Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Need an engine guy in NY, NJ or CT, that can do a cam/head swap on a 496 ?? >

Need an engine guy in NY, NJ or CT, that can do a cam/head swap on a 496 ??

Notices

Need an engine guy in NY, NJ or CT, that can do a cam/head swap on a 496 ??

Old 03-24-2005, 09:08 PM
Team Dysfunctional
Charter Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Need an engine guy in NY, NJ or CT, that can do a cam/head swap on a 496 ??

Chris stop everything you are thinking. You will never be happy. By mid summer you will again be looking for more speed. Put an end to this and save a few more $$$ and supercharge that thing. In the end it will be worth it. Think of all the gass $$ you was with the faster cruse speeds you will have. Well at least thats what I told my self

. If you want to do it your self , then lets do it at my house. Its not that hard of a job .I have everything we need and then some. You just have to supply the beer
Old 03-24-2005, 09:13 PM
Registered

Default Re: Need an engine guy in NY, NJ or CT, that can do a cam/head swap on a 496 ??

Originally Posted by Hot Boat
Chris stop everything you are thinking. You will never be happy. By mid summer you will again be looking for more speed. Put an end to this and save a few more $$$ and supercharge that thing. In the end it will be worth it. Think of all the gass $$ you was with the faster cruse speeds you will have. Well at least thats what I told my self

. If you want to do it your self , then lets do it at my house. Its not that hard of a job .I have everything we need and then some. You just have to supply the beer
Supercharge an HO, can't recommend that
Old 03-24-2005, 09:36 PM
Team Dysfunctional
Charter Member

I'm Just busting his chops.

But why is the 496 HO not a good choice for a blower ????
Old 03-25-2005, 07:29 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by JCPERF
Pm me if you need anything.Remember the motors i assembled propel Anna k. around in Enriques Cig.
Oh in that case I definitely cannot afford you... thanks sent you a p.m.
Old 03-25-2005, 07:31 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by crayolacrazy
I would call Tyler crocket before you waist your money.A very reputable engine biulder is testing those heads right now ,so far they didnt come close to 50 hp over stock.Im so glad I didnt waste my money. stay tuned when tests are done ill ask him if I can post his shops name.Do you really think 100 hp would give you 14 mile per hr ? YOU dont have to agree with me .Do some more homework .
Crayola,, I'm sure his 14 mph quote was from a stock 496 mag,,, with his full kit goes from 375 to 525 hp,, so yes I ALMOST belive it....

Last edited by Chris288; 03-25-2005 at 07:39 AM.
Old 03-25-2005, 07:33 AM
Registered

Thanks for the offer Paulie,,, just trying to get an idea what a pro would charge before I even think about unbuttoning this baby myself...

P.S. cruising down to the city w/ Jill I will save a fortune,,, when we left last time she said she would be cruising around 45-50 and if I didn't want to wait for her to go ahead,, I said no problem,, we ended up cruising at 35-37 GPS,, I was bored outta my mind she said well my speedo says 45...

P.S.S. supercharging a 496 is a bad idea because of the stock cast piston design,,, top ring is very close to the top of the piston and is known to fail... REALLY should change the pistons if your gonna S.C. a 496..
Old 03-25-2005, 08:39 AM
Registered

If thats the case, I would throw a set of pistons in the job as well.
See how these things get outta hand
Old 03-25-2005, 08:41 AM
Registered

Based on this logic I think you should both buy CATS!
Old 03-25-2005, 09:08 AM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Thumbs up Re: Need an engine guy in NY, NJ or CT, that can do a cam/head swap on a 496 ??

Hey Chris:
Glad you are considering our kit. As they say, don't believe everything you read on these threads! In about a week a major performance boat magazine will have a full article out on our kit. a complete before and after test on a 496HO before and after a Raylar kit, with the motor on a dyno before Raylar and on the same dyno, that day after Raylar! With the dyno being the biggest independant dyno operator in the country! An in the water before and after with the customers comments and installers input. Should put to rest all the uninformed nay sayers who don't by my kits, but somehow know that buying such is a waste of money! I can assure anyone who is interested in our kits that the 100HP increase is real. You and I know that the 496Mag is 375HP and with only the cam and ecm different, adding our kit and taking it up to 525HP which will add a real 150HP can obviously increase the speed of your boat significantly with the right prop selection as many on this site can attest to.

Thanks,
Ray @ Raylar
Old 03-25-2005, 09:22 AM
Registered

Thanks Chrissy,,, add some more FUEL to the fire...

The cat isn't the problem,,, it's the insurance that would kill me..

P.S. Ray,, as soon as I find a qualified installer at a fair price,, I'll be in touch..

Last edited by Chris288; 03-25-2005 at 09:25 AM.

Quick Reply: Need an engine guy in NY, NJ or CT, that can do a cam/head swap on a 496 ??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.