Notices

Why are Turbos Banned?

Old 01-25-2005, 12:20 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Why are Turbos Banned?

Ron, when I say waterjacketed I mean bearing center section. I didn't mean exhaust That has to be retrofitted as I'm sure many are available for boats. Powerboats are ideal for turbos because you have an unlimited supply of cool water for your water-to-air intercooler. This means you could produce even more power with lower grade fuels than you could in a car.

Roby[/QUOTE]

My point exactly. One off water jacketed exhaust housings will be expensive. Add several thousand per engine for the custom ehaust and turbo housing. The question was why isnt anyone doing it. This is one reason I see.

Someone made a system in the past. Is anyone making anything now?

Ron
Old 01-25-2005, 12:23 PM
Registered

I woudl love to have 2 of these int he back of my Nor-Tech.

http://www.fast-autos.net/lingenfelter/427tt15.html

Lingenfelter could probably marineize it. I know he made some 502ci marine engines.
Old 01-25-2005, 12:44 PM
Registered

I just don't see why a wet exhaust system would be such a big deal. You could pump the water through the manifolds just like you have. Then pipe the water from there to the exhaust after the turbine housing. You can't pump water through the turbine but you don't need to. Just insulate it or use a heat-shield

Roby
Old 01-25-2005, 12:45 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by LostinBoston
I woudl love to have 2 of these int he back of my Nor-Tech.

http://www.fast-autos.net/lingenfelter/427tt15.html

Lingenfelter could probably marineize it. I know he made some 502ci marine engines.
That is not your typical BBC. That is a new generation small block that shares nothing with the big block chevy.

Roby
Old 01-25-2005, 01:12 PM
Official OSO boat whore
Charter Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by robyw1
What?? I would have to say that 80% of the turbos manufactured today are water jacketed. This is a common practice. dry turbos went out with the "turbo-timer-luber" call it what you want.

Roby

Huh? You mean water cooled bearings right? Watercooled bearings are not coast guard approved. The entire turbo must be jacketed or wrapped with a blanket. The biggest problem with APBA is proably the exhaust cooling problem as it relatest to Coast Guard approval.
Old 01-25-2005, 02:49 PM
LOOK AT THE LEAD NOW!!!!!
Platinum Member

This man was pioneering Turbo's in Offshore until the sport took his life. Rest In Piece Tom Gentry.
Attached Thumbnails Why are Turbos Banned?-tomgentry2.jpg  
Old 01-25-2005, 07:59 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Roby,
Turbos have an advantage in emissions over superchargers. Emissions are measured compared to crankshaft horsepower output and on superchargers you are creating extra horsepower that isn't measured so the effective emissions output measured is higher. Turbos don't have that problem, but there could be other items as you mentioned that come into play. An issue that does come into play in marine applications balancing the torque curve. You can make great hp with turbos and you can tune them for more bottom end torque, but it's easier with superchargers to balance the two. I think turbos will have a future in marine performance in the future, but it's going to take some resources and development time.
Old 01-25-2005, 08:25 PM
Drive to arrive alive!!!
Platinum Member

Received 397 Likes on 124 Posts
Question Re: Why are Turbos Banned?

Please don't blast me on this, I am ignorant on the subject . What is the difference between a blower/supercharger, and a turbo?
Old 01-25-2005, 08:27 PM
A to Z
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by WARPARTY36
Please don't blast me on this, I am ignorant on the subject . What is the difference between a blower/supercharger, and a turbo?

basically...... superchargers are crank driven, turbo is exhaust driven....
Old 01-25-2005, 08:35 PM
Drive to arrive alive!!!
Platinum Member

Received 397 Likes on 124 Posts

Thank you for the simple explaination. So turbo's make more power because they are not slaving off of the engine? I didn't realize that gasoline and diesel turbo's worked on the same principle

Quick Reply: Why are Turbos Banned?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.