. Here in Holland we have a strict social standard and you need to pass a vigorous 10 part test before you can live here. I have the answers and will give them to you if needed.

Last edited by MitchStellin; 01-06-2005 at 09:23 PM.
Old 01-06-2005, 12:40 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Aside from family, I can't understand why you would head out here, it seems like job opportunites are not that great, a lot of industrial jobs are heading south or west and I mean WAY south and WAY west, we are talking passports. Don't get me wrong I like living here, but Mr P works for GM so we have no choice. We like the great lakes and live on a small one, but man the weather sucks. This year summer did not really arrive until late July, and then we had a bunch of wind and rain, the best month for boating was Sept. Now we have a bunch of snow, next week they say rain and freezing rain. Anyway sorry to sound so discouraging, I would definately make sure you had a job before making the move, are you guys both working now
Old 01-06-2005, 12:48 PM
Registered

Unemployment in Michigan is 1.5% higher than the national average.

Our governor is trying to tax us into prosperity.

When I finish my masters degree, I'm gonna try to leave.

I can't golf all year round here either.

I can't see why anybody would WANT to be in Michigan.

The great lake are nice - for 3/4 months.
Old 01-06-2005, 12:59 PM
Registered

DAMNNN!! That's rough! Well, I've been kickin' and fightin' this idea for soooo long, that finally it looks like we could go and not be strapped (or employed) for a little while. But, I don't want to be in that situation. I am the only one working outside the house. My wife takes care of the 3 kids.

If Mama ain't happy, ain't nobody gonna be happy!
Old 01-06-2005, 01:09 PM
Registered

Received 730 Likes on 327 Posts

One thing that seems to defy the Michigan economy is new home construction and used home sales in most nice areas. Why not real estate ? Car sales are extremly competative since everyone is getting some form of factory employee discount. Christ if your neighbor's dog bit you dog you qualify for a discount. Boats are seasonal as you have probably figured out.

How about medical equipment/ pharmicutical sales ? My son is going from food service sales into that field. The populations is aging and more and more of us need that blue pill !!!!!!

ed
Old 01-06-2005, 01:09 PM
Registered

Let me put it this way....

I'm in Toledo, and yesterday I started a thread along the same lines trying to get out of here. VA was one of the places I wondered about. Maybe the grass is greener? Let's trade. I'll give you my house in Toledo. You give me your house in VA. Hell, lets trade boats too. You've got a Formula.
Old 01-06-2005, 01:11 PM
Registered

If you get more responses, I'm moving mine from O/T over here.
Old 01-06-2005, 01:16 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 342 Likes on 114 Posts

Before you move...You might want to invest in a Parka, good hat and a very good pair of gloves!!!!

I have to say that I'd fight that move until the end!!! But, like you said, if momma aint happy.............
Old 01-06-2005, 01:22 PM
packinair

yea, DON'T COME HERE

call me if you need to know about a toledo dealer.. I know them all

Quick Reply: Headed to MI, any suggestions or comments?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.