Notices

sales tax

Old 02-19-2005, 08:24 AM
Registered
VIP Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Cool Re: sales tax

The only way I've ever heard of to get out of paying the sales tax is to become a dealer and use your dealer tags to display numbers. You will pay sales tax in the state of Florida if you title OR document the boat.
Old 02-19-2005, 08:29 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 87 Likes on 35 Posts
Default Re: sales tax

Documentation does not get you out of the taxes.Dont forget,they call it a sales and use tax.
Old 02-19-2005, 08:46 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That's correct. It doesn't get you out of paying it. It just takes them a little time to get it.
Old 02-19-2005, 09:10 AM
Registered

I know in delaware you do not have to pay sales taxes or personal property, but I was just wondering since it is federal documented and not state why should you have to pay state sales tax, because technically it will be in federal waters you do not have to pay personal property taxes at least in Va. But if I have to pay state sales taxes I will register in delaware.

Last edited by lotti; 02-19-2005 at 09:15 AM.
Old 02-19-2005, 09:22 AM
Registered

I think when you document your boat they would look at what your obligations were from your state level. If you didn't owe any taxes in VA, when you document it they wouldn't charge any. I'm just making an assumption.
Old 02-19-2005, 09:37 AM
21 and 42 footers
Platinum Member

Received 119 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by lotti
I know in delaware you do not have to pay sales taxes or personal property, but I was just wondering since it is federal documented and not state why should you have to pay state sales tax, because technically it will be in federal waters you do not have to pay personal property taxes at least in Va. But if I have to pay state sales taxes I will register in delaware.
Mike,

I'm not sure we've met, but we know some of the same people. (I just left linny's shop and James is there tearing down one of the 500's.) Anyway, I have had my last couple boats registered in Delaware. I did not pay sales tax, and I have not paid personal property tax for 5-6 years.
There are a few things to be aware of though. In Va the localities are looking for boats that are kept at the same marina/ location and checking to see where they are registered. We keep our boat at a private dock or a private storage building so no one "sees" it for very long. Also, you need to have an address in DL. I use a dummy corp that actually owns the boat, and I own that corp. The boat then becomes subject to DL. state laws, not VA's. (saved me sales tax and Personal Property taxes!!!!) PM me if you want to go that route/ ask questions/ call me. I can give you the number of the business that set it all up for me.
Russ C.
Old 02-19-2005, 09:44 AM
Registered

Received 42 Likes on 11 Posts

Quite frankly, in my neck of the woods your gonna get stopped eventually if you don't have a reg. sticker on your hull.

You have to pay (tax) to get one.
Nothing stopping you (and/or your dealer) from being creative though?

Boat values are almost impossible to prove, with alot of variables in the equation of what any boat is actually worth.

You wouldn't want to get stopped for no reg. sticker after a day at your local party cove would you?

BTW this subject has been beat to death in other threads.
Basically it's every man for himself. Get as creative as you think you can and cross your fingers. In most states you will pay for that sticker, or risk getting hassled, maybe at the wrong time.

Last edited by Rippem; 02-19-2005 at 09:48 AM.
Old 02-19-2005, 09:51 AM
Registered

That's one of the fears I have of documenting a boat. If a local authority doesn't see the registration numbers on the side, he may assume it's not properly registered and check you out, even though it's legally documented. I would be nervous even after one beer if that happened. Never know who your dealing with and how much they'll enforce the law.
Usually keeps me honest and minimizes the cocktailing till the boats done for the day!
Old 02-19-2005, 09:52 AM
Banned

Here's what I've experienced, If you buy a used boat from an individual you do not have to pay sales tax. If you buy from a dealer or broker they want sales tax. Getting a boat 25' or larger doumenented thru the Coast Guard, you do not have to pay sales tax. Some states may be different. Louisana wanted $8000. from me on my purchased of a used boat. The fee from the CC was $150. or so. Now tell me which is the better choice? Documentation takes a couple of months without any paperwork problems, my boat was repossesed and it took 1 year to get eveything worked out.
Old 02-19-2005, 09:54 AM
Registered

some states you don't ahve to pay tax on a used boat but have to pay taxes on the trailer.. why i not know...

Quick Reply: sales tax

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.