Like Tree0Likes

Why are Turbos Banned?

Old 01-26-2005, 02:08 AM
Registered

Default Re: Why are Turbos Banned?

BigYellowCat

Only a turbo set-up could push that big tugboat of yours to 108mph. And, it made someone lose a bet. I never thought I'd see that boat at over the 100mph mark. Congradulations to you and Brad Smith, your engine builder, for making that happen.

With todays technology and engine management systems, turbochargers in a gasoline marine application is on the verge of success. There is an engine builder that has been experimenting with turbochargers.
Old 01-26-2005, 06:39 AM
Registered

If you are all interested in turbo applications in marine engines, I strongly suggest you visit Hustler in a few weeks time in Miami. That's all I'll say...
Old 01-26-2005, 08:17 AM
Official OSO boat whore
Charter Member
Trade Score: (2)

My Boats: 8' row boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by WARPARTY36
Thank you for the simple explaination. So turbo's make more power because they are not slaving off of the engine? I didn't realize that gasoline and diesel turbo's worked on the same principle

Yes, but no. The turbo's are still exhaust driven and are intercooled. The major difference is in the fuel delivery. The gas engines mix the fuel and the air together before it enters the cylinder. The mixture is then compressed and spark ignited. If you put put too much boost in the mixture will explode before it can be spark ignited which is bad. Practical boost is limited to around 7psi stock, 20-30 psi dedicated race. Now the diesels only pump air into the cylinder. This air is then compressed. Once the air is fully compressed, the fuel is added. This fuel instantly explodes creating the power. As you can see, the boost is almost limitless. Stock engines run 22psi of boost. I run around 45psi on my modified diesel. The race guys run around 100psi.
Old 01-26-2005, 09:42 AM
Registered

My Boats: 1998 Wellcraft 22' Scarab

By the looks of the box it appears you have 2 Deltagates mounted to it. Are you using them for a blow-off valves? I ask because Deltagates can only flow so much as they are designed to release exhaust. That is the reason why you had to use 2 or more. Also a good BOV such as a GReady or an HKS will open much quicker and wider than a Deltagate.

Or perhaps they just look like Deltagates from what I can see.
Old 01-26-2005, 09:51 AM
Registered

I also wonder when you have the carb enclosed like that and say you are boosting up to and perhaps beyond 15-PSI, How does this affect the fuel flow to the carb? I mean the needle & seat of the carb is only good to 9-PSI. Your fuel pressure would have to be much more than the boost to keep the fuel flowing the right direction if you know what I mean.

Roby
Old 01-26-2005, 10:00 AM
Registered

My Boats: 94 43SC Black Thunder

Quote:
Originally Posted by super termoli
If you are all interested in turbo applications in marine engines, I strongly suggest you visit Hustler in a few weeks time in Miami. That's all I'll say...
Does this have anything to do with Keith Eikhart building engines at Global Marine?
Old 01-26-2005, 11:06 AM
Registered

yes it does...
Old 01-26-2005, 01:08 PM
Official OSO boat whore
Charter Member
Trade Score: (2)

My Boats: 8' row boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by robyw1
I also wonder when you have the carb enclosed like that and say you are boosting up to and perhaps beyond 15-PSI, How does this affect the fuel flow to the carb? I mean the needle & seat of the carb is only good to 9-PSI. Your fuel pressure would have to be much more than the boost to keep the fuel flowing the right direction if you know what I mean.

Roby
The regulator would be boost referenced. It's actually a pretty easy modification to make.
Old 01-26-2005, 01:12 PM
Registered

My Boats: 43 Checkmate Punisher

I am currently running a twin turbo 572" BBC. The engine is an EFI setup with Haltech engine management. We are even controlling boost with the Haltech. I ran over 20lbs of boost the last 2 years with no failures. A #6 drive was of course necessary to handle the power. The engine is making 1500 hp. and similar torque. The gear ratio is 1:24 with a 16.5" diameter 27 pitch prop. The boat has no trouble getting on plane. The turbos have water cooled heat shields to control radiant heat. The turbo guru who designed and built most of the system is Tom Earhart.

Bill
Old 01-26-2005, 02:16 PM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by check300
I am currently running a twin turbo 572" BBC. The engine is an EFI setup with Haltech engine management. We are even controlling boost with the Haltech. I ran over 20lbs of boost the last 2 years with no failures. A #6 drive was of course necessary to handle the power. The engine is making 1500 hp. and similar torque. The gear ratio is 1:24 with a 16.5" diameter 27 pitch prop. The boat has no trouble getting on plane. The turbos have water cooled heat shields to control radiant heat. The turbo guru who designed and built most of the system is Tom Earhart.

Bill
Now that is the right wat to do things. But... As he says #6 needed.

Roby