Power Sterring fluid filter

Notices

Power Sterring fluid filter

Old 04-18-2005, 07:57 AM
Rob
VIP Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Power Sterring fluid filter

Is the power sterring pump filter really needed?

The only reason I can think of is if you have a pump go bad it dosent contaiminate the rest of the system.What do you think?
Attached Thumbnails Power Sterring fluid filter-filter-1.bmp  

The Only Time You Have To Much Ammo Is When Your Swimming Or On Fire.
Old 04-18-2005, 08:36 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: Power Sterring fluid filter

I sell custom-engineered machinery and most of it is powered by hydraulics. Virtually every manufacturer puts a filter in the pressure line temporarily- that's to remove any assembly junk like bits of rubber and such. After several cycles, the filter is removed.

The only reason to filter is if there's some way the system could become contaminated during use. Not likely on boat steering. The fluid does need to be changed occasionally.
Old 04-18-2005, 09:35 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

You can get a filter at your local hydraulic shop for around $30 . I pieced together a full helm, dual ram system for under $1700 using the same componets everyone else uses.You just have to cut out the middle man.
Old 04-18-2005, 09:38 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey Rob, you're making me laugh. Is it that the filter doesn't have enough Bling Bling compared to those new shiny blowers or is there no place to bolt it on? Stabbin' the motors yesterday couldn't have gone too bad if your only tech post involves the power steering filter. I hope your pulleys arrive today. Later.. Lou
Old 04-18-2005, 05:00 PM
Rob
VIP Member

Originally Posted by Lmarth
Hey Rob, you're making me laugh. Is it that the filter doesn't have enough Bling Bling compared to those new shiny blowers or is there no place to bolt it on? Stabbin' the motors yesterday couldn't have gone too bad if your only tech post involves the power steering filter. I hope your pulleys arrive today. Later.. Lou
Motors were a bitzh to get in,The rear motor mount bolts I guess it needed some hair around them . The old filter was mounted on top of the valve cover ,I was thinking about leaving it off or remounting it to clean up the top of the motor . The motors look good in the bilge ,Bling bling I guess I will be polishing after each weekend ..

Yea I am still bent out of shape about not having any pulleys . Hope the show up Tues

Does anybody NOT run a filter . I guess it protects you if a pump takes a dump ?

Thank you all for your input

Rob

Old 04-18-2005, 05:57 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Rob- I'm still running the filter. It's on top of the valve cover next to the blower manifold. I honestly can't remember where it's attached. I guess you could mount it under the lip on the side of the hatch opening or on the transom. Lining up those motor mounts I'm sure can be a pain in the butt. It would help to have 2-3 knowledgeable guys to wrestle things so they line up. Kind of reminds me of installing that long channel bracket that GM uses to connect the transmission to the differential. Just keep your cool, you're almost home! Lou
Old 04-19-2005, 12:17 AM
Rob
VIP Member

Originally Posted by Lmarth
Rob- I'm still running the filter. It's on top of the valve cover next to the blower manifold. I honestly can't remember where it's attached. I guess you could mount it under the lip on the side of the hatch opening or on the transom. Lining up those motor mounts I'm sure can be a pain in the butt. It would help to have 2-3 knowledgeable guys to wrestle things so they line up. Kind of reminds me of installing that long channel bracket that GM uses to connect the transmission to the differential. Just keep your cool, you're almost home! Lou
I just talked to predro at Machine Marine and he said that hustler had them make it that way so they could put it on the valve cover. The main reason its on there is if the pump fails it pukes metal.

What to do?

Old 04-19-2005, 06:00 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 1,295 Likes on 449 Posts

Rob, look at it this way, you have had the boat for a few years with no pump failure, so it's like an insurance policy, nice to have when you need it, but only then, if you keep up on the fluid levels and watch for leaks. That is really the only way the pump would go. the bearings are constantly submerged, and power steering and trans fluid are basically the same. I actually run trans fuid in my 311 PS with IMCO hydraulic.
Old 04-19-2005, 07:15 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

I ran one for a year after adding hyd steering. The steering started getting real hard to turn, so I checked the filter and it was clogged with debris from the new hydraulic lines.

As another option, check out this filter. It can go right in the lines without mounting. Go to www.summitracing.com and look at part number EAR-230208ERL