Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
GGB Extreme Mufflers did the job!!! >

GGB Extreme Mufflers did the job!!!

Notices

GGB Extreme Mufflers did the job!!!

Old 04-17-2005, 06:39 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: GGB Extreme Mufflers did the job!!!

Originally Posted by Cord
I wish I had as spectacular of results. When I tried the GGB mufflers inserted into my existing 4.5" tailpipes, I didn't see a db reduction. There was slight change in tone, but nothing showed up on the meter. After some minor discussions, GGB agreed to buy them back.

Are you running dry pipes? I put GGB inserts in my dry Stellings and saw a 9db reduction. It was not enough though. The clamp on extremes are much better if you need to lower your db's by 10 or more.
Old 04-17-2005, 06:44 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Troutly
Speaking of the prop. Clearance looks tight to the cav' plate . Has that one been lab finished yet?
There was about 3/16" clearance, more than enough. I just put a Bmax shorty on and had to grind the cav. plate to get 1/8" clearance. Still trying to test it. The tide was out so today was a bust.
Old 04-19-2005, 02:10 PM
BBB
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The noise natzies are out in full force here in ca. and az. went to lake havasu for a week last week and they almost did not let me launch at the LHC marina, SAE J 2005 is measured at 1.5 meters behind the boat at idle. 90 deb for newer boats and 88 deb for older, I went to custom modified tips (under water line) .after I got to the ramp they actualy sent another guy down to watch me launch, and a nother guy was walking around with a db meter. nice and quiet untill I get on plane.then they have to chase me down and do a SAE J134 test, What in the HE** is this country coming to.
Old 04-19-2005, 02:14 PM
BBB
Registered

correction 90 db for older and 88 for newer
Old 04-19-2005, 05:40 PM
Masher touches my
Gold Member

Originally Posted by BBB
The noise natzies are out in full force here in ca. and az. went to lake havasu for a week last week and they almost did not let me launch at the LHC marina, SAE J 2005 is measured at 1.5 meters behind the boat at idle. 90 deb for newer boats and 88 deb for older, I went to custom modified tips (under water line) .after I got to the ramp they actualy sent another guy down to watch me launch, and a nother guy was walking around with a db meter. nice and quiet untill I get on plane.then they have to chase me down and do a SAE J134 test, What in the HE** is this country coming to.

Have they ever bothered you launching at Windsor? I plan on launching at the Nautical next week. I'm hoping that there will be so many loud boats on the water they wont have time to figure out who's doing what. I'm pretty much out of time to figure out what mufflers I need so I'm going with it the way it is. Plus I just dont really want to put them on, I like the sound of my exhaust......
Old 04-19-2005, 05:53 PM
Official OSO boat whore
Charter Member

Originally Posted by zt260
Are you running dry pipes? I put GGB inserts in my dry Stellings and saw a 9db reduction. It was not enough though. The clamp on extremes are much better if you need to lower your db's by 10 or more.
Not dry. Lets call them "damp". These were the external add-on's installed after my Teague mufflers. Readings were taken with the Teagues open or closed.
Old 04-19-2005, 07:16 PM
GGB
Registered

Originally Posted by Cord
Not dry. Lets call them "damp". These were the external add-on's installed after my Teague mufflers. Readings were taken with the Teagues open or closed.
Hey Cord,

The reason you didin't see much difference in sound with the inserts is mainly because of the Teague's in front of them. Even in the open position, the Teague switchable actually reduces a certain amount of sound via the slotted 4" tube that the actual flap is mounted on inside the 4.5" tube. These slots direct the exhaust and sound around the flap when it's in the closed postion and ultimately cancelled enough sound in the open position to make the GGB insert you installed alot less effective.

Bottom line is, any mufflling device installed "behind" another, makes the second alot less effective.

It's to bad they didn't work out for you, but rest assured we've had a few more of the same scenarios since your install.

Graham
Old 04-19-2005, 10:06 PM
Official OSO boat whore
Charter Member

I believe what you say is true. The good news for other potential buyers out there is that Graham was willing to buy them back when the muffs wouldn't work for me. You can't ask for anything better than that!
Old 04-20-2005, 07:52 AM
Registered

Do you guys have your own decible meters or are you getting checked on a regular basis by law enforcement? What can be expected as far as power loss on a 600 CI NA motor running 6300 - 6500 RPM with the GGB's?

Craig
Old 04-20-2005, 08:24 AM
Registered

I would expect no lose at all, other than noise. These mufflers are not restrictive.

Quick Reply: GGB Extreme Mufflers did the job!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.