Notices

shorties on a bullet

Old 03-17-2005, 07:34 PM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Re: shorties on a bullet

Originally Posted by monstaaa
i rerigged a bulett , and we raised the x 3 inches from stock, with tweaked 28's she ran just over 80 like it was on rails. plaines off fine and backed up with out a problem
You were on rails?
Old 03-17-2005, 08:39 PM
Charter Member #139 /Moderator/Platinum Member
Charter Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

well as soon as I can get some one to trade me a couple shorties for a couple standard sportmasters i will give it a try and post result std bravos vs 2 inshortie I shoul be anble to do a same day test this spring as long as I get my good buddy Wally to gove me a hand
Old 03-18-2005, 10:16 PM
Registered

Well...i speak from experience and not a good one! i have an 89 bullet w/ notched transom and factory X. running about 650 per side and w/ standard lowers w/ hydromotive cones and 30 bravos (nonlabbed) boat has run 85 at only 5200. I tried the shorties and 5 blade 28's in fla w/ no trail time because of all the positive things i heard but it just wasnt so! thurs night when we put in i tried to plane off in the ditch in sllick water and as soon as i eased the throttles down, it broke loose..finally w/ tabs all the way down and both passengers and gear in bow, it came up! whew!!
Friday morn as luck would have it, i lost a trim tab motor and in biscayne bay w/ a small chop it wouldnt plane for chit! took the props and turned em in and it got better but no plane..finally had to swap hoses w/ the drive trim and tab all the way down and it planed!!!!! whooopeeee..
Saturday, got a new pump and had drives and tabs working and it was a feat to get it up w/out blowing out..if your in rollers, just about forget it..this isnt what boatings about!! As for speed, i was told by hydromotive that w/ the shorties and their 5 blades, i would pick up aroun 5mph on cruise..w/ stock stuff, i ran 62 at 4000...w/ shorties and 5 blades, guess what...i ran a whopping 60! above is what i know..what i think is that if i use the shorties and 5 blades w/ extension boxes. it may be sweet but i dont know that..a friend there had the same shorties and props on a 35 playboy and he was running boxes and it planed great...hope this helped! Bob..sorry i missed ya sunday but there was no way i was runnin in the ocean w/ that setup..i could see making a pee break and not gettin back up! Does your friend still want to talk about buyiing Bullet Proof? have him call me if so..912-313-8686 and anyone that wants to talk boat can call as well and i will share my experiences w/ this boat as i went from stock 454's to what i have now. Russ Floyd
Old 03-19-2005, 06:31 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 344 Likes on 115 Posts

Thanks for sharing that Russ. Planing issues suck!!

Gary...You could always add a little HP to go faster! That sounds alot easier.
Old 03-19-2005, 07:24 AM
Charter Member #139 /Moderator/Platinum Member
Charter Member

Russ I remeber when you had the paint job done let me say still the nicest looking Bullet I have ever seen and in my top 10 of any boats I have seen.

I giess the question is in all of these cases is what was the stock x-dimension

I will have my boat back at the house in two week and measure mine and mayby I could compare it to Russ

From the props and speed you wee running I am wondering if your boat from the factory was not set up higher than mine I have 565 a side and am spinniing 26 bravos. My only run time was the FPC Key West run last year ao I cant get good compaison number till I through it in the water this years
Is the 650 a side accurate or is it an approximation if you had told me your speed I would have guess you would have had a higher HP number.

Quite a few people are saying its all good but unfortunatly I have the same year hull as Russ who had a disaster.
Need to see if Cig maybe had high stock x-dim in 1989
Russ thanks for your input and I will give you a call to discuss this a little further
Old 03-19-2005, 08:06 AM
Registered

the bullet tmp did was a 92 ,stock bravo 1 4blades
no plaining issues at all. my experience with hydromotive
props has been they are hard to get on plane with high x dimensions. the 5 blades should be better but i would run bravo's before i gave up.
Old 03-19-2005, 08:39 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

O.K. then, My memory didnt totally fail me then. I wasnt totally socked in by my alcohol induced fog.

Russ. It was a good idea for you to take the inside with those issues you had. It was a smooth ride up until the last 30 miles or so. We saw 6-8 footers with a 10' thrown in here and there just to make us laugh. We stopped at the Tiki/ beach bar in Port Everglades and had lunch and a few pops, then checked into are hotel at the Bahia Cabana and had a few more pops, then putted up to Shooters and spent the late afternoon and evening there. We saw no one from the run at Shooters. We did manage to have a great time anyways w/o you though. We ran into about 10 friends from up here in NY. Give me a call and let me know how your run went this weekend. Id like to get you guys to come north and spend a long weekend in our part of the country. You guys are great fun !! Ill talk to Billy this weekend and let him know you were asking about him buying the Bullet. He is a cash buyer and all he wants is a Cig Bullet and yours is within his range and absolutly beautiful. Anyways, Call me and we can talk some more.

Bob

518 361-6521
Old 11-06-2016, 01:37 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by monstaaa
i rerigged a bulett , and we raised the x 3 inches from stock, with tweaked 28's she ran just over 80 like it was on rails. plaines off fine and backed up with out a problem
Do you remember the X dimensions of that Bullet? Notched? Dry or wet exhaust?