Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   ~ Towing High Speed ~ (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/96125-%7E-towing-high-speed-%7E.html)

Sean H 02-09-2005 02:52 PM

Re: ~ Towing High Speed ~

you can't tow that fast on most of the roads around LOTO, too narrow and curvy... :eek:

BLee 02-09-2005 02:57 PM

Originally Posted by Sean H
you can't tow that fast on most of the roads around LOTO, too narrow and curvy... :eek:

Yes to be technical, I slow down when we get off the main highway. It's damn curvy. Probably only run 60 or so then. :D :D

39NAS-T 02-09-2005 03:06 PM

One time this Excursion was trying to pass me because the lane was ending and I did not want to let him in so I wicked the throttle while I was pulling our 38 fountain and not only did I not let him in but I started pulling on him. I think that I was going about 95 or so at that time. That will learn him!!! Normally I pull any where from 65-80 depending on the cnditions though.
Hunter

Michael1 02-09-2005 03:35 PM

Seems a bit risky to be going that fast (80+) with a trailer. By their nature, they aren't particularly stable. Hopefully the trailer won't go into a self-induced, under-damped oscillation, or that will be the end of it (and the truck).

Michael

Sean H 02-09-2005 04:01 PM

Originally Posted by TwinStepGun
Yes to be technical, I slow down when we get off the main highway. It's damn curvy. Probably only run 60 or so then. :D :D

try towing a cat down 135 highway running about 70, people either move or almost come to a stop.... :D :evilb:

Sean H 02-09-2005 05:17 PM

i probably should use 5, it is a little wider, but 135 saves me 10 minutes.... :D

plus i have only brought it back a handful of times... if i did it every weekend i probably wouldn't tempt fate so much...

Hot Duck 02-09-2005 05:28 PM

3 Attachment(s)
I guess that I am a wimp or something, but I usually stay closer to the speed limit when towing the boat. When I had the F-450 towing either the Gladiator or the Top Gun, I always stuck to the speed limit or maybe 5 mph above, no more than that. On Interstates, I ran between the posted speed limit and 5-10 mph above, depending on traffic and conditions.

Even with the big truck, when I am pulling the Apache I stay at or sometimes just below the posted speed limit on smaller roads. On regular highways I run the posted speed limit or maybe 5 mph above and on Interstates I'll still run no more that 10 mph above the posted limit. That is the honest truth. I may not be the first one to get there, but I WILL get there.

With the money that we all have invested in our trucks, trailers and boats, I don't think that there is any need to take chances with them on the highway. I'll get my speed fix in the boat, not in the truck while towing the boat. If I want to go 100mph down the highway I'll get a sports car, but I will never do it in the truck while towing that kind of load. That's just my opinion, but like I said above, I must be a wimp. :D

innthered 02-09-2005 07:13 PM

I tow my 47 Fountain (close to 18,000 lbs with trailer, gear and gas) at 55-60 mph MAX and keep plenty of stopping distance ahead. Like Hot Duck (Nice rig, by the way), I don't like to take chances with all the knuckleheads on the road.

A buddy of mine had a souped-up Ford diesel pickup. He brought his 42 Fountain out to Teague to get big motors put in. He told Teague, "The boat better be able to go faster on the water than on the trailer!"

Another friend has a Dodge w/Cummins diesel and all the goodies, bigger turbo, bigger injecters, propane, etc. He wanted to be able to pull his 42 Fountain up the Duluth hill at 100 mph. The Duluth hill is about a 7% grade about 3-4 miles long (Guessing, it's steep and long, especially for Minnesota). He can do it! With my chipped Ford diesel and the 47, starting at 60 mph at the bottom, I'm barley doing 35 at the top. But I don't have my foot to the floor either, too hard on the equipment!

39NAS-T 02-09-2005 07:16 PM

Originally Posted by Hot Duck
I guess that I am a wimp or something, but I usually stay closer to the speed limit when towing the boat. When I had the F-450 towing either the Gladiator or the Top Gun, I always stuck to the speed limit or maybe 5 mph above, no more than that. On Interstates, I ran between the posted speed limit and 5-10 mph above, depending on traffic and conditions.

Even with the big truck, when I am pulling the Apache I stay at or sometimes just below the posted speed limit on smaller roads. On regular highways I run the posted speed limit or maybe 5 mph above and on Interstates I'll still run no more that 10 mph above the posted limit. That is the honest truth. I may not be the first one to get there, but I WILL get there.

With the money that we all have invested in our trucks, trailers and boats, I don't think that there is any need to take chances with them on the highway. I'll get my speed fix in the boat, not in the truck while towing the boat. If I want to go 100mph down the highway I'll get a sports car, but I will never do it in the truck while towing that kind of load. That's just my opinion, but like I said above, I must be a wimp. :D

Sick Rig man that is way hot!!!!!
Hunter

Outdrive1 02-09-2005 08:09 PM

I used tow my little 30' Kachina to Havasu with my Excursion Powerstroke at 75/80 no problem. Then I lost my tranny last year and had to pay 3600.00 for a new one from Ford. I put a Banks Trans command on it and I was told not to tow in overdrive, so with the 40" tires I run in third gear at about 60/65. I takes a little longer but I noticed its alot less stressful if you have the mind set that your trying to take your time and relax.
I have a couple of friends with lifted Superduties (38" or bigger tires) and every one of them has eaten a tranny, my brother went through 3 in 2 years. He bought a Duramax and soved the problem. I need the room of the Excursion so I'm stuck with the Ford for now.
Why doesn't Chevy offer the Sub with the Duramax? Not like they wouldn't sell them.........