Notices

TRS question...

Old 03-30-2005, 04:44 PM
Registered

Received 3,018 Likes on 987 Posts
Default Re: TRS question...

Originally Posted by Pantera1
If you look at the fact that a trs boat vs a bravo boat may be 25% cheaper initial purchase price and youll be replacin bravos/parts pretty often.. Id think you could buy a better boat do Konrads right away and still be ahead.
TRS parts will be around for a looooong time
Yea, there is that. Or you can just do what I did and buy a 3A boat and not worry about it!

You really think they'll be around a long time? No one's making any parts anymore right? Not even aftermarket stuff?
Old 03-30-2005, 05:07 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by thisistank
I've never owned a TRS boat but it would SERIOUSLY scare me to own a boat and have drives that parts are getting more scarce everyday and someday (probably sooner than later) will be completely gone.

I know you can bolt on the Konrads and everyone talks like it's no biggie and everything but they're forgetting one little part...Konrads are like 8-10k a side plus labor. Not really what I want to do after plopping down 75k on a boat.

From what I'm told from every mechanic I talk with is they were great drives. Key word WERE. But hey, the boat is priced well and looks to be SUPER clean and I like that paint too. If you have the cash to be able to throw some Konrads on in future than go for it. Just my .02.
As with any mechanical device, if you exceed the design capabilities of the TRS you will be buying parts for it.
As for parts shortages, call the reputable drive shops and talk with them about it. I think Mr Cig just got two rebuilt and he didn't mention anything about "parts shortages". In fact, I think he might have four of them for sale, as I've heard he's installing Konrads.
I wouldn't be afraid of any boat with healthy TRS drives. In fact, I was looking for a 38 Cigarette WITH TRS drives and couldn't find one at that time so I found one with SSM IIIA's. If you want to have serious cash outlay just have one of those rebuilt.
Jay13, if you and the wife like the boat and the deal is good for you, Get a buy-sell agreement with theseller leaving you the three standard "outs", which are survey, sea-trial and personal inspection.
Old 03-30-2005, 06:04 PM
Charter Member#330
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Buying a boat with TRS there is nothing wrong with that.
1st you get a more reliable drive and smoother shifting then the Bravo.
2nd the props are way cheaper then a boat with 3A's and the cost to rebuid a 3A is not cheap.
3rd. If you want to keep a spare set of TRS drives in case you need one I have 4 for sale. 2 just rebuilt 2 used. for cheaper then a bravo drive.
I am converting mine to Konrads, they should be here next weeks. I plan on keeping my boat for a long while so the investment is my choice.
I ran the boat for 4 years and never had a drive failure and the drives were on the boat long before that so who knows how long they lasted with out failure before that.
Just my .02

Mark

p.s. Great looking boat, I'd buy it.
Old 03-30-2005, 07:12 PM
Registered

well my thing is I want a 41 not a 36.
But I have to say that is one sexy looking rig for a 36.
I dont know what they were doing with the extra fairing on the 36's and the 41's back in the day but I like the more streamline look not the abrupt almost vertical fairing part at the top of the lower fairing.
the 36 apache that was taken on trade for Kageman had this fairing, problem is I dont think you can remove it for all the gauges were installed in it.
Not sure though, then again everything can be taken apart im sure to a point.
Im talking to 2 apache people at the moment for their boats.
If I get disgusted and turned off by both of these deals then I might look more closely at this 36 if it is still on the market at that time.
Really want a 41 though, then I wont get 3 foot itis later on.

Wife said to me when I was looking at 42 fountains she said I like the lines and the look of the apache's better.
I said well you cant compare the 2, one is built for extreme rough water the other one is just all about speed.
She said go look for apache's, so I did, and that 36 caught her eye both in looks and in price.
I also agree with tank on this one, 20-25 grand to drop on 2 drives and then props ect is an awful large sum of money and in my opinion, the Konrads have not been around long enough to prove themselves to be a 10-15 year drive.
I see you guys bashing the bravo's
I have bravos on the baja and 400 HP in front of each one and I have never ever skipped a beat with either one of them.
I see boats with upwards to 750 HP in front of bravos and they handle that.
In my opinion its all how hard you drive your boat and the physical characteristics of it that have alot to do with the bravo's either living a long time or an early demise.
I run offshore once in a while in the atlantic but im forgiving on my drives and engines, Im not out there from WOT to idle and WOT for 200 hours.
I like to cruise around 55 or there abouts and just run
Thats me though
J
Old 03-30-2005, 07:23 PM
Gone Fishin'
Charter Member

What are they asking for that boat? Would the bank "over loan" you so you could swap to Konrads from the get go? Biggus has been beating the crap out of a set of Konrads with some good hp in front of them and has had NO issues in I think over 200 hours.

For that matter, how much hp does that boat have? If it's 500hp or less per side I wouldn't be afraid of the TRS one bit. It's a beautiful boat and if I were in any position to be buying a boat of that caliber, I'd be looking at that one seriously.
Old 03-30-2005, 07:30 PM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

As far as the cost of Konrads being high, I couldn't disagree more! I'll be happy to sell anyone a complete pair with gimbals and install them for $22K. Try doing a Bravo conversion for that price out the door! I almost forgot, it'll be done in 2 days.
Old 03-30-2005, 07:35 PM
Registered

I just put a set on my own boat, Fountain 8.8 with a pair of 675 hp motors up front. The drive conversion took me an afternoon. Granted the motors are out but it doesn't take much longer with them in.

MrCig, give me a call if you need any help with the install. It's an easy job. You'll spend more time cleaning your transom than actually working on the drives.

Fionn (Finn)
[email protected]
Old 03-30-2005, 08:42 PM
Charter Member#330
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Lofty
I just put a set on my own boat, Fountain 8.8 with a pair of 675 hp motors up front. The drive conversion took me an afternoon. Granted the motors are out but it doesn't take much longer with them in.

MrCig, give me a call if you need any help with the install. It's an easy job. You'll spend more time cleaning your transom than actually working on the drives.

Fionn (Finn)
[email protected]
Thanks Fionn
My motors are out also so it should be pretty easy. I hope to do them in 2 weeks. I have some clean up to do in the bilge this weekend and get the trans's put back on the motors. I'll call if I need anything. Got any more pictures
I'll be taking pics of my conversion also.

Thanks
Mark
Old 03-30-2005, 09:30 PM
Registered

Mark,
Are ya'll going to have the boat in the water by GREASTER (GREEK EASTER)? Maybe we can go for a ride when we're up there, if not this time, in July when we come back to visit.

Robert
Old 03-30-2005, 09:48 PM
Registered

Mark,
It won't take too long if the motors are out. Just clean everything up really good first and it'll go smooth. Konrad does a great job of kitting these things up so you can just bolt them on as advertised. Like I said before, call if you need anything.

Fionn

Quick Reply: TRS question...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.